PDA

View Full Version : New Tunnelpoint Shotgun Slug

ace1001
01-06-2007, 10:36 AM
What if a person were to load a 3/4 inch length of 1/2 inch schedule L rigid copper pipe in a 12gage shotcup. Fits pretty good and I think it would be stabilized by the internal airflow. A heavy bushing would be better. The cookie cutter balistics would be devastating a close range. Anybody tried this? What did you use? Ace

13Echo
01-06-2007, 11:31 AM
Something similar has been tried many times. What you suggest will tumble and have the ballistic coefficient of a spitball. Similar bullets fired out of rifle barrels also are poorly stable and, due to the shockwave at the center hole, have very boor BCs.

Greg5278
01-09-2007, 01:09 PM
I have not tried usoing pipe, and a shotcup, but have machined through drilled solids. The idea was to improve on the Wosenitz VHP slug, whick apparently worked well. So far the accuracy is 1" or les at 50 yards with a rifled barrel for 3 shots. The wall thickness is about .150" per side.
Wads do not work weeel, and do not have the concentricity needed for good stabilization and accuracy.
Greg

versifier
01-09-2007, 02:39 PM
I don't know if this is the same thing you are talking about Greg, but there was a two-piece slug on the market a while back that had basically a piece of pipe with a lead ball in the front of it. The ball stayed in the front during flight. When it hit something, the ball was pushed back in and the "cookie cutter" did its thing. I never tried any, so I don't know either how accurate or how effective they were. It's one of those ideas that sounds really good. I don't remember who made them or if they're still in production. Just one of those strange bits of trivia that come instantly to mind when I couldn't remember for the life of me what I had for breakfast. :mrgreen:

georgeld
02-01-2007, 04:15 AM
A bunch of us numb nut kids filled the front half of 12ga hulls with melted wax and
dropped in a couple glass marbles.

They'd ruin a tie fence post with huge holes in it. Don't recall that we shot any distance with it. That was in the late 50's. But, they sure blew hell out of things up close.

Jim
02-17-2007, 11:38 PM
Buy a few 1/2" copper solder joint caps from the hardware store. Put 'em on a flat heat resistant surface( I use the anvil face on my vise). Flux the inside and fill 'em full of solder with a plumber's torch. Dump the buckshot out of a 12 ga. shell and tuck that boy down in there over the cardboard wad. Makes a God awful full metal jacket slug at close range!:roll:

lar45
02-18-2007, 12:43 AM
I've been thinking about shooting empty 45acp cases out of the 475 Linebaugh or 470NE. An empty case weighs about 87gns. Looking at quickload you might be able to get them well over 2000fps from a pistol barrel.