PDA

View Full Version : how does this happen?

Link23
07-09-2011, 02:38 PM
well i went shooting my Llama the other day with Lee 225 LRN with 4.8 Grn titegroup

and all of the sudden i couldnt hit the broad side of a barn..or a piece of paper it 15 feet....any ideas?

i think i have a ring in my barrel

Wayne Smith
07-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Caliber? Previous experience shooting it? When did you stick a boolit in the barrel and fire another?

Link23
07-09-2011, 03:01 PM
its a .45 commander style 1911 its my concealed, as far as i know ive never double shot it. hmmm now im looking for a new barrel it was shooting really good groups

I've shot about 3000 RDS though it in the past 6 months

adrians
07-09-2011, 03:23 PM
:groner:

Link23
07-09-2011, 03:33 PM
this is what it was shooting this winter, these are the same load, at 15 yards

geargnasher
07-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Looks very much like a "squib" load was fired (one with no or low charge of powder) sticking a boolit in the barrel, then the following shot overpressured the barrel, causing a bulge between the chamber and the restriction before forcing the restriction out of the barrel. Usually this results in a catastrophic explosion of the barrel, but not always.

In any event, the barrel is junk. Get a good aftermarket replacement 1911 barrel and bushing and have it fitted to the slide by a good gunsmith.

Gear

Fire_stick
07-09-2011, 04:16 PM
If what geargnasher says, then I think you have an angel looking over you.

whisler
07-09-2011, 07:42 PM
My good buddy did the same to his .45. He was shooting nickle plated cases and "believes" that the cases allowed a bullet to set-back and thus over pressured the load. Don't know if he is right but he won't used nickle-plated cases anymore. His load was a known good load that he had shot lots of previously.

MtGun44
07-09-2011, 07:52 PM
THE way you ring a barrel is to have a no powder round push the boolit far enough into
the rifling that a new round will chamber, and then fire the second round into the first,
stationary, boolit. The local pressure at impact is EXTREMELY high and bulges the barrel,
but the pair of boolits go down range. Never saw one that cycled the action, but not
saying it is impossible, just seems pretty unlikely. Typically the operator thinks he has
had a dead round, racks the slide and goes on. I have stopped several folks just
before the pulled the trigger when this happened during an IPSC match and I was
the RO.

The one that I have handled and shot (Colt Mk IV) worked perfectly and shot like new
with a really nasty looking ring about 1/3 of the way down the bbl.

whisler -
Tell your friend with the nickeled cases that De Nile isn't just a river in Egypt. This is
caused by the nut on the end of the loading press handle and the operator of the
weapon working in concert. Frequently the same guy, but not always.

Bill