PDA

View Full Version : 450marlin loads

Ozarklongshot
07-04-2011, 05:37 PM
OK start with 450marlin, Acquired 300, 400gGC boolits, Haven't really found any solid load info. Check SAMMI do some homework and settle on 3031 start load at 46g work up to 52g no signs of any pressure problems. Load and fire one piece of brass at 52g 3031 10X absolutely no excess signs. No leading all seems good. Back down to 50g just for safety sake. Final recipe is a FED210 50g of IMR3031 400gGC (actual avg wgt is 396) Average velocity is 1686 grouping just a hair over 1 3/4" at 100yds on a rest.
Casual observation is slightly less recoil than factory round with 350g jacketed. Little more smoke (lube?)
I've been reloading for decades but steppin up to cast in rifles is new territory for me.
Am I on the right track? Have I missed anything? I'd really like to bust a pig this year with this round. One last question. How do GC's do exiting ported barrels???
If this all works out I'm gonna have to find this mold, I got these from a gunshop closing years ago just never got around to using them.

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g363/Skyshot1/Guns/450heavy.jpg

Ozarklongshot
07-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Am I asking the right question in the right place???

leftiye
07-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Sorry ah cain't help. Never even seen a Marlin .450. Your cases look good, that boolit at 1680 fps should kill pigs like a freight train flattens nails. Could maybe like to be hollow pointed, eh? Accuracy is good. I guess we might be wondering what there is to ask.

Gas checks & muzzle brakes - if'n the boolit makes it through, the gas check will be just fine.

Rockydog
07-04-2011, 11:36 PM
Very nice looking loads. I always wanted to build a bolt gun in that round. If you are going to hang right around that 1700FPS or less you might get by without a GC style boolit. I just started loading 45-70 with 405 gr. Lyman 457193 FN FB. So far I've been up near 1600 (book value) using IMR 4895 with no leading using WW with a bit of tin for fill out. Great fun, modest recoil, no checks to buy. That big flat nose on the 457193 should put the smack down on anything it hits. RD

Marlin Junky
07-05-2011, 03:53 PM
You might be better suited by using those Lyman 458-round-nosed-whatever (can't recall the mold #) boolits for target practice and acquiring a similar weight boolit with a decent meplat diameter for actually harvesting your bacon. Don't worry about the ports, especially while using a GC boolit. If you're not a caster, there are several outfits that can provide a more suitable hunting boolit for your endeavor but the alloy may not be the same as your round nose samples; therefore, a powder charge tweak may be necessary. If you can easily scratch those boolits with your fingernail, then you may have a one shot load. Here's another idea... if you know anyone with boolit sizing equipment, you might try enlarging the meplat with a file.

MJ

Ozarklongshot
07-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks guys I really do appreciate it. Yes I have casting equipment and have been casting lots of handgun mostly 45ACP for decades. Just never really applied to rifles and would like to add that skill set. I had these around and rather than melt them down thought it might be a good jumping off point. I really would like to load cast in a 375 H&H and 405 win. Seemed that heavy straight wall would be the correct place to start a slow learning curve. I know I'm not going to obtain jacketed velocities but I don't mind doing the GC thing if need be. I would like cast rounds that can "be all they can be" so to speak. One silly question, where is the best place to buy molds??? Just hold out and wait on good used or buy new? I'd like the larger meplat but hate buying a mold only to find out I can't get the design to do what I want it to? I got lots of those in pistol calibers. Thanks again!!!

Marlin Junky
07-05-2011, 07:01 PM
...where is the best place to buy molds??? Just hold out and wait on good used or buy new? I'd like the larger meplat but hate buying a mold only to find out I can't get the design to do what I want it to? I got lots of those in pistol calibers. Thanks again!!!

The best place to buy new molds is the one that suits you best. Assuming you're comfortable with Lee 6-cavity molds; how 'bout starting here:

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_5_14

MJ

onesonek
07-05-2011, 08:16 PM
You can also check out Accurate Molds,,, http://www.accuratemolds.com/
Tom would be glad to help you out, and if you have an idea of what you want, he'll help you out with a design, if he doesn't already have it cataloged. If you don't have an idea, he can still help you out. Yes they cost a little more, but well worth it imho.

Ozarklongshot
07-05-2011, 11:18 PM
You can also check out Accurate Molds,,, http://www.accuratemolds.com/
Tom would be glad to help you out, and if you have an idea of what you want, he'll help you out with a design, if he doesn't already have it cataloged. If you don't have an idea, he can still help you out. Yes they cost a little more, but well worth it imho.

