PDA

View Full Version : 40 Gibbs?

Bagdadjoe
07-04-2011, 09:36 AM
I just purchased a .40 Pedersoli Gibbs off gbroker...now for the wait! I've seen some posts of people shooting the .451, but no .40's. Anyone have any experience with one?
I'll have to wait for it to get here to determine which twist it is so a mold can be ordered. Hard to get someone to do such a simple chore for you. Fast or slow doesn't matter too much to me, I can only shoot about 200 yards conveniently.
I'm shooting pyrodex in my GPR Lyman, but hopefully I can scrape up some funds for a bulk order of black pretty soon. I'm seeing a lot of good comments about KIK which is probably what I'll order.
Comments or advise anyone?

Boz330
07-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Joe, as you probably know there were 2 different twist rates for the 40 and from what I understand the slow twist didn't do very well so Pedersoli came up with the faster twist, 16 IIRC. I'm not sure what the slow twist was. I believe that Dan Theodore got a fast twist Gibbs 40 to fool with but I've never seen anything written by him on it. I was considering one at one time but just never had the funds and inclination all at the same time.
Friendship isn't that far from where you are and their range goes out to 500yd. I would think that the 40 would shine at that sort of distance even with the slow twist barrel. And if you feel really froggy Camp Atterbury has some 800, 900, & 1000yd matches a couple times a year and that isn't that far away either.
Keep us posted on how you do with the 40, inquiring minds want to know.

Bob

johnson1942
08-15-2012, 11:50 PM
this is one year late but may still help. buy about 400 grain paper patched bullet 8 thousand under the size of the top of the lands of your bore. probably .392. patch them with number nine paper. put the paper on opposite the way the rifleing turns. use a fiber or poly wad between the powder and the base of the bullet. about 80 grains of 2f works good. do not use any black powder subs. only black powder can bump up a paperpatched bullet. you probably have it all figured out by now any ways. cryo the barrel it will clean easier shoot better and load easier. any questions go to pineridgeblackpowder.com and get my email or phone number i can help more with your great gun. not a sales pitch just fun talk. johnson1942