PDA

View Full Version : DIY "Splatter" Targets.

Kraschenbirn
07-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Between my aged eyes and summer mirage, it's become more and more difficult to for me to spot hits at 200 and 300 meters...even with the spotting scope cranked all the way to it's best magnification. "Spatter" (or "Shoot 'n See) targets help immensely but I'm cheap and hate to pay for anything I can do myself. Did a quick search of the board archives, read what I found, and came up with the following on my second attempt.

A) Cut a cardboard backer - single-ply, double-ply, whatever - to the desired size/shape.

B) Cover face of your cardboard backer with *cheap* white plastic garbage bag. Just stretch the plastic around the edges of the cardboard and secure on the back side...so far, I've been using hot glue but two-sided carpet tape might work equally well.

C) Apply a couple coats of the cheapest black spraypaint (flat or satin) you can find to the the plastic-covered face of and and let dry thoroughly.

D) Hang on backstop and bang away. Hits will be generously outlined in white - spatters around .30 cals run 1/2"-3/4" and .45-70s more like 1"-1 1/4"

Last Sunday took a couple of my 12" "splatter" targets to the range and hung them at 300M. 90+ degrees with mirage like looking through someone else's reading glasses but no problem calling hits from either the .45-70 RB or my .308 M700.

btw...I emphasize using "cheap" black spraypaint because it doesn't seem to adhere as well to the plastic and, therefore, "splatters" more readily.

Bill

higgins
07-11-2011, 04:05 PM
As I posted in the cheap targets thread,I reuse the splatter targets that others leave behind with just a few holes in them. If you check the trash can, you'll probably find the peel-off backer with the splatter pasters still attached. I have found where someone put up several such targets and the holes are off to one side on all targets. In that case, just peel off the good side of a couple of targets and cover the shot up side of the others. All of this assumes the targets are either on their original backer paper or have been peeled off and placed on paper targets. Most ranges rely on members to keep the place cleaned up and the trash cans emptied, so start doing so. You'll be surprised how much usable stuff people throw away.

no34570
07-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Between my aged eyes and summer mirage, it's become more and more difficult to for me to spot hits at 200 and 300 meters...even with the spotting scope cranked all the way to it's best magnification. "Spatter" (or "Shoot 'n See) targets help immensely but I'm cheap and hate to pay for anything I can do myself. Did a quick search of the board archives, read what I found, and came up with the following on my second attempt.

A) Cut a cardboard backer - single-ply, double-ply, whatever - to the desired size/shape.

B) Cover face of your cardboard backer with *cheap* white plastic garbage bag. Just stretch the plastic around the edges of the cardboard and secure on the back side...so far, I've been using hot glue but two-sided carpet tape might work equally well.

C) Apply a couple coats of the cheapest black spraypaint (flat or satin) you can find to the the plastic-covered face of and and let dry thoroughly.

D) Hang on backstop and bang away. Hits will be generously outlined in white - spatters around .30 cals run 1/2"-3/4" and .45-70s more like 1"-1 1/4"

Last Sunday took a couple of my 12" "splatter" targets to the range and hung them at 300M. 90+ degrees with mirage like looking through someone else's reading glasses but no problem calling hits from either the .45-70 RB or my .308 M700.

btw...I emphasize using "cheap" black spraypaint because it doesn't seem to adhere as well to the plastic and, therefore, "splatters" more readily.

Bill
Bill
Bloody cool idea mate,I go through targets like I do drinking beer on a Saturday night(lot's):smile:
Thanks for that,very well worth a "Good on ya Award" Good on ya ;-)

fatnhappy
07-11-2011, 08:28 PM
w o o d c h u c k s

they're all over around here

OeldeWolf
07-12-2011, 09:44 AM
I put up a description of my method a while back. Includes how to make them with dollar store saran wrap, so you can make them in colors.

firefly1957
07-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Just tape the target to 1/2 inch steel plate each time you hit the steel the paper will be blown off by splatter wasteful but you will be able to see you hit!

I suppose that is not what you wanted though.

JIMinPHX
07-13-2011, 01:11 AM
pictures???

Kraschenbirn
07-13-2011, 06:29 PM
pictures???

