PDA

View Full Version : Powder migration in filler

44man
07-10-2011, 10:29 AM
I don't think it is a problem, really. But I have to carry my 45-70 loads nose down in the MTM boxes. I use Dacron in my revolver loads. The box gets jostled during travel.
I am trying something different, getting ready to shoot them. I first settled the powder good and using the brass tool I made, I pushed a newspaper disk snug on the powder before adding the filler.
It can't be called a wad, being just newspaper but might help against powder movement.
I will let you know.

geargnasher
07-10-2011, 11:47 AM
What kind of powder are you using? I've done some experiments with different powders and migration through Dacron filler and found that if there is any significant "compression" of the Dacron, the powder granules are pretty much confined to the powder side of things.

Dacron has a natural "loft", a certain amount of it wants to occupy a certain space, and if you compress it 150% it holds powder quite nicely. I checked this on a couple of occasions using Starmetal Joe's trick of cutting a window in a fired case and taping a piece of clear plastic packaging material over it, then loading the powder, filler, and boolit into it and carrying it in my pocket for a couple of weeks. I'm a heavy truck and RV mechanic, so you can imagine how much movement that cartridge goes through. Even Win748 didn't migrate significantly in a .30-30 case at 150% Dacron compression. 3031 needed the empty space filled to only about 110% to stay put.

Gear

44man
07-11-2011, 08:53 AM
It was just a thought to try. I do use enough Dacron.
They shot the same so it just a step not needed.
I am using 4759 and don't really need a filler but testing has given the ones with Dacron just a small edge in accuracy. How much is due to lot to lot of my loads is still debatable.
Even this hot, humid weather changes things so trying to maintain good groups in all weather is harder when making comparisons.
I have more trouble sighting in the red dots when I change boolits. Add elevation and the POI moves right. Change windage and the elevation also moves. The internal tube is small in diameter against the adjustment pins so it is trial and error. Internal pins should have larger flats on them so the tube moves in a straight plane.
Testing loads means "leave the sights alone" but I am guilty of trying to do both at the same time! :mrgreen: