PDA

View Full Version : FFL question

waksupi
01-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Got a question. If you are sending a firearm to a FFL holder, is it necessary to have a copy of his license, to send the firearm to them?

AH! found the answer on the BATF site. No copy needed on the senders end, just at the end reciever's end. Long arms can be sent by Post Office, registered mail recommended. Pistols must be sent by common carrier, UPS and the like. Shipper must be notified that thepackage contains a firearm. No markings are to be allowed to be placed on the outside indicating the package contains a firearm, from any shipper.

No_1
01-07-2007, 04:13 PM
My gunshop buddy says he always wants to see a copy of the FFL that belongs to the receiving end so he knows he is sending in accordance with the applicable rules/regs.

Robert

Scrounger
01-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Handguns can also be shipped dealer to dealer through the Post Office Priority Mail, not required to be registered, neither are rifles which ordinary citizens can ship to dealers Parcel Post or Priority Mail. There is a Post Office form, 1508 I think it is both dealers must have on file with their Post Office. Needless to say, most dealers and most Post Offices, and UPS don't know their own rules, much less the others. I suggest you insure. Private citizens can only ship handguns to dealers by UPS but must use Air which makes it prohibitively expensive. I'm not sure if FedeX will take them at all. I get conflicting information from their website. I guess it gets down to what the guy on the ground thinks the rules are.

NVcurmudgeon
01-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Scrounger, I received an 1895 Nagant revolver via Fedex about May of 2005. Of course, considering the trigger pull of a Nagant, it is arguably not a weapon!