PDA

View Full Version : Alox-606-55-HF & Bees Wax

warf73
01-09-2007, 06:53 AM
Currently I use 50% bees wax with 50% Olive oil & 20% paraffin wax by volume.
This lube works great with my cowboy loads in the 44 (750-825fps) and is holding up great in my 40 S&W (1000fps).
This lube also works like a charm in my Star lubber.

Would Alox-606-55-HF & Bees Wax make a good boolet lube?
Or a mix of Alox-606-55-HF, Bees Wax and carnauba in lets say around 40% 40% 20% proportions? This lube would take the place of my current lube mix, anyone have any experience using either one of these lube mixes?

My thinking is that Olive oil is getting expensive to buy and since I’m in the group buy for a gallon of the Alox I could maybe replace the Olive oil mix what do you all think?

Thanks Warf

wiljen
01-09-2007, 07:12 AM
My suspicion is it would work maybe with a little trial and error. I have been making a mix of Johnson's paste wax and 606-55-HF using 1 can of JPW and 4oz of 606. It melts quickly - dip lubing is easy on my 45 tumble lube bullets and it adheres better than JPW alone. (Although with the current group buy, I'll probably resort to straight alox - that was more a cost saver than anything). If I were going to do what you propose, I would melt the Alox first in a double boiler and let it cook off all or most of the mineral spirits, then add your waxes so you create a lube that will not harden or dry out over time. Alox 350 has typically been used in that role since it is non-drying but as I said I suspect it would work. Once I have a larger quantity in I might even try that myself for my Lyman Sizer.