PDA

View Full Version : Shooting GC boolits without GCs?

Gswain
06-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Hello all, I am wondering if anyone has experience with shooting GC designed bullets without the GC? I am specifically looking at the Ranch Dog 460-425 molds, Love the overall design of it, just not a fan of the GC. Wondering what the overall impact would be if anyone has experience with this. Thanks in advance!

John Boy
06-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Shooting heeled bullets designed for GC's without the GC is a factor of pressure and velocity of the round. Example, 22 LR bullets are heeled and they do not have a GC. The velocity can vary between 1080 - 1230 fps. A round much over 1600 fps should have a GC, IMO

mdi
06-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Some folks shoot them w/o a gascheck with no problems, and some report leading and loss of accuracy. If you want a Ranchdog mold without a gascheck contact Ranchdog and see how much extra it costs to provide a mold without a gascheck, I'm sure he will accommodate you...

Gswain
06-29-2011, 10:37 AM
As I understand it, Ranch Dog doesn't manufacture the molds, he buys them through LEE in runs after testing his design with the LEE prototype thing. I believe that it would have to be retooled on the LEE end for a run of non - GC molds, which would be cost prohibitive. Ill still check with him though on that. He did suggest that I ask about other people's experiences with shooting GC bullets without GC's, as he didn't have any experience with it.

I guess if worse comes to worse, ill throw the 4 jaw chuck on the lathe, but id' really rather not, it weighs close to 140 LBS.

Gohon
06-29-2011, 11:32 AM
RD was offering a service where you could order his molds or send in your old one and he would ream 3 of the cavities out to a plain base for a small fee. I saw a post by him a while back where he had discontinued this service because it was to time consuming. Might be that he may resume this service come winter time when he has more time to spend in his work shop and not out enjoying his toys.

44man
06-29-2011, 11:46 AM
This continues to crop up. YES AND NO! You need to try it.
It has nothing to do with velocity but it does with the alloy and boolit design for the twist rate.

Dave B
06-29-2011, 04:31 PM
My RD .460-350 shoots so good without gcs , I quit putting them on.

Bret4207
06-30-2011, 06:58 AM
Hello all, I am wondering if anyone has experience with shooting GC designed bullets without the GC? I am specifically looking at the Ranch Dog 460-425 molds, Love the overall design of it, just not a fan of the GC. Wondering what the overall impact would be if anyone has experience with this. Thanks in advance!

There's a great big whole section down the page labeled GAS CHECKS that is more or less dedicated to this query.

63 Shiloh
06-30-2011, 07:07 AM
My RD .460-350 shoots so good without gcs , I quit putting them on.

That has been my experience too mate.

I have pushed them to 1800fps without a GC and no problems with either accuracy or leading.

Mike

bobthenailer
06-30-2011, 10:31 AM
Every gun is different ! but i regulary shoot my bullets with out the GC installed on at least 4 different bullet designes and 10 different guns with no problems and excellent accuracy up to 1200 fps

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Try it start low and work your way up

that's what i am doing right now with a lee c309-170f i started low and am working up

i did start using grits as a filler so that the gas isn't so much on the base of the boolit but that is probably being overly cautious

i shall stop when accuracy goes sour or i get to 1800fps whichever happens first

but i am finding good reduced loads along the way

Longwood
06-30-2011, 05:06 PM
i did start using grits as a filler so that the gas isn't so much on the base of the boolit

I got a fantastic deal on a RCBS Uniflow measure off of ebay and am using it for Cream of Wheat or grits instead of the plastic fillers that I was using.
Instead of buying an over priced powder measure stand, I bought a Smart loader that I can also use for many other things to use as a measure stand.
The Smart loader, cost less than most people want for a powder measure stand.

geargnasher
06-30-2011, 09:51 PM
Longwood, I agree that's probably the best possible use for a Uniflow. That or a decoy weight.

Here's a good discussion on GC boolits without checks: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=1318574#post1318574

Gear

Longwood
06-30-2011, 10:01 PM
Longwood, I agree that's probably the best possible use for a Uniflow. That or a decoy weight.

Here's a good discussion on GC boolits without checks: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=1318574#post1318574

Gear

I have another that I have been using for over 25 years. I have had real good luck with them and like them just fine.
With the powders I use the accuracy of the loads is dead on the 10th of grain. Good enough for me.
I sold my Lee automatic measure with all of the Mickey Mouse rotors and the so called micro adjust that throws loads all around the desired weight to get the money for it.

rogn
06-30-2011, 11:26 PM
IVE USED THESE GC boolits w/o the GC in rifles with outstanding results, at velocities under 1400fps. No leading clean shooting and good accuracy'. A good example of this use is the CCI Stinger which can run over 1600fps w/ good accuracy in some guns.

MT Gianni
07-01-2011, 02:32 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=48857

XWrench3
07-02-2011, 07:25 AM
i shoot gas check boolits quite often w/o gas checks. you just have to make sure the fit is correct and alloy is soft enough to seal up tight when shooting. i have the 450g also. it shoots quite well in my marlin guide gun. but if i do not get the alloy just right, w/o the checks, i do occasionally get some mild leading of the barrel. i just finished making up about 500 boolits for this. some will be run with (322), and some (218) w/o checks.

rogn
07-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Ive had not problems with leading, and I think the reason is Im using a Lyman 285??? and Im using it as cast from WW w/ a sniff of tin. This measures about 0.287 as cast . Tumble lubing w/LLA finishes the job Velocity runs 1050 up to 1400 fps. Quite good acuracy and no leading. I think the moderate ly low velocity w/ the oversize bullets prevent leading. I may have to boost it up a bit and see how fast it can go.