PDA

View Full Version : Questions for shooters with old eyes

Duckiller
01-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Dr has been telling me that I have the beginnings of cataracks in both eyes. During recent exam I was informed that my right eye would be ready for an operation in 6 mos to 1 yr. I am VERY right handed/eyed. Shooting with #2 son Friday night and had trouble seeing details on targets beyond 21 feet. The question is, after the operation will I be able to see well enough to be able to use iron sights on rifles? Not into competition just would like to be able to hunt and reasonably be see what I am shooting at. If answer is no then future rifle purchases will be with an eye toward telescopic sights. Could members who have been through this share their experiences. Duckiller

mag_01
01-07-2007, 10:23 PM
:coffee: --A shooting buddy of mine had it done and said he could see sights and target clearer. But Doc told him to stay away from heavy recoil-only light duty rifles. I'm in the same boat as you don't know when I will have it done but today at the range was not good started at 50 yards. could not see then went to 25yrds. and still everything was a blur some days better than others. Good luck--Mag

waksupi
01-07-2007, 10:46 PM
I went to aperture sights a few years back. It seems to be a somewhat satisfactory solution. Remove the big aperture, and look through the ghost ring, and it is pretty workable

floodgate
01-07-2007, 11:46 PM
Duckkiller:

I had cataracts removed and lens implants, both eyes, over ten years ago, and my wife did a couple of years later. Mine took 3-4 days to heal up, but by the time hers were done (same doctor), things had improved so that she was up and going the next day. The GOOD news is, the improvement is GREAT and you'll think you were born again! The less good news is, you'll no longer be able to change focus from near to far, so will have to have glasses for reading, or distance, or both. But there's a good part to that, too - you can specify the focal length of the implants. I asked for best focus at 30", which lets me see the front sight of rifle or pistol in focus, target and rear sight only a bit blurred, but I can see clearly enough to read without glasses if I hold the book in my lap, and by daylight I COULD drive safely enough if I broke or lost my glasses - though I don't make a practice of it. Talk it out thoroughly with your doc, and the "second-opinion" one your insurance may insist on, ask all the questions you can think of, and insist on clear answers. I didn't get any warnings about recoil; though I'll probably stay out of heavyweight boxing from here on out(!!!)

Doug Elliott

walltube
01-08-2007, 12:55 AM
Duckkiller,

I too have cataracts and am nearsighted. I now voluntarily limit my night driving. Both problems are to be addressed in one visit using a Lasix proceedure. It may be to your benefit to ask your opthalmologist if he does such surgury.

All the geezers I know who have had such cataract removal and vision corrections praise Lasix as a Second Coming. I have witnessed two, one my Dearly Beloved (not a geezer yet) :) and another kinfolk's (certified geezer) entire Lasix surgury via closed circuit TV. In 15 minutes each it was over and done with. The kinfolk did require a "tune-up" at a later date to one eye that both her peepers were the same exact vision. Both patients were out three days later looting and pillaging at the local garage sales. Have you ever seen how brutal some women can be over garage sale items :shock: ? No post-op issues there I'd say.

Ask your surgeon and keep us up to date your progress.

Yrs. Tly.

Walltube

MT Gianni
01-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Walltube, My wife had lasic and it improved her night vision immensely. The Dr's say it shouldn't do so but it sure did. 4 of her sisters had Lasic with no noticible improvement in night vision but they all went with the one nearsighted and one eye far sighted. Holly wears a contact for near vision when working as you loose so much depth perception with doing it that way. Gianni.

1Shirt
01-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Duck Killer, Had the operation(s) one at a time 5 and 3 years ago on first right eye, and then the left. The doc said that there was a pecularity with my eyes, and that as a result of that I have lens on the outside of my eyes rather than being inserted. I had a lot of problems seeing iron sights for quite awhile, and went to receiver and as one of the guys said took out the small apature(sp). Put MO JO's on my K-31 and Swed, and that helped also. Over the last year the vision seems to have improved a bit more in clarity, and I am now able to shoot some straight iron sights at least half decently. I am right handed, and after shooting a fair amount with open/receiver sights, my right eye gets tired and bothers me some. My bottom line is that regardless, I will continue to shoot what ever I have as long as I can pull a trigger (Safely)
1Shirt!:coffee:

walltube
01-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Walltube, My wife had lasic and it improved her night vision immensely. The Dr's say it shouldn't do so but it sure did. 4 of her sisters had Lasic with no noticible improvement in night vision but they all went with the one nearsighted and one eye far sighted. Holly wears a contact for near vision when working as you loose so much depth perception with doing it that way. Gianni.

MT Gianni,

That is indeed unexpected happy concequences. Too bad your Holly's sisters were not as lucky.

My Janie opted to keep both eyes the same vision that she would not have to bother with contact lens, and like your sisters-in-law, Janie's night vision did not improve. Her having to use .75 diopter "Dollar Store" glasses for up close work, reading, etc. and sensitivity to bright sunlight are the only negatives. She now has scads of inexpensive "cool" sunglasses :).... Janie is quick to point to the positive benefits of Lasix as a means of "git 'er done" after years of dealing with acute stigmatisim and near-sightedness.

W'tube

357tex
01-08-2007, 08:15 PM
duckiller
I had a catarack taken off my right eye in aug.I can now see to shoot open sights just like I could when I was 30.I have to use reading glasses but thats all.It is great,the V.A.did mine & will do the left one in may.It took about a week to get healed up.It was like I was in a new world.My k31 shoots great with open sights now.