PDA

View Full Version : How long does a tank of gas last?

imashooter2
01-07-2007, 10:47 PM
Well, I had a match at that range with the free scrap again today and came away with 3.5 buckets. That gives me 4.5 buckets of scrap and a bucket of WW in stock. There is another match scheduled in early February and I expect that I'll score another 3 - 5 buckets of scrap. Then it's time to schedule the first turkey fryer smelt...

So how long can I expect a turkey fryer to run on a 20 pound tank of gas?

About how many buckets do you guys generally get from a tank?

Jack Stanley
01-07-2007, 11:05 PM
My setup mostlikely isn't a good comparison to turkey fryers and I haven't run a twenty pound cylinder since I found a hundred pounder to use . If I remember right I got well over a thousand pounds of finished ingot from a twenty pounder . I hope that's some help to ya ... not near as much help as having a spare tank handy [smilie=1:

Jack

44woody
01-07-2007, 11:06 PM
I can run my turkey fryer for 2 long days on a 20 pound bottle of gas or melt down about 1200 pounds of lead or there abouts :castmine: 44Woody

imashooter2
01-07-2007, 11:14 PM
Well from the sounds of it, I'll have no problem with my little stash. Thanks guys!

Hunter
01-08-2007, 01:22 AM
Well I am still on my first 20 pound tank using a gas burner. I have about 500 pounds of ingots casted and the tank still feels about 1/2 full. The trick is to find a tire store that fills LP gas tanks that way you can pick up some more w-w while you get your tank filled.

georgeld
01-12-2007, 03:36 PM
They'll last a long time,

OR until you really need it on a Sat afternoon when everone is closed.
Then you'll be out and no backup.

Enjoy yourself,

imashooter2
03-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Well I either got screwed on the weight or there is a problem with my set up. I got 6 - 6.5 hours on the tank and that was only good for 5 buckets.

MT Gianni
03-10-2007, 08:09 PM
92,000 btu per gallon x 5 gal =460,000 btu per 6 hrs =76,000 btu hr about twice what most turkey friers are rated. Short tank or overfired burner. Gianni

Dale53
03-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Most propane tanks have the empty weight stamped into the protective collar around the valve. Weigh an empty tank on a bath room scale to check it. Then weigh a full tank when you get it home. You might find, as I did, that the exchange tanks are only filled with 18 lbs instead of 20 lbs. I found a supplier that charges a flat handling fee and the actual cost per gallon of the gas on the day that he fills your tank. He also gives you a FULL 20 lb tank. To make this clear, if you take a half filled tank in, you only get charged for how much he puts in your tank plus the standard handling fee.

Pick up a spare tank at a garage sale or flea market for peanuts and have a full extra on hand at all times.

Dale53

MGySgt
03-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Here is another twist - new tanks are 17 pound not 20's. I didn't find that out until my wife had swapped out all my oold tanks for new ones. She didn't noticed the difference in size and actually I didn't either until I looked at a brand new one!

No_1
03-10-2007, 09:26 PM
I always fill at the u-haul dealer since they actually weigh your tank as they fill it and only charge what they fill.

Robert

Most propane tanks have the empty weight stamped into the protective collar around the valve. Weigh an empty tank on a bath room scale to check it. Then weigh a full tank when you get it home. You might find, as I did, that the exchange tanks are only filled with 18 lbs instead of 20 lbs. I found a supplier that charges a flat handling fee and the actual cost per gallon of the gas on the day that he fills your tank. He also gives you a FULL 20 lb tank. To make this clear, if you take a half filled tank in, you only get charged for how much he puts in your tank plus the standard handling fee.

Pick up a spare tank at a garage sale or flea market for peanuts and have a full extra on hand at all times.

Dale53

Forester
03-10-2007, 09:36 PM
That must be why it always seemed my burner melts WWs in a big hurry...I only get about 6-7 hours of burntime from a tank myself.

I smelted 10 gallons of WWs yesterday and that is all the alloy I own now...excluding the 1 year supply of boolits I have cast ahead of myself of course. I think I will make a few of my lower volume calibers tomorrow:Fire:

carpetman
03-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Propane isn't really that efficient. I had a car that would run on propane and there was a marked decrease in power and performance and the mileage wasn't good. I think on same type stoves that can run on natural gas or propane there is a much lesser output from the propane. My outdoor grill is natural gas and if I were going to a turkey fryer I'd go same route---I realize not all of you have natural gas availble but if so,it's the better choice.

floodgate
03-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Dale53:

Here in CA, at least, it is illegal to fill propane tanks to over 90% of rated capacity, and to refill tanks that do not have a vent that dumps anything over that. Isn't it nice that they CARE?

floodgate

Duckiller
03-10-2007, 10:54 PM
According to my propane dealer the new valves,required on all tanks,40 lbs and less, prevent the tanks from being filled over 90%. Requirement for new valves went into effect about 2004.

MT Gianni
03-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Propane isn't really that efficient. I had a car that would run on propane and there was a marked decrease in power and performance and the mileage wasn't good. I think on same type stoves that can run on natural gas or propane there is a much lesser output from the propane. My outdoor grill is natural gas and if I were going to a turkey fryer I'd go same route---I realize not all of you have natural gas availble but if so,it's the better choice.

We are back to btu content per gallon. Propane about 91,800 btu gasoline is 140,000 btu. Gas gives you a lot more power and quickness. The convertible Nat. Gas/Propane have the same btu per burner they do it with different pressures and orifice sizes. If the two get mixed up you either soot or burn really weak. Gianni.