PDA

View Full Version : Inside neck reaming dies/tools

Marlin Junky
07-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Does anyone out there sell a die/reamer set for inside "neck" reaming 444 case walls starting about 1/2" from the mouth and thinning toward the head approx. another 1/4"? I want to be able to shoot 350-400 grain boolits and the R-P cases start to swell when seating .433" diameter boolits greater than about .9" long.

Thanks,
MJ

HangFireW8
07-02-2011, 06:13 PM
I had this issue with 444 and got an extra-long expander plug made. Yes, they still look a little funny. They fit and function fine (for me, in my gun, anyway), so I never worried about it.

As long as brass has .001" (or more) to expand and release the bullet, and feeds and ejects OK, it is all right to be on the large side. As a positive, it means a more centered cartridge and a more centered start for the boolit, which is a Good Thing(tm).

To get back to your original question- no, I don't know of one, and I don't recommend inside neck reaming anyway. All the accuracy nuts have switched to outside reaming, with the brass supported on a nice round expander plug, because this is the easiest way to get a concentric result.

Are you looking at inside reaming because you have nickel brass?

-HF

scb
07-02-2011, 06:33 PM
You might be able to accomplish what your trying to do with a 44 Automag reamer die. If I had a case and a shell holder I'd try it for ya.

Marlin Junky
07-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Are you looking at inside reaming because you have nickel brass?

-HF

No, I just thought a die to tightly hold the case and reamer would work best. I know of no outside turning mechanism that'll cut brass 3/4" from the case mouth and would imagine getting a .432" outside neck turning pilot might be kinda tough; however, I'm all ears. Currently, with the brass I own, I can finger seat a .433" boolit into a case fired with a maximum load about .6" deep. That makes even the RD 432-350 an iffy proposition... I'm actaully trying to decide on a purchase of this mold based on the dimensions provided on Ranch Dog's website.

MJ

shooter93
07-02-2011, 08:52 PM
You might want to check Forster neck reamers, they may be long enough. I don't have a 44/444 to measure for you but I'm certain a call or email would get you an answer. I belive they will also make reamers for their machine in any size you want, a great company.

HangFireW8
07-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Getting a custom reamer plug made shouldn't be hard, but the extra-deep tool would still be the issue.

I'm still wondering if reaming is really necessary.

Marlin Junky
07-05-2011, 07:15 PM
...but the extra-deep tool would still be the issue.

Yes, issue as in expense! I'll seat a few of my 315 PBs real deep, fire 'em and see whether an RD 432-350 is feasible. Maybe I got hold of some extra thick R-P brass, but I've got a lot of it and it's no where near wrung out yet.

MJ

nanuk
07-05-2011, 07:44 PM
MJ: is there a chucking reamer the size you could use? maybe someone on here could make you a quick jig, like a chamber/short stub to slide a reamer in......

take a chunk of 7/8x14 stock, drill out a undersized hole, then ream through with the chucking reamer. then ream from one end in about 0.800 with a reamer big enough to account for the brass thickness, say 0.030 bigger than the first. chamfer the edges

then using 7/8x14, file/lathe a plug oversized, say to 0.440, to expand the mouth of the round down to 0.800, to form a squeeze fit into your new reamer die....

mount it in a press, and expand a case

then mount your ream die and run the case in, and run your reamer down...

perhaps you will have to stone the cutting edges of the reamer and just leave the front and a bit of the side to cut the brass, so the dull reamer edges act as a bushing.

get a depth stop of some sort on the reamer and a tap handle. (grind a flat or four on the reamer to clamp the tap handle to)

and slowly ream by hand down to the the stop....

:veryconfu

Or NOT!

BCall
07-06-2011, 01:25 AM
If you just happen to have a Wilson case trimmer, you might give them a call. I know they will do custom size neck reamers for not too much cash. A 444 case holder and a custom neck reamer would do the trick I would think. I dunno if they will for sure reach 3/4" in the case, but they look like they will.

Alternatively, if you had a Wilson trimmer, you could get a chucking reamer as nanuk suggested and have it bushed to fit the Wilson trimmer so it would be held straight. Then you could probably ream it just about as deap as you wanted.

RCBS makes custom reamer dies and reamers for them, but the price seems very high when it would seem the same thing could be done on a Wilson trimmer for less money.

nicholst55
07-06-2011, 05:08 AM
Sinclair has a 'large caliber' neck turner, and they will make custom one-off mandrels, I do know that. I asked them about a mandrel for neck turning .45-70 and longer BPCR brass, which they don't currently offer. They said that they would make a mandrel for me, but didn't quote a price in the e-mail.

The neck turning setup is $89.95, and then whatever they would charge for a mandrel. That's quite a bit of cash to lay out.

HangFireW8
07-09-2011, 02:08 PM
The neck turning setup is $89.95, and then whatever they would charge for a mandrel. That's quite a bit of cash to lay out.

Sinclair was never cheap, and now alas, they've been bought by Brownell's, so forget about the price coming down.

beagle
07-09-2011, 02:37 PM
I ended up doing that on my .458 X 2" brass made from .300 Win Mag and 7mm Mag brass and it helped a bunch. I used a Forster inside neck reamer for the job./beagle