PDA

View Full Version : Alloy vs mold vs size temps.

T Herder
07-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Having lurked here for quite some time my curiosity has been raised considerably with regards to the discrepancies noted by many of the members regarding alloy temp versus mold temp versus bullet size. My curiosity is now supplanted by I need to know! Thus my compulsion. Being the Technical Manager and Deputy Quality Manager for an accredited calibration laboratory and having access to and use of some of the most state of the art controls and equipment for the control and operation of precise environmental simulation equipment here’s my thoughts.
Determine the various differences in boolits from different alloy temps, mold temps, and mold metallurgy.
1. Use certified alloys only.
2. Cascade control the alloy temp and mold temp.
3. Increment the alloy and mold temps ie: Start the alloy temp at a given temp, start the mold temp at a given temp, increment the alloy temp in an established pattern let’s say 10 degrees while holding the mold temp constant.
4. Data log all of the temperatures versus time for each lot.
5. Data log the ambient conditions each lot was cast under.
6. Increment the mold temp ten degrees while holding the alloy temp constant.
7. Repeat steps 4. & 5.
8. Age the product in a controlled environment for an established time frame.
9. Measure and publish the results.
Let me define cascade control. In the environmental test world cascade control is the precise control of the product using multiple temp sensors. The product temp controls the source temp. That is the alloy temp will determine the speed and temp of the pot temp for our purposes and the mold temp will control the speed and temp of the mold heat.
With that said let me state that this is my project for next winter. I am currently formulating the test criteria forms. This will NOT be a quick nor short term project.
I would like to treat this in a manner similar to the Group Buy procedures in that the wealth of expertise from this site be utilized to establish each test for each mold metallurgy and alloy. Example: Brass mold, alloy X, start temp, end temp, air cooled, age at 25 degrees C and 50 % RH for one week, measure and record results, take pictures.
Accredited Calibration Certificates will be provided. Our Best Measurement Uncertainty for calibration of devices for this project is 0.62 degrees C in the range of -100 to 1372 degrees C.
There will be those who dispute the results, so be it, but these tests will be performed under accredited conditions. It is established that temp is temp, it doesn’t matter where you are the melting point of ice is 0 degrees C, water does not boil at the same temp etc.
The results could be used for those that desire to do so to build their own (as the members term it PID) set up to control their hot plate or modify their existing controls for their casting pots.
Regards,
T Herder

btroj
07-02-2011, 08:55 PM
This would be an interesting report to see. Seems like a HUGE amount of work to show what we already know. I look forward to seeing the results you get.

geargnasher
07-03-2011, 01:02 AM
A bold proposition. Such information would, not doubt, be useful to a very detail-oriented caster, and general trends could be noted for the indisputable record, even if the results were difficult to predict with the average caster's equipment.

Gear