PDA

View Full Version : suns-a-guns

Lee
07-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Yep, it's official. Suns-a-guns, complete with purple eyed daughter, tattoo, and pappy are renewed for another season. NRA american rifleman bent way over backwards to give 'em the most glowing accolade possible. As did a couple other gun-rags. The clip shows lord gunboy spouting off about his $28,000 score on something or other, then segues into how he is gonna make AR15's that will make Eugene Stoner blush.
I'm done. I don't need to see and listen to this TV jerk mouthpiece run on how great he is. Don't care where he's from, just more proof of what 200 years of inbreeding from sheltered mountainous southern states can produce. One more reason to cut TV, cut cable, cut satellite, cut all their throats............:evil:

MT Gianni
07-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Sorry Lee I haven't seen it. It doesn't seem like I missed much.

Lee
07-06-2011, 11:16 PM
No, you haven't missed much at all. I guess it's just me, but I find the "show" to be a pandering, smarmy attempt at attention grabbing, and I fail to see how the mentality of "any gun show just has to put us in a favorable light" can possibly be credible when presented as these so called "professionals" are doing.
The whole theme of the show follows along the lines of "Hey! Looka what I did!" at least as I see it. But then, that's just me. The snot-nose daughter does not add to the show. "Tattoo" does not add to the show.
I sincerely look at this production as an underhanded attempt by the BATFE to use as an example of "Well, you wanted us to license them, see what you get", you know, not much different than the obscene attempt by the BATFE for the recent program involving guns and Mexico, and the border. You know, the mentality that the means justifies the ends.....
But, hey, that's just me.......:wink:

07-06-2011, 11:18 PM
I read the article, but have never seen the show, nor ever plan to. In fact, till I read the article, I was blissfully ignorant of the show.

Tom-ADC
07-06-2011, 11:30 PM
So Lee this is different from the program on Discovery Channel Son's of Guns? I don't think I've heard of Suns of guns??

Dean D.
07-06-2011, 11:58 PM
What is this "TV" you speak of?

bob208
07-07-2011, 06:10 AM
we cut off the tv 3 years ago. we have not missed much. do get to read and shoot more.

enfield
07-07-2011, 06:25 AM
could only stand to watch a couple minutes myself, it's like all the other "reality" shows

rnelson11
07-07-2011, 06:40 AM
I happened upon it once and could only watch about 5 minutes before I had to turn the chanel.

altheating
07-07-2011, 06:53 AM
It's what the American people want to see. And ratings sell advertising. No different than the show Swamp People, Deadliest Catch and a few others out there. Take those talent type shows, who would waste their time on those shows? But half of America is addicted to them! I find the plots to most of these shows boring, but still find it amazing that people make a living hunting crocagaters or the ability for these guys to take an idea and make the modified gun function.

44man
07-07-2011, 08:07 AM
TV is GREAT! :drinks: I get a lot of sleep on the couch every evening. :mrgreen:

HollowPoint
07-07-2011, 09:11 AM
suns of guns:

I think I've watched this program a grand total of one and a half times.

These "suns of guns" appear to take great pride in reinventing the wheel. And they seemed to argue with one another all the time they were doing it.

It make me believe that the show is geared more to the non-gun-savvy viewer. Those who do know a little about guns tend to watch just to see how stupid other people can be.

HollowPoint

Jim
07-07-2011, 09:30 AM
I watched the show one time and didn't watch it again to see if it was as much baloney the second time as the first.
I am firmly convinced that the producers and directors of these "reality" shows encourage the participants to be as dramatic as possible. I just do not believe that people really act that way. On the other hand, maybe they really do.

mtnman31
07-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Yes, the show is geared towards the senseless TV masses. Most people who visit this site are far from casual gun owners/shooters, they are dedicated hobbyists and lifelong shooters. The show is not made to appeal to people like us. Really, do you think that tossing a few rails onto an AK or AR then spray painting it is quality gun work? The junk they turn out for the show is purely for ratings and appeal. Their best stuff would not garner ratings, it would appeal to a much smaller demographic (folks like us). I imagine a ballet dancer is on the verge of vomiting when they watch an episode of Dancing with the Stars or So You Think You Can Dance ( I know I want to vomit when my wife watches it). It isn't much different with many of us, the show is not an accurate portrayal of what the real world of shooting and gun ownership is.