Ok thats what I'm lookin for. I have learned to spend the money on quality molds. I don't mind AL 6 bangers for volume. But I do like brass!!!
I hope you get a price break for sendin me there LOL I can see my money headin that way. I do have some Mihec molds on order too.
Thanks really that was the info I needed

XWrench3
07-06-2011, 07:05 PM
the closest i can come is my 45/70 (marlin). it sounds like you are in the right ball park to me. i do have to agree with a flatter meplat though, unless THOSE ARE PURE SOFT LEAD. i just came back from shooting this afternoon, i shot straight through an 8" (live) oak tree with a 350g Ranch Dog (linotype alloy) boolit! that should give you some idea of the power of these big bore monsters. as far as gas checks go, i have a muzzle break installed on mine, there has never been a problem with it. unless there is a sharp edge on your porting, there should be no problem with yours.

stubert
07-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Not a 450, a 45-70 in a non ported guide gun. My go to load is 49 gr. 3031 under an RCBS 45-405 that I had buckshot hollowpoint. It weighs 390 gr. lubed and checked, 10 shot 50 yd. groups are one big hole.

Doc Highwall
07-06-2011, 08:27 PM
I have used IMR-3031 in my 1895 in 45-70 with 46-48 grains for blasting away at the range and as much as 53 grains for hunting with a 385 grain bullet. most groups were under 2" for 5 shots at 100 yards with some about 1".

Ozarklongshot
07-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks very much. It really helps to know that I wasn't way off track and venturing into danger. I was just working off of some older 45-70 info. The big plus is that I now know which direction to work towards. (flatter meplat)
With GC boolits, do you work up till pressure starts to show and back down?? or just try to get to a specific velocity based on jacketed (% below x) so to speak?? Curious about how others do load development when working in an uncharted area?

stubert
07-06-2011, 08:57 PM
If you switch to a flat nose, you will be able to hunt anything on the continent, a 400 grain boolit at 1650 is formidable.

Leadforbrains
07-06-2011, 09:14 PM
My son has a .450 Marlin. He's got a single cavity RCBS mold for a 405 gr gaschecked flatpoint boolit. He has settled on H4198 powder for his reloads.

Ozarklongshot
07-06-2011, 09:48 PM
My son has a .450 Marlin. He's got a single cavity RCBS mold for a 405 gr gaschecked flatpoint boolit. He has settled on H4198 powder for his reloads.

What is the load??? any idea on velocity??? you can't just taunt and run now LOL

Leadforbrains
07-07-2011, 04:23 AM
I will have to call him later on today and get the load data.

Leadforbrains
07-07-2011, 08:03 PM
My son uses 38 grs. of H4198 over a cast flat point boolit that weighs 417 grs with gascheck and lube. There is no leading and The accuracy is very good at 50 yards with the factory ironsights. I hope this helps.

giz189
07-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks very much. It really helps to know that I wasn't way off track and venturing into danger. I was just working off of some older 45-70 info. The big plus is that I now know which direction to work towards. (flatter meplat)
With GC boolits, do you work up till pressure starts to show and back down?? or just try to get to a specific velocity based on jacketed (% below x) so to speak?? Curious about how others do load development when working in an uncharted area? The reason for the 450 Marlin's being is to be able to load hotter than .45-70 and not be able to put those casings in a .45-70, thus the belt. You should be able to find plenty of reloading info on the 450 Marlin that will jar your fillings out with a 400 - 405 gr boolit. If not, you can load the upper limits of 45-70 info, just start lower and work up to max slowly. I would not load any loads over max listed in manuals and usually a couple of grains below max will give you best results.

Ozarklongshot
07-07-2011, 09:20 PM
My son uses 38 grs. of H4198 over a cast flat point boolit that weighs 417 grs with gascheck and lube. There is no leading and The accuracy is very good at 50 yards with the factory ironsights. I hope this helps.

Got it!!! Tell your son thanks!!!

Lloyd Smale
07-08-2011, 07:26 AM
one of the most accurate 45 cal rifle bullets and works good on game too. Only downside is its only available in a single cav mold. Not a big deal for me as i dont go out and shoot 500 of them in a day. If you need more production just buy two of them.

Ole
07-08-2011, 07:26 PM
I use mostly H4198 in my .450 Marlin guide gun.

Neither of my loads are max, but I like 42 grains with the 350 Ranch Dog bullet, and 36 grains with the 425 Ranch Dog bullet. Max powder charge with this powder is listed on the Ranch Dog site is 47 (350 bullet) and 40.7 (425 bullet) grains respectively.

Another load that I shoot quite often is 20 grains of Alliant 2400, topped with .5 gr of poly fill, with the unchecked 425 ranch dog seated on top. These run about 1250 fps and are a genuine pleasure to shoot. They shoot plenty flat out to 50-75 yards. Hit the bottom of a 6" bull at 100 yards, sighted in for 25 yards.