PDA

View Full Version : A sticky question

lovedogs
01-09-2007, 07:07 PM
I've been moulding a couple years now and my bullets turn out real good but there's one thing that's always annoyed me so I'm finally going to ask all you experts and get your opinions.

I've got 4 Saeco moulds and they all are "sticky". That is, they don't drop bullets out as easily as I'd like. I ALWAYS have to give the hinge a rap, sometimes a pretty solid rap. I've tried mould release spray and was advised against that because it builds up and can cause out-of-round bullets, also. I've tried varying my temperature. Currently, I'm smoking the cavity with a wooden match. I've tried a heavy smoking. I've tried a light smoking. I've even tried smoking then wiping out with a Q-Tip. I've tried smoking, wiping, and resmoking.

I thought I knew what I was doing but now I wonder. It seems if things are right the bullets should drop out when I pop the moulds open. My bullets are real good quality, no complaints there. But this banging on the moulds every cast is ridiculous! This isn't SOP, is it? I'd appreciate any advice. I read the soap stone comments on here and may try that. People have been casting for ages and I'm sure there has to be something that would work better than what I'm doing so could someone clue me in? Thanks!

RayinNH
01-09-2007, 07:22 PM
lovedogs, try looking at the mould halves under high magnification. Usually when boolits don't release is because of machining burrs at the mould halves. When you spot them try to scrape or stone the burr off. Be very careful you don't alter the edges though, proceed slowly...Ray

sundog
01-09-2007, 08:55 PM
I have a mould or two on the cantankerous side, too. One, I actually cleaned and cold blued, the whole thing, cavities and all. That helped.

Most of the time, after I clean them I put the spray mould release on the qtip and apply it that way, working the qtip back and forth in the cavity. Fresh tip for each cavity. My usual rountine, and I cannot tell a difference in size when doin it like this. I do NOT use mould release on aluminium.

I've also had one or two that had to be colored with a #1 sharp pencil. Now THAT takes patience! sundog

Ken O
01-09-2007, 10:05 PM
I put a couple ingots on the bench. After I pour, cut sprue, open slightly and hold between the thumb and fore finger, and bump the mold on the ingot. Then you can open it all the way to dump in the water or blanket. Of course you have to let them cool just a little more before using this method.

357maximum
01-09-2007, 11:06 PM
On aluminum molds I have found that fanning a handheld propane torch back and forth across the open cavities to work right nicely. If you watch closely as you do it you will see a spark like ember flying off here and there...that was your burrs going BYE BYE...be careful and it only needs done one time...it acts like an artificial break in...IMHO...YMMV

Michael

45nut
01-09-2007, 11:21 PM
thats a damn fine idea there. gonna try it myself soon.

Uncle Grinch
01-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Lovedogs,

Try this trick that mainic just shared with us...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=12155

It sounds like it may help your issue.

JSH
01-10-2007, 12:20 AM
I had the same problem with a couple. I have found that the soot from aceytlene is about the best, pretty close to carbide soot I would guess?
The mold relase spray I used alos dropped the bullet smaller than I wanted. I just gave them a "dusting" with the release and it still seems that it is to thick.
Also my RCBS and Saeco moulds both have this problem, or more so than others. The 30 caliber moulds seem to be worse on this than others. The one thing I did notice, always thought it was the lube groove causing it as the are pretty good sized, depth and width, RG4 for example. But the 35 and 44's don't seem to be bad natured by this. Mabe the design on the 30, and the weight helps it drop on the larger caliber?
I have been using the soapstone trick for a year now, I never thought to mention it to others as I figured it was already a known "trick". I thought everyone always had a piece of the stuff in their pocket.
jeff

chunkum
01-10-2007, 12:56 AM
A dremel tool, a felt wheel, and Fliltz has not failed to cure any reluctance to drop the bullets so far.
Best Regards,
chunkum

454PB
01-10-2007, 01:48 AM
I have method I've used for many years that is kind of hard to describe. I knock the sprue cutter open, then just as I'm opening the blocks with one hand, I strike the hinge pin on the handles lightly with the other. It is a simultaneous motion, and makes even the stickiest mould spit them out without and damage.

lovedogs
01-10-2007, 12:18 PM
I've got a piece of soap stone so will give that a try next time I cast. I've also got a pound (that's a lot) of fine, black graphite that I've considered trying. I wonder if I dusted the cavity and blew out the excess if that might work. That'd be sorta like wiping the drop out in with a Q-Tip. All good ideas that I can try. If anyone else has ideas please feel free to comment. I've heard about dabbing liquid blue in there before. Just what does that do?