PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Cast in my 375 H&H

enigma
01-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a few questions for you experienced cast bullet shooters out there!

I just ordered 200 .376 cal FP GC TLG 265gr cast bullets from ( http://www.thebulletbarn.com ) located in British Columbia. Its my first time reloading cast bullets and I intend to shoot them in my Winchester M70 in 375 H&H... When I ordered the bullet, I was told the mold they used for that bullet was a Saeco. The reason behind this order was to shoot as cheap as possible!!!

Here are my questions:

1) I was told that Unique is a good powder for reduced loads in that caliber, is this true?

2) If one was to use Unique, does anyone have some load data for me?

3) Is a filler required with Unique?

4) Is it safe to apply a lite crimp with the Lee Factory crimp die on cast bullets?

The reason I am interested with Unique is that I have 4 pounds of it!!!

Thanks for you replies.

Maurice

AlaskaMike
01-06-2007, 06:32 PM
1) I was told that Unique is a good powder for reduced loads in that caliber, is this true?

2) If one was to use Unique, does anyone have some load data for me?

4) Is it safe to apply a lite crimp with the Lee Factory crimp die on cast bullets?

I'm only just starting out shooting cast in my rifles, and that only being .30-06, so hopefully someone with more experience can correct me if I say anything stupid here.

1) I haven't used unique in my .30-06 cast loads, but I'm sure as long as you stick to published loads you should be fine.

2) As far as load data, I don't know any off the top of my head, but I would certainly recommend getting Lyman's Cast Bullet Manual. The data in it appears to be a little dated now, but that shouldn't be a problem.

3) I don't think a filler would be needed with Unique, but then I don't have any experience shooting it in cast rifle loads.

4) I wouldn't think you'd want a crimp since your model 70 is a bolt action (I've read that lever action loads should be crimped to prevent bullet set-back in the mag tube as the rifle recoils). I haven't crimped any of my .30-06 cast loads that I've shot in my '03A3 and have had very good luck. However, you asked if it was safe, so I guess I should answer that yes, a light crimp should be perfectly safe although in my opinion unnecessary. Unique is a fast powder, and doesn't need a crimp to help ignition like slower powders (speaking solely with regard to handgun loads here). I use IMR-4227, which is slower than Unique, in my .30-06 cast loads and get very good shot to shot consistency without a crimp. I've read posts from longtime members here who use even slower powders with cast rifle loads, like 4895, 4350, and 4831 with no mention of crimping the bullets.

Hope that helps,
Mike

Nardoo
01-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Hi Enigma,

I have used cast bullets for a while in a number of rifles but have only just purchased a.375H&H. It is a Remington XCR. I use it with J-words for hunting Sambar deer here in Australia.

When sighting in on its first outing I also took along 10 cartridges loaded with the 250 gn RCBS FN gc bullets we use in my son's .375 Win Marlin lever. Only WW + 2% Sn air cooled so not really hard. I loaded 45gns of AR 2206H (read H4895) and proceeded to put all ten of them into about 1 1/2" at 60 metres. Velocity was around 1800 fps and leading nil. Have not shot the rifle with cast since but it seems to me it is going to be a shooter. It is certainly going to be easier to work with than my Ruger#1 45/70 which is being difficult to say the least.

I have used Unique and other shotgun and pistol powders with only marginal success in my other rifles. They do not give the accuracy I want at the velocities I like. If you stick around 1000fps I am sure you will have luck. Not sure what charge you will need. If you have no luck give H4895 a try. I am sure I have kept the target in my loading book (you do not get that lucky with every rifle). Will attempt to post it.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p317/nardoo/100_0216.jpg
Nardoo

Paul B
01-06-2007, 06:53 PM
I shoot the RCBS #37-250-FN bullet which casts out at 270 grains in my alloy. it's supposed to be a 250 gr. bullet, probably with linotype as the metal. My Ruger #1H in .375 H&H shoots goups in the 1.5" range with 49.0 of IMR-4895 at 100 yards. I estimate the velocity to be in the 1900-2000 FPS range. No filler used. Recoil is about like a 308 Win. or 30-06 in that 9.5 pound rifle. My bras is neck sized for four loadings, then the necks are annealed and the brass full length resized for load #5. Those cases have been loaded 20 times so far and seem to want to last forever.
Paul B.

SharpsShooter
01-06-2007, 07:44 PM

Thanks for you replies.

Maurice

My Lyman 3rd edition Cast Bullet Manual lists a 269gr GC boolit and Unique as a powder choice using standard rifle primers. According to them no filler is required.

Starting load is 13gr for 1220fps
Max load is 17.5gr for 1460fps

Crimp enough that when cycled through your action that you do not force them back in the case. It usually does not take a great deal.

I shoot a good bit of Unique in 45-70 and 8mm. There are perhaps better choices for both and your 375 could be included in that bunch too, but I do get good results with it in both calibers. Hope it works for you.

SS

wmitty
01-06-2007, 08:08 PM
I've been using the RCBS 37-250-FN in my .375 since about 1980. You can use a fast powder like Unique with castloads but you will be quite limited in the velocity range that is available with cast loads in this case. The RCBS CAST BULLET MANUAL No. 1 lists 16.0 gr. of Unique as producing 1301 fps and 18.0 gr. of the same powder giving 1475 fps with the 37-250-FN. If this velocity range suits your needs, then perhaps loads with Unique are all you will be interested in. If you are interested in higher velocities I recommend IMR 4895: the same manual shows 46.0 gr of this powder producing 1975 fps in the 24" barrel of the Model 70 test rifle. I have had good accuracy with both surplus 4895 and MR 3100 ( which I believe is surplus IMR 4831). Hope you enjoy shooting the cast loads and get into casting your own boolets!

enigma
01-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Thanks to you all for all the great information!!!

Cheers,

Mo

Nrut
01-07-2007, 05:03 PM
enigma...The Lyman Cast Bullet manual that SS mentioned in his post is a must have manual ...the RCBS manual is good also but I believe it is out of print....have fun and report your results...:)

andrew375
01-08-2007, 05:04 AM
I use the NEI .376-280gc in my No.1. 16 grains of green dot or GM3 gives around 1600 fps and consistent sub-moa accuracy. The key component is to use magnum primers. Do not use a filler.

BABore
01-08-2007, 09:24 AM
I shoot the RCBS 37-250 GC, NEI 280 gr GC, and NEI 290 gr GC DD nose out of my Model 70. Best powder I found so far is 5744 with mag primers. Cast from 50/50 WW's and Pb, then OHT, they will all do sub inch. The 280 gr, which drops at around 300 grs., will do well below sub inch out to 300 yds. Velocities are from 1,800 to 2,200 fps. 5744 is kind of touchy on charge weight. It has a very wide charge range, but a 0.25 gr difference can cut groups from 1 1/2" to 1/2". It's real easy to miss the sweet spot. When working with just one bullet, I have found 3-4 sub inch sweet spots over an 8-10 grain min/max working range. AA has data posted.