PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel calls?

Changeling
07-02-2011, 05:36 PM
I was wondering if any of you guys actually have had any luck with squirrel calls? I really haven't is my reason for the post !
If you have had luck with them please explain your process and the type of calls you use. I suppose the area one lives in might have something to do with it, I'm in Maryland, (Grey squirrels).

dk17hmr
07-02-2011, 06:20 PM
I used one all the time when I was squirrel hunting in Michigan. Mine is a plunger style like this one http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/GOdj6W8sXE0fJxvaVEHWyhjLxtnXktSzP7H71u8doWaYG6o30V 13Tjgthys_uYtTsC60CED2bkm80hT
fwgv_Ptmj4GP9e5IPFYw6ATnD1kDxTvxEseHXXE8Pi0dwDO_pA KNzvWDRNVs_b4uZp9l2K-HTuz8TaMQ

Basically I would walk around until I saw a squirrel or found cuttings where the squirrel had dropped sticks and acorns down from the top of the trees, take a seat and hit the call a couple times and see what happends.

Thumbcocker
07-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Kinda like a rattle bag; don't always work but when it does it works big time.

Uncle Grinch
07-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Have you ever tried one of these? I was skeptical at first, but they work. It's supposed to be a distress call. Make some noise by rustling the leaves or shake a bush.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Haydels-SW-92-MR-Squirrel-Whistle/5075113

LUCKYDAWG13
07-03-2011, 04:25 PM
i just use two Quarters and click them some times it works

onondaga
07-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Google the Famous Herter's 99 Squirrel Call. I have home made copies of this since I lost my original many decades ago.

link to picture:

http://www.bigtrestlegamecalls.com/DSCF7169_op_640x448.jpg

The call is easy to make, a piece of wood, a piece of metal, 2 screws and I use a bolt for a striker to make it bark. Bark about once a minute or less-that means happy gray squirrel. Rapid barking is frightened squirrel, don't do that. Listen to the squirrels in your area and you should be able to copy the pitch and length of their bark easily with this call by finding the right scraping speed with the striker. A coarse threaded 1/4 inch 18 tpi bolt 4 inches long works great

I cut a piece of a flexible rusty steel paint scraper for the blade. The call is 4 inches long total and you can drill a hole lengthwise in the wood to carry the bolt in.

I have used reeded bulb calls but they are so hard to get the pitch low enough with and way too loud. The 99 call isn't loud and it doesn't need to be, but you can really get good pitched barks with it if you listen to your squirrels when they are eating and socializing and copy that.

Gary

elk hunter
07-05-2011, 11:03 PM
I had one years ago, a bulb squeaker type, didn't have any luck with it. I think I had the same problem with it that I had with a duck call. I discovered I was speaking Mexican to the ducks, every time I would call to them they would remember an urgent appointment in Mexico and head south just as fast as they could go. My oldest son on the other hand can talk a duck out of its feathers.

EMC45
07-07-2011, 09:25 AM
I have a bark and distress whistle call. They both work....Well.

1kshooter
07-07-2011, 10:46 AM
what DK17HMR said X2 !
I have had a lot of luck with them using them the same way..my call is the primos 3 in one!
I like to trill blow in the end to make an alarm call of a squirel!

Ohio Rusty
07-09-2011, 04:01 PM
I used for years a piece of a rasp file and a bottle cap. Slowly pulled against the teeth of the rasp, the echo from the hollow bottle cap sounds just like a squirrel cutting nuts. That would usually give away their position and make them move.
Ohio Rusty ><>

DrB
07-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Great thread.

I've tried bulb barkers, and distress squeakers.

I've never found an advantage, as compared to stalking quietly into an area and moving to get a shot (if they don't see you) or waiting about 15 minutes for them to forget about you and give you a shot.

It's entirely likely that I'm doing it all wrong, though. I've never hunted with someone who did use calls.

superior
07-09-2011, 10:37 PM
+1 on rubbing two quarters together...it sounds like a competitor squirrel grinding his teeth.

