PDA

View Full Version : Wrong Box ?

mrbill2
07-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Last week I received a mold that I ordered from one of the well known mail order companies that we all use from time to time. My package came in a USPS Priority Mail box heavily taped to conseal the printing, shipped UPS at a cost of $12.34.
The postmaster at the local post office told me thay could have leagally used the box and sent it for $5.70 and would have saved money on all that tape.

07-09-2011, 09:19 PM
If the company's name is M----y, I, too, don't understand why they insist on shipping UPS, when a flat rate box is a much lower cost option.

tomme boy
07-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Because they are making money on the shipping. Whatever the shipping cost they charge you, they are only getting charged 1/3 of that. The rest is profit. That is why they do not ship it in a USPS box. I worked for a very large company and we had a big account with UPS. I have seen what we were charged for shipping. Sometimes I shipped stuff with them, and sometimes I shipped it at the UPS hub. Same box, same weight, Cost 3X's as much.

randyrat
07-09-2011, 11:36 PM
That's right, if you ship a bunch, there is room to negotiate with UPS directly. They will give you a heck of a deal.
All of us other fools pay through the nose with UPS.
At the same time, they make us smucks pay the going rate for our goodies. The difference is used for payroll for the shipping people and maybe some profit. Welcome to the smuckles, kinda like sheeples, part of the herd.
I don't use UPS

mrbill2
07-10-2011, 09:16 AM
The postmaster kept the box with shipping lable and other imfo. I hope they put a stop to their illegal use of free USPS boxes.

Irascible
07-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Was your $12.34 for shipping AND Handling?
You can have them ship priority mail by checking the correct box.
There is a new way of shipping where the company UPS's a bunch of packages to a local postal distributing service from where it is mailed? Strange?

mrbill2
07-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Was your $12.34 for shipping AND Handling? Invoice reads Shipping. I always thought the handling was part of the job. You know the part you were suppose to do in order to get a paycheck. Where I worked most of my life that's what's what they paid us to do. Handle the product. Package it so it could be shipped. Now they want to charge you extra to handle what they sell, plus steal the packaging from the postal system.

There is a new way of shipping where the company UPS's a bunch of packages to a local postal distributing service from where it is mailed? Strange?
That sounds like a plan to me, strange for sure.

bhn22
07-10-2011, 09:52 PM
What did you order? Some items cannot be shipped by mail, most notably anything liquid. It's entirely possible that they had a new guy package the shipment for mail, then find out it had to go UPS. We ship a lot at work, and our UPS minimum charge usually comes out around $13.00.

mrbill2
07-11-2011, 09:40 AM
What did you order?

Read post #1

bhn22
07-11-2011, 10:14 AM
What did you order?

Read post #1

Yup. It's there alright. It's these darn glasses you see....

bumpo628
07-11-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm sure it was a one-time thing caused by a new guy in the mail room as described above. I doubt any large company would make misusing federal property part of their business plan.

Why not just name the company?

Phat Man Mike
07-11-2011, 02:16 PM
If the company's name is M----y, I, too, don't understand why they insist on shipping UPS, when a flat rate box is a much lower cost option.
at that place you chose your shipping! or at least I get too! :popcorn:

mrbill2
07-12-2011, 08:11 PM
I'm sure it was a one-time thing caused by a new guy in the mail room as described above. I doubt any large company would make misusing federal property part of their business plan.

Why not just name the company?

Why, because I chose not to. I dought it would make any difference, looks like the new guy in the mail room is going to get the shaft.