I have watched a few episodes over at a friends house (no cable in my home) and found it mildly ENTERTAINING. Some of it was utterly stupid, namely the rocket launcher for defending ships from pirates. Some if it was good to go like when they restored the flamethrower for the Iwo Jima veteran. All in all, I find the show dumb and not something I go out of my way to watch. The show is far from informative - it is pure entertainment and not meant to be accurate or in anyone's best interest, except for the network's investors. The great thing about TV is how easy it is to turn it off. It is still a free country and if a guy doesn't like what is on TV he has the choice to change the channel or find something better to do. Personally, instead of TV, I prefer to spend my time in the garage turning a few wrenches or sitting at the reloading bench. Normally I don't watch much TV unless my wife is nagging me to spend some "quality time" with her... watching TV.

Roundnoser
07-07-2011, 10:19 AM
I've watched the show a number of times just for the entertainment value. -- It is deveoped for the masses who know nothing (or very little) about firearms. But it is a double edge sword. The masses think, because of shows like Sons of Guns, that we gun owners are dangerous, rednecks, hicks, etc.

If you look at all these type of shows (deadliest catch, swamp people, American Chopper...), it is not so much the subject of the show that is appealing to the masses, It is mainly the interpersonal dynamics. Imagine shows like Sons of Guns or American Chopper if everyone was nice, respectful, mild mannered, courteous, helpful, well-spoken, etc. NO ONE WOULD WATCH IT! -- The masses want conflict, anger, destruction, violence, turmoil, etc. TV producers are merely feeding the beast. -- AWEFUL!

Baja_Traveler
07-07-2011, 10:39 AM
The masses want conflict, anger, destruction, violence, turmoil, etc. TV producers are merely feeding the beast. -- AWEFUL!

Says the guy with a Harry Callahan Avatar ;-)

Yes, the show is complete ****. I watched about 10 minutes of it, and when after test firing a tommy gun he declared that anyone who fired it would die, and kill everyone around them, I laughed and changed the channel.

cajun shooter
07-07-2011, 11:21 AM
First, I would like to address the posting by altheating. If you would research the fishing industry you will find that the Bearing Sea from which all the crab and other sea food is taken is the most dangerous in the world. These men are doing the same as their forefathers by making a living from the sea. This next posting is for Lee who needs a history lesson .I live in Louisiana and I am from French and German decent. The Cajun people were exiled from the home country of Nova Scotia because of the religion they believed in. They came down the eastern coast of the USA and into the Gulf of Mexico. They found the swamps of Louisiana bearing plenty of game and it was only populated by local Indians. The Cajun people are very proud of the heritage as they never asked the government for anything. They are hard working, honest people. It was completely uncalled for when you stated that the Southern people were kept here by mountains and therefore it caused all the inbreeding. The highest spot in Louisiana might be 200 feet at best. I see that you don't show a location but I would be more than happy to bring you to Pierre Part,La. to meet some of those inbreds. We are no different than any other group of people and that is we make a living off the land and those animals that live here. A good 11 foot gator will bring over $1000 and that ain't bad. AS far as Sons of Guns goes that is a beast of a different color. I have watched it a few times and I realize that it smells of Hollywood. I am a former armorer for the Police Dept and if they filmed me working on guns it would put you asleep. To include the people of this state in your dislike for a TV program is very low. If you had a animal in your area that could be caught in the wild and support the family for a year then they would be hunted also. The meat is sold in fish markets and it is served in the best restaurants.

Springfield
07-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Conflict on TV had been in style since the 70's with "All in the Family", with Archie Bunker. My mother refused to watch that show, said why should I watch a bunch of people arguing with each other. She preferred "The Waltons". I watched Son of Guns a couple of times but realized the store owner was an idiot when they thought they were geniuses when they made that "zip gun" to kill alligators. I kept waiting for someone to shot their foot off with that piece of junk.

