PDA

View Full Version : Can you safely substitute a lighter bullet ?

watkibe
07-02-2011, 12:54 AM
Let's say I have good data for a 240gr LSWC using Unique in the 44 magnum caliber, but I only have 210 grain cast RNFPs. Is it safe to use the data with the lighter bullet ? Will it generate more or less pressure than the 240 gr load does ?

This IS one of my questions whose answer I am in no doubt about, and I post it just to foster lively debate, and the recounting of experiences so that we all may benefit.

Notice I said "safe", not accurate, faster, more accurate...just safe.

noylj
07-02-2011, 04:50 AM
Any time you can't find any data for the bullet weight you have (can be common with boolits), you can always substitute data for a heavier bullet.
You will get less pressure, but you should still start with the starting load. Also, for cast bullets, a 200gn bullet equals a 205gn bullet, so don't sweat a couple of grains difference.
Also, don't use jacketed data for cast or swaged lead.
Just remember...always start at the starting load and work up, inspecting your cases for pressure signs.

44man
07-02-2011, 07:37 AM
The key is "starting load" for the lighter boolit. When using ball powders, do not load less.

tommygirlMT
07-02-2011, 04:53 PM
With the exception of a few powders in a few situations --- yes

Now for example --- if you were to load a 195 using 240 load data with H110/W296 --- even if you used the max load for the 240 with the 195 you still might be too low for a safe start load since that powder is just about the most tempermental stuff there is for needing exact narrow charge range --- and anything lower or higher can be dangerous --- other ball powders and even a few non ball powders have similar problem but not as bad --- H110/W296 probably not a good idea to go more then about 1/10 reduction in weight difference if even that --- also Reloader 19 for rifles is pretty nasty too as far as misbehaving itself with reduced charges or reduced boolit weight

303Guy
07-02-2011, 05:03 PM
My first thought was "Of course you can!" - it's still early on a Sunday morning here and I've only just had my first cup of coffee! Then I start to engage brain and realise no as stated in posts above. I found that with rifle, some powders do not burn completely with a lighter boolit and this could be dangerous from a SEE aspect. I'm not even talking 'narrow band' powders but simply slow burning powders. I've witnessed 'fizz-bang' ignition with the use of the wrong powder in a rifle. I quietly moved to a safer distance behind the shooter who carried on firing them.:shock:

canyon-ghost
07-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Did the same thing here in 44 Special. Load data for a 245 grain down to 200 grain. I had to drop .2 powder from the Unique, and it worked good. Unique is easy to trade bullets on .

Ron

1Shirt
07-02-2011, 08:14 PM
I think along the line of 303 guy and Tommygirl! It's a yes, possible no, and occaisional maybe. When in doubt follow published load data!
1shirt!:coffee:

c3d4b2
07-02-2011, 10:10 PM
When I started shooting matches I settled on 77 grain bullets for 200 & 300 yards and 80 grain bullets for 600 yards. I had a bit of a surprise when the 80 grain recommended loads were higher than the 77 grain loads. After asking several questions, the reason given was the 80 grain bullets had a smaller bearing surface could be loaded with more powder.

noylj
07-03-2011, 04:09 AM
I don't know where the fear of H110/296 comes from.
You load light because the powder will simply not burn.
You will have a congealed mess of fused powder in the case and barrel.
Of course, if you tried another round with a wad of congealed powder in your barrel, you might have a REAL problem.
Follow the loading warnings for a specific powder and don't brush all other similar powder with the same brush.
My own prejudice is any powder that I can't reduce the charge on or that has less than 1gn between start and MAX is a powder that I avoid, unless there is a REAL overwhelming reason to use it.

tommygirlMT
07-04-2011, 06:26 PM
I don't know where the fear of H110/296 comes from.
You load light because the powder will simply not burn.
You will have a congealed mess of fused powder in the case and barrel.

<snip>

Obviously you have never had a hang fire with the stuff --- fiss --- bang --- and then the brass has to be hammered out of the cylinder with a punch pin and ball ping hammer and if it was a really bad one the brass tears itself apart and leaves a tube chunck stuck in the cylinder which is hell to get out --- been there done that --- I use AA9 or 2400 instead (on either side of H110/W296 via burn rate) and dont have those problems --- fool me once shame on you --- fool me twice shame on me

nanuk
07-05-2011, 08:31 PM
I have always subscribed to a rule I read years ago, I cannot remember where/when/who wrote it...
( I tossed all my old gun magazines years ago [smilie=b: )

you can always safely sub the NEXT Lower weight (I think the writer refered to 10% reduction) bullet of like manufacture using J-words

you can always safely sub cast next lower weight boolits. (Here, I think he talked about up to about 25%)

as I don't handload that much, and am just getting back into it more, I have never thought about going to the extreme as options have always been available.

if someone thinks this is a bad policy, please speak up.