PDA

View Full Version : double melting pot???

Maximumbob54
07-11-2011, 03:02 PM
OK, different idea with a dual pot setup:

Let me start out with I love the little Lee ten pound pot but it is so small I run out of lead fast. Then you have to kick back and watch the grass grow while the lead melts. Sooooooo….

Would a second pot going next to it solve this? Once one goes low, add lead to it and start using the other one. By the time the second pot goes low then the first one should be all melted and to proper casting temp, right???

Dumb idea or would I be onto something here???

Old bit:

Am I just a slow learner here? Is this a normal thing that everyone else has figured out and I'm only now walking in on???

I started with a Lee 20# melter. Trying to get clean ingots was just not happening so I had to flux the heck out of filthy lead and pour fresh good ingots. Then I'm left with a nasty melting pot to clean. So I cheated and bought a second pot. I like the Lee 10# since I find it leaks less. This one has never seen dirty lead in it. I still flux but that is just to be complete. I'm just curious if this is a regular practice or if I really need to keep reading up on tips and tricks of casting.

Wayne Smith
07-11-2011, 03:28 PM
I don't use a bottom pour pot but those who do usually smelt and clean their alloy in something other than their bottom pour pot. That process is usually done in larger quantity and over a gas burner.

Maximumbob54
07-11-2011, 07:00 PM
The joke is on me. The pour spout is clogged with something. Anyone know what drill bit I will need to employ on this? Or is there a smarter option?

Dale53
07-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Maximumbob54;
Give Lee a call and ask them. They'll be happy to help you.

I have only had to do that a time or two over fifty plus years (I do my smelting in a turkey fryer set up and do large quantities). No dirty lead goes into my RCBS pots. Point is, I don't happen to have a Lee bottom pour and can't help you with the drill size. However, drilling carefully is what I would do. Start small - you can always use bigger...

Dale53

bumpo628
07-12-2011, 12:49 AM
People usually smelt in a cast iron or steel pot over a propane turkey fryer base.
You can get the base for $30 to $40 new at bass pro or the base plus a cast iron dutch oven for $70 to $80. Of course, check yard sales and thrift stores for cast iron or steel pots and the fryer for a better deal.

Maximumbob54
07-12-2011, 06:58 AM
I have a propane turkey deep fryer. I will scour the local flea market this weekend for a cast iron pot of a decent size. Does everyone just use a ladel to pour into the ingot mold?

bumpo628
07-12-2011, 06:00 PM
I have a propane turkey deep fryer. I will scour the local flea market this weekend for a cast iron pot of a decent size. Does everyone just use a ladel to pour into the ingot mold?

You can just get a stainless soup ladle from the thrift store for under a buck - works fine. I punched a hole near the top and it pours through there without the skin getting in the way. I also bent the handle a bit to make it more comfortable.

wills
07-12-2011, 06:21 PM
DO NOT USE THE ALUMINUM POT THAT CAME WITH THE TURKEY FRYER.
http://advancecarmover.thomasnet.com/Asset/Ladles---1-2-3-4.jpg

mold maker
07-12-2011, 08:47 PM
I've used everything from a paper clip to a bent ice pick. They all work after a fashion. Eventually you will have to empty the pot, and wire brush the crud out of it A large cal bronze brush will clean up the top side of the pour spout and a wire brush on the valve rod. Use a drill bit to clean the spout from below.
The dust you stir up is toxic so a respirator in needed.
When everything is cleaned and reassembled, remember how much work that crud cost you, and keep it out of your pouring pot.

Maximumbob54
07-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Needle nose and a wire nail worked like a champ. The build up is terrible so it will need to be drained and scrubbed as described. It has a terrible case of the drip...

Maximumbob54
07-20-2011, 10:06 AM
I just changed my reasons for the double melting pot idea. Or just came up with a new idea.

truckmsl
07-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Max - I use two pots - a 20 lb bottom pour which I cast from, and a 10 lb'er which I remelt sprues in. I start out with both full, and refill the main pot from the second one with a ladle to keep things rolling. Sprues go back into the second pot and the process continues. Damn near doubled my output. The 10 lb pot is a Lyman and was very inexpensive.

mdi
07-20-2011, 12:02 PM
I've read of a lot of folks that use two casting pots; one pot is cast from while the other melts lead (not smelting, that's done in an other pot). I saw pics of one set-up that used two bottom pour pots, one above the other. Primary casting is done with the bottom pot. When the bottom pot starts getting low, it is filled from the top pot through the bottom pour. Then more ingots are put into the top pot to melt and casting continues from the bottom pot with no waitng.

Maximumbob54
07-20-2011, 02:25 PM
I've read of a lot of folks that use two casting pots; one pot is cast from while the other melts lead (not smelting, that's done in an other pot). I saw pics of one set-up that used two bottom pour pots, one above the other. Primary casting is done with the bottom pot. When the bottom pot starts getting low, it is filled from the top pot through the bottom pour. Then more ingots are put into the top pot to melt and casting continues from the bottom pot with no waitng.

Now that is a neat idea. It would take some effort to rig it up but that could keep hot lead pouring and have less of a foot print.