76 WARLOCK
07-07-2011, 11:25 AM
They are now filming a new show for Rich Wyat at Gunsmoke in Whearridge CO.
Knowing Rich it might be good, no idea when it will show.

casterofboolits
07-07-2011, 11:45 AM
First, I would like to address the posting by altheating. If you would research the fishing industry you will find that the Bearing Sea from which all the crab and other sea food is taken is the most dangerous in the world. These men are doing the same as their forefathers by making a living from the sea. This next posting is for Lee who needs a history lesson .I live in Louisiana and I am from French and German decent. The Cajun people were exiled from the home country of Nova Scotia because of the religion they believed in. They came down the eastern coast of the USA and into the Gulf of Mexico. They found the swamps of Louisiana bearing plenty of game and it was only populated by local Indians. The Cajun people are very proud of the heritage as they never asked the government for anything. They are hard working, honest people. It was completely uncalled for when you stated that the Southern people were kept here by mountains and therefore it caused all the inbreeding. The highest spot in Louisiana might be 200 feet at best. I see that you don't show a location but I would be more than happy to bring you to Pierre Part,La. to meet some of those inbreds. We are no different than any other group of people and that is we make a living off the land and those animals that live here. A good 11 foot gator will bring over $1000 and that ain't bad. AS far as Sons of Guns goes that is a beast of a different color. I have watched it a few times and I realize that it smells of Hollywood. I am a former armorer for the Police Dept and if they filmed me working on guns it would put you asleep. To include the people of this state in your dislike for a TV program is very low. If you had a animal in your area that could be caught in the wild and support the family for a year then they would be hunted also. The meat is sold in fish markets and it is served in the best restaurants.

CS

Having him visit the swamps is a show that I would pay to watch.:redneck:[smilie=w:

cbrick
07-07-2011, 11:53 AM
I've seen the show a couple of times. Not a chance in h**l I would allow that idiot anywhere near any of my guns. Their idea of craftsmanship is an angle grinder, a hand held drill motor and a can of spray paint? I did agree completely with him when he said "don't try this yourself" We are pro's. I have serious doubts about the "pro's" part but I'm pretty sure I'll never use an angle grinder on one of my guns.

The show is pure crappolla and puts firearm ownership in a bad light. Makes it appear to the unknowing that anyone can walk in and walk out with a full auto whiz bang destroy anything/everything black gun produced by experts with a die grinder.

Rick

Tom-ADC
07-07-2011, 01:36 PM
I'll say one thing for them, when they do sell a full auto or ATF gun they make sure the paperwork is all in order.
Think a lot of the redneck stuff is for the tv viewers.

Rick N Bama
07-08-2011, 10:08 AM
My ignore list is growing! Lee, your comment was way out of line!

Rick

JFrench
07-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks Lee being from the south your comments are offensive.
James

waksupi
07-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Something I have observed over the years about country "hicks". They are much more able to solve problems than city dwellers. Lots of good engineers out in the sticks working with native intelligence, instead of book learning that is often wrong.

Char-Gar
07-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Lee.. That comment about the South was not only untrue, but slanderous in the extreme.

cbrick
07-08-2011, 12:15 PM
As to the original post, it’s much the same as the people that hear something horrible about California and then assign that to all of California, every Californian and everything about California. Truth or common sense be damned, just keep repeating it as though you are really smart and so wise.

Such statements reflect only on the poster, not those of which he speaks.

Rick

exile
07-08-2011, 01:08 PM
I believe that the anti-gun television folks who produce this drivel have accomplished their purpose, they have us fighting with each other! Come on, its just "Jersey Shore" with some gunpowder mixed in (not that I have watched that show). Total garbage.

exile

jsizemore
07-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Cajun, Don't get upset. If those northerners found out how great it is in the South they'd be headin' this way. Somebody asked my buddy from Pa. why he moved to the South and he gave two answers. 1. He wanted to marry outside his family and 2 It was better to be just hungry then cold and hungry.

And What's wrong with being a redneck?