PDA

View Full Version : Casting Pot: Safety Question

Pete E
07-11-2011, 06:04 PM
I am just in the process of getting started in casting.

For the initial smelt of my WW, I was intending to use a SS saucepan from the kitchen...

The pan is of decent quality SS but I notice it has what is termed a "forged encapsulated base"..It doesn't specify exactly what its made of though..

It looks the base of the pan has had a conducted layer added outside, and the another stainless steel out pressed over it to secure it to the pan...

My concern is that its likely the "inner core" is actually aluminium and it may slump unde the heat...

Obviously this would happen between the two layers of stainless steel, and it would be contained, but would it degrade the strength of the base overall to the point it might be a problem?

The pan is not huge, just 8" wide by 4" deep internally, but that is still capable of hold a substantial weight of molten lead..

If its likely the pan is not suitable, I'd prefer not to ruin it finding out and would just buy a £10 stainless steel stock pot with a plain base, but probably of a thinner gauge of metal...

Regards,

Peter

Mk42gunner
07-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Peter,

You aren't planning on returning the pot to the kitchen after melting lead in it are you?

Look around for some cheap heavy stainless cookware, perhaps from a commercial supplier.

Robert

Pete E
07-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Peter,

You aren't planning on returning the pot to the kitchen after melting lead in it are you?

Not at all...However it a useable pot right now and I would hate to ruin it for kitchen use by smelting in it, only to find it was suitable after all...

Look around for some cheap heavy stainless cookware, perhaps from a commercial supplier.
Robert

If the existing pan is not suitable, I think that might be the answer if I can find something not too expensive..(cost of living is generally much higher over here)

Regards,

Peter

dragonrider
07-11-2011, 07:08 PM
The pan bottom is laminated probably with aluminum in between two stainless layers, I would not use that for smelting. The bottom is designed for cooking temps, not the temps needed to melt lead. I would trust a pan with a solid stainless bottom before that one.

bumpo628
07-12-2011, 12:51 AM
It sounds like that pan is designed to prevent things from sticking to the bottom of the pot. That will not help you to melt lead. Find a cheap stainless or cast iron pot and use the nice one in the kitchen.

Wayne Smith
07-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Mine had an aluminium spreader plate attached to the bottom, but it wasn't laminated. The first time I heated it up and picked up the pot the spreader plate fell off. I have used it without one for the past seven or so years. Still works.

Pete E
07-12-2011, 02:53 PM
It sounds like that pan is designed to prevent things from sticking to the bottom of the pot. That will not help you to melt lead. Find a cheap stainless or cast iron pot and use the nice one in the kitchen.

No, the aluminium "core" is on the underside of the base of the pan..This core then has a SS cover over it...The inside of the pan is plane SS with no seams ect...

I am going to take folks advise and get a SS pan with a plain base, its just not worth the risk when playing with 50lb + of molten lead!

Thanks to for the replies and the the advice,

Regards,

Peter

MtGun44
07-12-2011, 10:22 PM
NO, it is a high quality pot with an aluminum or copper layer laminated to spread the heat.
Stainless steel is a TERRIBLE heat conductor so it burns food with hot spots, not giving even
heat. So, high quality pans have these heat spreaders laminated in. Typically it cost a lot.

Don't use it, if you don't know it they are VERY expensive and whoever gave it to you will
be irritated at you ruining it. Don't ever use a pot used for lead for food.

Use an inexpensive cast iron bail-handled pot, safer and cheaper. Side handle pots of any kind are
dangerous, easy to dump.

Bill

dromia
07-13-2011, 02:47 AM
Car boot sales mate.

Look around and you'll get a good cast iron casserole for a few quid, I've been using mine for over 20 years now.

cajun shooter
07-13-2011, 09:49 AM
Peter, It seems to me that your country should be over flowing with cast iron pots of various sizes. Find a good rusty one that has been left outside and go to work.

Crash_Corrigan
07-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Get thee a solid cast iron smelting pot. I bought mine at a discount mall kitchen store. It set me back about $18. That was 15 years ago. It is rusty but it works great.

A turkey fryer propane base is what is needed. Save your self some trouble and buy a cast iron ladle from roto metals (on the site advertiser) and a decent steel mold made from channel steel.

With such a setup smelting will be an easy chore and just remember to use your casting thermometer and keep your alloy at less than 650 degrees. If the alloy is held at that temperture for 5 minutes then all the dross should be scooped off with a slotted metal large kitchen spoon. You know the ones with the long handles etc.

Doing this will prevent zinc from contaminating your alloys.

Try some of the local Opportunity Village or other discount stores for your smelting needs. You will end up with a decent set up for low cost.

Then the only problem will be locating ww's or other types of lead to alloy into a good casting metal.

I am lucky to have an indoor range only two blocks away from me. I can get as much alloy as I want on the cheap if I purchase 500 lbs or more at a time.

Since I have multiple shooting buddies who also cast boolits I have an excellent way to dispose of my excess alloy.

Pete E
07-13-2011, 01:58 PM
NO, it is a high quality pot with an aluminum or copper layer laminated to spread the heat.
Stainless steel is a TERRIBLE heat conductor so it burns food with hot spots, not giving even
heat. So, high quality pans have these heat spreaders laminated in. Typically it cost a lot.

Don't use it, if you don't know it they are VERY expensive and whoever gave it to you will
be irritated at you ruining it. Don't ever use a pot used for lead for food.

Use an inexpensive cast iron bail-handled pot, safer and cheaper. Side handle pots of any kind are
dangerous, easy to dump.

Bill

Bill,

I actually bought the pan myself many years ago from what was then our version of Walmart.

Its not a fancy looking design, just the sort of thing you might see in a commercial kitchen, but as you say it is actually very good quality.

Its stamped "Made in Great Britain" & "Guaranteed for 25 years" but no makers name..It didn't cost much, and today a similar pan would proably be twice to three times expensive..

Sad thing is if i went into a similar shop today, the pans at a similar price point would be all "Made in China" and be made of materials that would make a beer can look robust!

Dromia,

Yes car boots will be next on the list...I have a small cast iron pot from a boot sale, but i wanted something a bit bigger I could do the initial smelt in..

Regards,

Peter

dromia
07-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Here's mine in action.

You don't need anything bigger Pete.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=210&pictureid=1310