PDA

View Full Version : Shipping flat rate boxes

smkummer
07-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Folks, just want to pass on an incident that happen a few months ago. I sold some brass in the $5.20 flat rate box and one of the 3 recieved about 1/2 of the brass that I sent along with 2 rifle bolts. The other 2 buyers recieved without problems. I used the supplied adhesive but in the future I will either add glue or outside tape. It has come to my attention that at my post office they will take these boxes with outside tape applied.

Three-Fifty-Seven
07-09-2011, 05:14 PM
I always add tape . . . if they have a problem . . . to bad! They have proven to me, that there handling practices require extra tape, also a good idea when shipping small items in box, is to use one of there Priority mail Tyvex bags inside of the box, then everything is together!

D Crockett
07-09-2011, 05:18 PM
I send off a few boxes every month I get the big roles of fiber tape I go all the way around th narrow part of the box and around the ends of the box it is good ins. for your box to get there D Crockett

mooman76
07-09-2011, 05:45 PM
When they first started doing this, my P.O. said no tape but I think that was meant for the flimsy flat rate envelope. One time the P.O. said something about the tape and I told here to get real. They advertize up to 70 #. Do you really think this box will hold 70# without coming apart without tape? Hasn't said anything since. I always tape and I think they changed their stance on it but some still want to stick to the old idea of no tape.

deltaenterprizes
07-09-2011, 05:48 PM
If you add insurance the instructions tell you to tape all the edges.

07-09-2011, 06:14 PM
I always use tape.

Geraldo
07-09-2011, 06:20 PM
I've never had a postal employee say anything about clear tape, but have heard them tell others "no duct tape, etc".

I know I'm obsessive about packing, but everything gets taped. I even put a strip of Scotch tape on regular mailing envelopes if it's anything other than a letter inside it.

Echo
07-09-2011, 07:23 PM
I always tape, using clear vinyl tape, making the packages danged near indestructible. Especially the FR envelopes.

Jim
07-09-2011, 07:48 PM
I always tape, using clear vinyl tape, making the packages danged near indestructible. Especially the FR envelopes.

Ditto.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-09-2011, 07:54 PM
I Tape, I Tape, I Tape
than I Tape some more :)

wgr
07-09-2011, 08:49 PM
my post master tapes it for me she knows it wont hold

Carolina Cast Bullets
07-09-2011, 08:53 PM
When I send something FRB, the Post Office loses big time. I tape the living hell out of every box. clear tape and sometimes fiberglass reenforced tape as well. 1000 boolits are not light, speciall the 45-70's.

They just love me there LOL

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

leftiye
07-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Nor are 8 ea 4" iron wheels. Whole bottom of box came out. Lucky it was coming my way, Post Office put the whole mess in one of their plastic delivery boxes, and delivered it. I've told a lot of them lead sellers about this, but they don't always listen.

higgins
07-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Use the PO's priority tape. Makes everything official and they'll let you use all you want for no additional charge. Heck, if you ship a lot of boxes and use a small PO where everyone knows you they may give you a roll to take home, but they're probably not supposed to do that. I shipped a 20 lb. medium flat rate box the other day that was about 50% covered in the PO tape. As long as the clerk rings it up correctly and the official address label is on top of all the tape you're good.

casterofboolits
07-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Tape, tape and more tape!!!!!

GOPHER SLAYER
07-10-2011, 04:05 PM
I learned the hard way. I shipped a large flat rate box filled with once fired brass to one of the members on this site. He said they delivered the brass in a basket , missing a third of what I shipped. He was gracious enough to pay for the full amount I shipped but I didn't let it happen again. Before I put brass in the box after that experiance I doubled all sides of the box. I asked the postmaster if I could use duct tape and he told me it was ok as long as I didn't cover the top because they couldn't read where it read flat rate. The only tape allowed on top had to be clear. I bought several rolls of clear tape at Big Lots and taped the box several times. I only use duct tape around the sides. I never lost another shipment.

Lee
07-10-2011, 05:57 PM
What attitudes! Don't you realize you work for the P.O., not them working for you???:kidding:

beagle
07-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Several of the local *** won't take tape so I mail it our local one person PO. They don't give me any hassles.

Reasoning.....they can't apply their stickers./beagle

3006guns
07-10-2011, 07:10 PM
The USPS lost my antique lathe tail stock ram, a simple metal cylinder, when it punched through the box corner after being dropped somewhere along the way. This was despite packing, tape, etc. and they never did find it. I explained to our Postmaster that this wasn't a lost Ipad or something.....it COULDN'T be replaced. She was sympathetic but that's all.

Now I tape like a mad fool, get insurance and delivery confirmation for everything.

Lead guy
07-10-2011, 10:39 PM
I have never added extra tape before, but looks like I need to. Thanks for the heads up!

evan price
07-11-2011, 01:44 AM
The post office is cracking down on the use of flat rate envelopes where a box should be used.

Envelopes by postal regs should be no more than 1/4" thick at the widest point. The flat rate envelopes also say "No additional tape or adhesives to be used" on the envelope. The problem is some people will make a FR Env. look like a pillow and that is not how an envelope is supposed to be used. They have a template the envelope has to pass through. Some people have literally taped a FRE onto a box and called it an envelope.

The FR Box you can use as much tape as you want. The only ones that come with adhesive are the small FRBs (Which use only tabs on the sides) and the Medium FRB that is sort of flat and oblong. Even those you are encouraged to use extra tape. The regular Medium and Large FRBs you have to use tape anyway since they are flat packed.

I personally ship hundreds of packages of lead, brass, car parts, etc. all over and without flat rate shipping would be impossible in some cases. The Flat Rate domestic service is as long as the package gross is under 70# it ships. I've had 65# FRBs before and with enough tape- EVERY seam, EVERY edge, EVERY side- it goes just fine.