PDA

View Full Version : LBT designs in iron/brass molds

Humbo
07-03-2011, 06:02 AM
I have several LBT molds, and they sure are top notch, but I'm starting to really prefer iron and brass molds. I find them easier to keep at the right temps and fillout is in general better. But I really like LBT's designs, and they are accurate as no other. Does anyone know any mold makers that make exact copies of those LBT designs, only in iron or brass molds?

tonyjones
07-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Check with Tom at accuratemolds.com. I think his CastBoolit handle is TomAM.

Regards,

Tony

white eagle
07-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Or go to Mountain Molds and
build yer own personalized boolit mold
kinda the Burger King of molds
have it your way
I to find that Iron,Brass molds easier to control
but aluminum is also good and bunches lighter

onesonek
07-03-2011, 07:44 PM
I'll second Tom at Accurate Molds

Humbo
07-04-2011, 02:27 AM
Great, thanks guys. I'll contact Tom and see what he can do for me.

44man
07-04-2011, 09:16 AM
I find no mold is easier or harder to use, even Lee molds.
I do make my own molds from scrap aircraft aluminum and make the blocks larger then needed. That allows me to go slower when casting but I still make a cheap Lee work as well as all the Lyman, RCBS and Hoch molds.
A very large boolit in a small block iron mold is no better then in aluminum. Larger blocks work better. Heat is held better with mass.

Humbo
07-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Maybe I'm a bit anal about the quality of my boolits, but my brass/iron molds sure drop them sharper with less weight variation. I cast indoors in my basement, and like to keep the melt temp as low as possible, usually well below 700 degrees. I like the boolits nice and shiny, and avoid all forms of frosting. Especially with the larger boolits, like 400+ grains in 50 caliber, it's hard to get a 100% fillout and avoid frosted areas with aluminum molds. There is just not enough meat on them to keep the temps stable.