DrB
07-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Are y'all calling only when the leaves are on or do you also call when they are off?

onondaga
07-09-2011, 11:28 PM
I only call when in an area where there is food that the Squirrels are actively eating regardless if there is leaves on the trees or not. A good knowledge Squirrel food identification is the biggest help for a Squirrel hunter. Sometimes I hunt wooded areas that have no nut trees and no Squirrel nests but they are adjacent to corn or grain fields that the Squirrels raid.

Gary

1kshooter
07-09-2011, 11:48 PM
you folks would have a blast in Ontario....tons of squirrels and I have been hunting for 32 years and have only met 2 other like minded hunters....most people that have hunted there whol lives around here all most gag when i tell them I like to hunt and eat them!
to say the least thay are very under utilized here!!

DrB
07-10-2011, 05:07 AM
Hardwood bottoms with water have always been my best producer. Onondaga, what do you find the benefit of calling to be? In my experience, if they don't notice your entry to an area they are active enough you soon see them. If they notice you, it depends on whether theyve been hunted before. "park squirrels" that haven't been hunted at all will sometimes run down a tree to bark at you even after you shoot one of their buddies, or will completely ignore you. Ones that have been hunted typically will see you first when the leaves are off and hunker down for 10 to 15 minutes before going back to what they were doing.

When does the calling work to your advantage?

onondaga
07-10-2011, 10:10 AM
I call squirrels for a couple of reasons. It helps to locate them by sound and it helps to locate them by sight.

I always use the happy socializing squirrel call- a single bark at 1 to 2 minute intervals. Usually I will make 10 or so barks like that and then wait 15 minutes and start the call sequence again.

The 15 minutes is enough time for them to forget where you are if you are still and hidden or in camouflage. Then starting a new calling sequence may cause them to move and reveal themselves by sight to me or they may bark back and reveal their general direction by their noise.

At this point in my life bringing my grandson with me Squirrel hunting is my biggest advantage. His hearing is superb and he can hear the squirrel claw sounds on the bark like I could as a boy. He can tell what direction a bark is coming from too. His vision is keen And I have taught him to look for subtle squirrel tail movement. Squirrels will frequently keep their heads and bodies hidden from hunters but they are generally clueless that their tails are twitching and may be visible to a hunter.

Gary

10 ga
07-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Been calling squirrels for 50 years. Grandfather taught me how to "chuck" them by making a cluck sound with the corner of your mouth. Sorta like the bang type calls. Have used the kind with rubber bellows that imitate the chuck too. However my favorite is the Hadels "Mr. Squirrel" whistle. Read the instructions that come with it and it works great to get squirrels to reveal where they are. And be prepared! I have also had multitudes of predators respond to that call too. Grey and Red Fox, Hawks and owls etc... It is even one of my favorites for calling fox at night, especially close to brushy woods etc... Best, 10 ga

Reverend Recoil
07-19-2011, 11:31 PM
I too have used the two-quarters call. It works. One of my old hunting buddies used a rubber squeak toy to call squirrels.

Changeling
07-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Well thanks guys, it seems that maybe I should give them another try. I am definitely NOT new to squirrel hunting, being mostly a sneak and stop type hunter. However where I hunt they are getting smarter as time gos on, so I thought that you guys could teach me some new tricks. Thanks to all for there input.

I will give that squeaker type call a try.

w5pv
07-24-2011, 01:35 PM
I have used this method about 60 years and it work pretty good.Just take your knife and scrape a hickory nit with it to making a scraping sound.A pecan also works but doesn't last as long.They will look at you but I don't remember one barking back.It will work on cat(grey)or fox squirrels

EMC45
07-26-2011, 03:23 PM
The scraping sound will alert them to feeding in the area. It will get them moving. The distress whistle will make them think a baby is hurt and they will come out to check it out, often times barking and giving away their location. The bellows bark call will get them barking and they will "talk back" to you and then you can locate them. I like to stalk hunt them. I can't sit still at all. I like to creep through the woods with a 12ga and call them up. They will give themselves away by "calling back" and then I creep in and blast them.