PDA

View Full Version : Project help!

Bullshop Junior
01-06-2007, 08:13 PM
I just got myself a swedish Mauser M96 in 6.5X55 Swede. I am going to sporterize it, by putting it in a synthetic stock, scope,ect. When I got the rifle, the guy (dad) kept the redfield peep sight that was on it, and the original sight is gone. The sight base is still on the barrel though, and I was wondering how it is put on, so I can do away with it. I think that it soldered, but am not sure. One more thing. Does any one have a spare hinged floor plate for the small ring Mauser? It can be from a different mil-surp, like the mexican, and spanish. I will trade for the swede one that I have, or we can make a deal.
Thanks,
Daniel/Bs Jr.

Scrounger
01-06-2007, 08:48 PM
If the sight base is still on the barrel I wonder if you can put one of the Williams peep sights designed for the Swede on it? Or maybe a Mojo sight.

Pepe Ray
01-07-2007, 11:00 PM
1. The original bbl sleeved open sight base is soldered on and tuff to remove. IMO you should'nt try to slide it down the bbl after melting solder. Tricky. Wants to stick as solder cools & messes up bbl surface. If you split the sleeve w/a Dremel, any scratches made will be under fore end. Your choice.
2 To make a real shooter, the hole spacing for the Redfield Rcvr. sight should be perfect for a Lyman or Williams.
3. If your interested in returning it to Milt'y config. I saved the sight ladder, spring etc from 2 M'96's. TTM??

Bullshop Junior
01-10-2007, 01:57 AM
1. The original bbl sleeved open sight base is soldered on and tuff to remove. IMO you should'nt try to slide it down the bbl after melting solder. Tricky. Wants to stick as solder cools & messes up bbl surface. If you split the sleeve w/a Dremel, any scratches made will be under fore end. Your choice.
2 To make a real shooter, the hole spacing for the Redfield Rcvr. sight should be perfect for a Lyman or Williams.
3. If your interested in returning it to Milt'y config. I saved the sight ladder, spring etc from 2 M'96's. TTM??

I was going to take it off, but with your info I decided against it. I am going to sporterize it, and it will have a sporter synthetic stock, and scope, But I am going to leave the sights on, and sighted in, so that if I get in trouble with the scope, I will have the sights, so P.M. sent.
Daniel

Boz330
01-10-2007, 11:57 AM
I have a sporterized Swede and the stock that I got doesn't have provision for a floor plate. I took the sight off of mine but it has been so many years that I don't remember how I got it off. I installed a scout scope on mine with a mount from Brownells that goes where the sight used to be. It is deffinately is a good shooter.

Larry Gibson
01-10-2007, 04:11 PM
I can post some photo's of my sporterized Swede. It is in a glass stock with blind magazine, converted to cock on open, bolt handle forged, D&T'd for reciever sight and scope (one piece Redfield base-not mounted) , another one piece base has been adapted to the original rear sight base and it has a Leupold scout scope mounted, it has a flip up peep sight on the back of the sight base now instead of the reciever sight, and the front sight base has been modified for a M14 front sight. It is a marvelous hunting rifle now.

Larry Gibson

Boz330
01-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Larry, sounds interesting, I'd like to see a pic.

Bob