PDA

View Full Version : new alloy won't cast

medic44
01-06-2007, 10:10 PM
I've got a new batch of ww that will cast 230 gr 45s but I can'y get it to cast 160 gr 7.62 x 39 unless I hold the mold in the lead for 45 sec first.

arkypete
01-06-2007, 10:18 PM
A couple of questions.
What company made your mold?
What's the temp. of your alloy?
Jim

medic44
01-06-2007, 10:29 PM
LEE molds, LEE pot set a max. 45 boolits look frosted. 7.62x 39 160 gr look like I'm casting too cold after 25 boolits unless I put the mold in the melt for 45 sec. Then they cast frosted and it takes 15-20 sec for the sprue to set. Drop in cold water and boolets are very hard.

Ricochet
01-06-2007, 10:33 PM
I always preheat my Lee mould blocks in the alloy before starting to cast. Otherwise, just as you say, it takes forever to get them to quit coming out like prunes.

imashooter2
01-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Float the blocks for 45 seconds every pour or just the first? Just the first, I see no problem. Every pour... something is wrong.

arkypete
01-06-2007, 10:41 PM
LEE molds, LEE pot set a max. 45 boolits look frosted. 7.62x 39 160 gr look like I'm casting too cold after 25 boolits unless I put the mold in the melt for 45 sec. Then they cast frosted and it takes 15-20 sec for the sprue to set. Drop in cold water and boolets are very hard.

Any chance you are casting outside? The weather is cool to cold, pot heating element cannot keep up.
That's why my Lee pot is setting on the floor of the loading shed, replaced by RCBS pots. I should add that the Lyman pot had the same problem and only gets used in the warmer weather.
Jim

medic44
01-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Casting inside. I dip it for the first cast and then have to again every 15 to 20 casts

imashooter2
01-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Casting inside. I dip it for the first cast and then have to again every 15 to 20 casts

Cast faster to keep the blocks hotter.

mag_01
01-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Medic44---I run into the same thing--I preheat the Lee mold in mix then cast a few are OK then mold runs cold single cavity 30 cal.----but larger boolits are OK like 38s 45s which are double molds and more lead in mold to keep it at temp for good casting--The only way I can cast good boolits in single cav. Lee rifle molds is cast and dump them quick--as soon as you see that sprue start to change cut and dump. Polish the inside of your Lee molds and they will drop quicker--don't have to smoke.----Mag

garandsrus
01-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Medic44,

As other folks said, speed up the process!

Another thing you can do that might help if you are ladel pouring is to allow some alloy to dribble down the side of the mold while filling it. In other words, pour most of the ladle full for each boolit. This will add heat to the mold.

John

Springfield
01-06-2007, 11:10 PM
And get some Bullshop lube so you can cast faster without smearing.

arkypete
01-06-2007, 11:48 PM
I don't use Lee molds, I find that they are more trouble then any savings I may realise.
It may be that the Lee molds just don't have enough mass to maintain temp. I have NEI aluminum molds that work like a champ all the rest of my molds are iron or brass.
Jim

versifier
01-07-2007, 01:03 AM
Your description is that of a mould that is too cool. I suspect that your casting speed is too slow. I have no problem using Lee single cavity moulds. It sounds to me like your pot is hot enough, but it likely could be hotter a little hotter, too, and that might help a little. Since you are running it at max, though, your only option is to speed up. When the mould is the right temperature, the boolits come out fine: sharp corners, no wrinkles, like they do with your larger mould. Cut the sprue immediately after it hardens and drop the boolit onto cloth (or into water if you need to), then refill it with alloy immediately. The faster you go, the hotter the mould stays. You do have to move faster with a single cavity mould, and also with long, thin boolits. You aren't putting in as much molten alloy as you are with a larger boolit or a multiple cavity mould. Are you dipping or bottom pouring? How many boolits (including culls) can you make in an hour at your current rate of casting? It is harder to run a dipper as fast as a bottom pour pot, but it's still a workable proposition. If you are getting streaking from the sprue cutter, try BullPlate Lube.

medic44
01-07-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm bottom pouring and casting faster than I did with my double mold or my single cavity 50 cal

VTDW
01-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Get a cheap hotplate at WallyWorld and heat your mould as you heat the lead. That is what I do. Also, when i need to stop for a while the hotplate will keep the mould up to heat.:castmine:

Dave

imashooter2
01-07-2007, 10:31 PM
I'm bottom pouring and casting faster than I did with my double mold or my single cavity 50 cal

Both of those get more lead in them and so keep the blocks hotter. Cast faster or get the alloy hotter before you pour.

Leftoverdj
01-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Ain't the mould. It's the pot. If your alloy were hot enough, you would not be having that problem.

medic44
01-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Cleaned out the hole on the bottom pour spout and increased flow rate x 3 now casting great. Thanks