None that I can post (don't have software to load cellphone pics to computer), but I'm planning to stop by the range tomorrow and will try to take some with a different camera.

Bill

kombayotch
07-15-2011, 02:43 AM
Here you go:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/kombayotch/Firearms%20Stuff/Experimental/P1060063.jpg

Worked like a charm for spotting the .22LR hits at 300 yards...

Kraschenbirn
07-15-2011, 10:11 AM
pictures???

Here's a couple from yesterday afternoon. In the left hand pic, backer was wrapped with plastic grocery bag. Note the smaller "splatter"...probably because material is thinner with more "stretch". Right hand pic shows backer wrapped with "generic" trash bag; note more pronounced "splatter" effect.

Both targets were shot at 300M with my .45-70 RB.

Bill

ErikO
07-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Most ranges rely on members to keep the place cleaned up and the trash cans emptied, so start doing so. You'll be surprised how much usable stuff people throw away.

yep, I find decent things at my range all the time. Mainly ammo boxes/trays that I can reuse for reloading. :)

dugweb
03-11-2013, 08:47 PM
the orig redneck way is to buy neon paper at staples, and put 3m clear packing tape on it, the thick stuff (or laminate it) and then spray paint it flat black primer (the good stuff) - if you want to get trick make a circle pattern from cardboard and do a quick spray of white Kilz primer to make circles,, a quick redneck target,, a more blue collar target would be a cardboard 12"x12" spray it kilz white thick.. then a neon pink spray paint, then apply clear tape over it.. then paint it flat black high heat header paint - thick.. and welllaa! change the colors to your pick!

dugweb
03-11-2013, 08:49 PM
remember its not rocket science - its layer and paint science here.... think about it!

300winmag
03-11-2013, 08:53 PM
None that I can post (don't have software to load cellphone pics to computer), but I'm planning to stop by the range tomorrow and will try to take some with a different camera.

Bill

Send the pic's to your email, open on your computer, save as and you have it.

elginrunner
03-11-2013, 09:30 PM
For a challange you can hot glue some .68 cal paint balls to card stock paper. They go splat with gusto when hit. It always puts a big smile to my face. And it very satisfying to hit em at 200 yards with my .223!! (not every time mind you, but often)

geargnasher
03-12-2013, 12:35 AM
Kraschenbirn, that's the cheapest, most effective long-range splatter tutorial I've seen yet, thanks for sharing.

A box of stale saltine crackers, 10' off baling wire, and a fistfull of clothespins make for a fun afternoon at the .22 rimfire range. Birds and bugs handle the cleanup operations.

Gear

uscra112
03-12-2013, 12:36 AM
Gotta try that out for sighting-in! I usually start with my printer-generated targets (8.5"x11") at 20 yards, then trudge out and move the target easel to 50, then trudge out again and move it to 100.

DRNurse1
03-12-2013, 04:59 AM
+1 Gear. No mention of the tempra paint over crayon technique: I remember this art form from school (but cannot remember what I had for breakfast or where I left my glasses) and the bonus is my kids like to do it in their spare time.

dudits
03-12-2013, 05:25 AM
i use election signs. they are everywhere lol
hit em with some spray paint and have at it.

as for 22 plinking i love to use golf tee's. they are bright colors and can be had cheap.
they are fun to cut in half at 50yds

TheGrimReaper
03-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Here you go:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/kombayotch/Firearms%20Stuff/Experimental/P1060063.jpg

Worked like a charm for spotting the .22LR hits at 300 yards...

Now, that looks awsome. Like store bought.

dugweb
03-12-2013, 06:02 PM

dugweb
03-12-2013, 06:07 PM
i also used white kilz for circle - i think next time will be a card stock neon at staples, pink or green,, the reg paper wants to fold up a lil bit,, I BB gun tested it and it works,, i will go out and 40cal them in the next 2 days.. dunno if its worth it, but printing the targets at staples is a lot cheaper than buying them - 10 cents a pop + paper which is 10.00 for 500 sheets, so a lil work to save a lil money - dunno if its really worth it yet?

dugweb
03-13-2013, 06:33 PM

This is yellow paper with clear tape, then black primer spayed on it, at 15 yards via glock 23, i think yellow or clear plastic 8-1/2 x 11 sprayed with black would do the trick!