PDA

View Full Version : Primer/Shell Casing/Shell Holder Stuck Together...Help!

UtopiaTexasG19
07-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Somehow I got a primer stuck crooked in a shell casing where I cannot back the casing out of the shell holder and the primer will not go into the casing any further so all three units are stuck together as one unit. For safety sake can I fill the bullet casing with water and expect it to nuetralize the primer so I can wedge the case from the case holder? Thanks...

geargnasher
07-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Not water, use any kind of petroleum oil or solvent like mineral spirits, diesel oil, gun oil, something like that. I forget how long it takes to kill the primer, remember reading about in in Speer #11 many years ago, someone will know.

That being said, I would simply decap it with your sizing/decapping die. Wear safety glasses (you do anyway, right??), hearing protection, and if it makes you feel better put a shield like a cutting board between you and the press, just press the primer out. If it pops, it won't hurt anything if you're prepared.

Gear

DukeInFlorida
07-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Pop it out. slowly.... and you should be fine....
Toss that piece of brass. Not worth trying to figure out what happened, and fix it. Just toss it when you make it safe to discard.

blackthorn
07-10-2011, 01:20 AM
Modern primers are not as suseptable to oils, solvents,etc. (as those of bygone days)! Do not ever think you can absolutly kill a primer. The best advice you have been given is to push it out slowly/gently and use some kind of shield between you and it!!!

Echo
07-10-2011, 01:22 AM
Right. Push it out, don't pound it out. Don't ask me how I know.

07-10-2011, 02:44 AM
Have "deprimed" several side ways primers and they come out easily. That is one reason I like my "T Max". If you make a mistake the die is right there and ready with a mere twist. Have an old piece of Plexiglass that makes a good shield. Never "popped" one but there is always the first.

44man
07-10-2011, 07:37 AM
A sideways primer does not harm the brass, just push it out and put a new one in. All that happened was the primer flipped on the punch.
In 56 years I might have pushed out 1000 or more live primers. A few crooked but many on pulled rounds. I never had one go off.
None of my friends ever had one go off except one. He lost one on his bench and when soldering in his vise, the flame found the primer. :mrgreen:

Wayne Smith
07-10-2011, 08:59 AM
I too have had several (!) stuck like that. A couple have required some ingenuity to resolve but I've always got them out and not popped one yet. I have, however, popped several in the old Lee Loader, lost my terror of them doing that. Caution and care, yes, not fear of one popping.

XWrench3
07-10-2011, 09:42 AM
i used to get them caught in my lee auto prime like that quite often. especially small pistol primers. i soon figured out both the trick for preventing the problem in the first place, and the cure. the cure is like others have said, SLOWLY push it out in your press with eye protection and hearing protection, BUT NOT IN A CASE SIZER DIE! the fit is much to tight, and if it goes of in that, there will be some pressure build up (although i do not know how much). i would think there would be enough for it to be dangerous, maybe even rupture a case or break the press if you were not holding on very tight. the prevention in a lee auto prime is to squeeze the handle enough to get the primer flush with the case holder floor. for whatever reason, they tip inside the plastic part of the primer holder, or catch on the case holder as it comes up. raising the primer first keeps things from getting ugly in the first place.

williamwaco
07-10-2011, 09:28 PM
================================================== ==

have "deprimed" several side ways primers and they come out easily. That is one reason i like my "t max". If you make a mistake the die is right there and ready with a mere twist. Have an old piece of plexiglass that makes a good shield. Never "popped" one but there is always the first.

================================================== ==

ditto