PDA

View Full Version : Investigation of release, fate and transport of lead from motor

garl
07-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Investigation of release, fate and transport of lead from motor
vehicle wheel weights.

Study on the loss and dispersion of lead wheel weights from motor vehicles in NJ.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/dsr/research/wheel.pdf

Bulldogger
07-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Good news that of an estimated 12tons of WW lost roadside in NJ every year less than 40kg gets into the environment, far less than from other common sources .

Bad news that boolit casters are missing out on 12 tons of casting material just lying there going to waste.

Bdgr

Gswain
07-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Hahaha, thats what went through my head too! Hmmm, maybe ill start looking on roads for WWs :)

Ohio Rusty
07-04-2011, 10:38 AM
I think that all the time driving down the road ....'I wonder how many WW's are laying in the grassy median' ..... I've been known to pull over and grab a WW laying on the edge of the road or check out the shoulders at busy intersections for orphan WW's wanting to come home with me.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Gtek
07-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Been doing it for years, check the intersections where all the wrecks are. A couple a week. Gee, now I feel better about myself saving the enviroment. Gtek

"LEAD= new excuse for stupid Liberal kids"

Jim Flinchbaugh
07-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Correct me if I 'm wrong, but doesn't lead come "from" the environment?

cbrick
07-04-2011, 11:19 AM
I didn’t read the NJ report but it reminded me of a report from I think it was Michigan a few years back that published a study on lost WW in that state. The numbers they used were ridiculous beyond absurd. If the amount of weights lost were even close to reality there wouldn’t have been a single vehicle in the state that still had a weight attached. Both sides of every road in the state would be knee deep in lost weights, all you would ever need to get more weights than you could possibly use would be a coal shovel and a large truck to haul them off.

The Democrat in CA that pushed for banning lead weights was asked if so many WW are lost from vehicles every year what happens to all of these weights, where are they? His answer . . . They are run over by vehicles and ground up into dust where they go straight into the ground water.

Answers like that work well on the Cool Aid drinkers but for anyone with even the slightest ability to think . . .

Rick

SciFiJim
07-04-2011, 12:29 PM
I read the article until I got to the estimation of 1500 tons on WWs on the roads in the US. There are roughly 4 million paved miles of road in the US. The math works out to 12 oz per mile for EVERY mile. I call BS on the project. I would love to find that many. They just aren't there.

mroliver77
07-04-2011, 12:42 PM
I ride a bicycle quite a bit. I don't miss much (i think) that is roadside at least in the berm or low grass. I find bungy cords, bolts, nuts, money, gloves, lunch boxes etc. I do find the occasional WW but not very many. Some are ran over and somewhat polished but nothing lays on the road long. It is worked to the side pretty quickly from being propelled by tires.
I have driven an auto for 35 years. I do most of the work myself. I have my own tire machine and balancer. I rarely have lost a WW in my life!

I am too lazy to read the study but have read others in the past. Weights that were unaccounted for I assumed had ended up as boolits and fishing weights.
J

wmitty
07-05-2011, 03:48 PM
I inspect construction projects for the highway dept. here in Hell (Texas). I am constantly on the look out for lost wheel weights and find most in the curbed sections of roadway and at intersections. I do find some along the shoulders of the interstate ( un-curbed) but not nearly as many as at locations where vehicles come to a stop or are traveling at low speeds. I am guessing the weights are loosened by inertia due to multiple tire/ roadway impacts and then drop off when centrifugal forces due to tire rotation fall to zero/ near zero. It would seem a high concentration of weights would be found near pavement failures (potholes) but in high speed roadway locations I have not found this to be the case.

Marlin Junky
07-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Investigation of release, fate and transport of lead from motor
vehicle wheel weights.

Study on the loss and dispersion of lead wheel weights from motor vehicles in NJ.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/dsr/research/wheel.pdf

And NJ is the most densely populated state in the country! Can someone actually make a case for the existence of the EPA? Why can't individual counties be responsible for their own environment? Don't we have enough lawyers to keep everyone in line?

MJ

Carolina Cast Bullets
07-05-2011, 06:10 PM
This is another example of the bureaucratic scramble to justify its own exhistance.

"If we (the bureaucrats) are here and getting a large budget, we must do something to justify that expenditure"

Just my opinion, feel free to correct me if you feel I am wrong.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

nanuk
07-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Hahaha, thats what went through my head too! Hmmm, maybe ill start looking on roads for WWs :)

I used to hitchhike LOTS, and often walked for miles before getting a ride....

I have seen all kinds of stuff on the highways, but seldom a WW....

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-05-2011, 08:05 PM
I didn’t read the NJ report but it reminded me of a report from I think it was Michigan a few years back that published a study on lost WW in that state. The numbers they used were ridiculous beyond absurd. If the amount of weights lost were even close to reality there wouldn’t have been a single vehicle in the state that still had a weight attached. Both sides of every road in the state would be knee deep in lost weights, all you would ever need to get more weights than you could possibly use would be a coal shovel and a large truck to haul them off. Rick

I perused the article and found this in the "results". I didn't understand all the BLAH BLAH BLAH that lead up to this...
'which would translate to approximately 300 weights per km per
week'

L1A1Rocker
07-05-2011, 09:23 PM
In my apx 26 years of driving I've lost two WWs. I also estimate that that is apx 650 thousand miles I've driven. I'm not believing the "study".

10x
07-09-2011, 12:02 PM
The real release of lead from motors was the organically active tetra ethyl lead that was in gasoline between 1923 and 1971. There were approximately 20 million tonnes of lead blown out of the exhaust pipes of gasoline driver engines every year during that time. It makes pollution by wheel weights insignificant.

beagle
07-09-2011, 02:46 PM
There's a study kicking around on the net made in Virginia about the affects of the lead left over from bullets from the Petersburg battlefield and it's affects on the water supply. Seems as if there is no affect after all those years and lead levels were at or below normal compared to other sections of the country. The study indicated that lead oxidizes and forms a "cocoon" that remains intact unless someone disturbs it.

Had a friend give me some .69 caliber round balls picked up with a metal detector in the vicinity of Williamsburg, VA. Eventually, I melted them into a batch of bullets.

Talk about present day casters being hard up...... Those produced some of the hardest bullets I've ever tried to size. Then guys would use anything that would melt. Sure wish I had a ton of it./beagle

felix
07-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Dang, John, shoulda' kept at least one ball. We could have it analyzed by RotoMetals. ... felix

steg
07-10-2011, 06:07 AM
I wonder what this really cost the tax payers in New Jersey, or possily all of us, but you know it was necessary or the Libs wouldn't do it, would they?