PDA

View Full Version : Backwards N

odinohi
07-01-2011, 05:00 AM
Are the Lyman cast iron ingot molds with the backwards N rare? I purchased 6 Lyman ingot molds and two of them have the backwards N. It took me a few small smelt jobs before I noticed it. Are the valuable?

Catshooter
07-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Rare? I would think so as it's a factory mistake.

Valuable? Well, I've seen them go on ebay for stupid money so I suppose so.

Cat

geargnasher
07-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Rare, Vintage, or Collectable are magic words on Fleabay. There was a discussion on this a few years ago, a search might yield some answers as to true value.

Gear

07-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Yep, I remember the discussion. Some of the replies were quite humorous.

Springfield
07-01-2011, 11:21 PM
I've got one of those rare ingot moulds, sell it to the first guy with 50 bucks.

D Crockett
07-02-2011, 01:28 PM
there was a guy on fleebay that bought a ingot a 1 lb ingot for some god alful amount of money the seller had put it in a bucket of water and it turned black I think I know of at least 5 people that have them they are pirty common D Crockett

Cherokee
07-02-2011, 10:59 PM
All 4 of my Lyman ingot moulds are like that. Bought them many years ago. I'll gladly part with them for $50 each! IOW, not rare.

odinohi
07-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks guys. Got it, not rare. But still pretty cool!

walltube
07-03-2011, 03:23 AM
You have no idea. It is not a "backwards" N, it is a Cyrillic cypher. This controversy has raged from the days at Shooters.com till today. Lucky for me I've stayed clear of all that.

Legend tells us these ingot moulds were produced under licence for Czarist Russia Archduke Ivan Ivanovich Lefkowicz. Some moulds made it to Russia, some did not. Moulds with a left facing "M" or "Y' are highly prized items amongst knowing afficiandos. An Israeli museum has a speciman featuring the coveted inverted "L".

I'm going to bed, you guys deal with it.

07-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Yippee, the thread, finally, takes a serious and informative turn.

Being left-handed, I've learned to cope fairly well, in the right-handed world. In fact, there a few things that I do better with my right hand, such as using a scissors, a tape measure, and a mouse.

Lyman, much to their credit, has made it somewhat easy for me to pour ingots, by their use of the left facing "M" and "Y". However, if I had an ingot mould with the left facing "N", the process would be absolutely effortless.

As to the above mentioned legend: It would have been better had Archduke Lefkowics waited till Fred Huntington founded RCBS, as the Cyrillic "R" and "B" would have been easier for Russian casters to read. Fate -- the fickle Muse that she is -- intervined, instead, and Mr. Lenin was not interesting in having the populace, particularily any of the royalty, continuing to cast their own boolits. Imagine how cool a Cyrillic Lenin ingot mould would have looked.

walltube
07-10-2011, 06:59 PM
A belated "Thank You", to you 462, for considering my post as:".... a serious and informative turn". At least I think you're reffering to my post, aren't you?

Anonymous official scources say Archduke Lefkowicz could not wait for Fred to establish his legendary RCBS. The Archduke was but one half step ahead of the death squad that annihillated the Royal Family of Russia. He made good his escape to Palestine carrying a few Lyman contract moulds with him. Hence the inverted "L" mould now, reportedly, in Israel. Lefkowicz, were he around today, would be very pleased to know that you are enjoying your reverse "Y" and "M" series moulds.

Lenin era moulds may have been "CCCP" production logo rather than "Lyma?". Production details died with Trotsky in Mexico. According to experts.

Yours to the last Zinc Free WW,
Wt.

07-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Walltube
Thanks for the update. I was not aware of the archduke's hasty, but successful exit. If he was as influential in the future Israel, as he was in the old Mother Russia, it could go a long way in explaining the development of IMI. Imagine how cool an upside-down IMI ingot mould would be.

(Slight drift: I have some Garand en-bloc clips that were produced by IMI. At first, I thought they were made by the multi-national IWI -- Innner Wisconsin Industries. It wasn't till I'd loaded about 50 of them, that I realized my mistake. I had to disassemble the lot, turn the clips 180-degrees, and reload them. Luck was on my side and I hadn't shot any of them. Had I, who knows what may have happened.)

A Cyrillic "Lenin" mould would have had two backwards Ns. The "CCCP" mould would not have been available till the post WW II, imperialistic, and lead-fisted era of FDR's good buddy, Uncle Joe. I've no doubt that the experts you refer to are communists, thus prone to dis-information. Trust but verification is key, when dealing with them.

bhn22
07-10-2011, 09:44 PM
I've got one of those rare ingot moulds, sell it to the first guy with 50 bucks.

Somebody better buy it, I want twice that for mine

9.3X62AL
07-10-2011, 11:18 PM
NYET-- all is revisionist raving of Americanski corporate running dogs.

English "backwards 'N'" is actually Cyrillic equivalent of your letter "I". Is to commemorate great founder of Soviet state Ilyich Ulyanov Lenin. Ingot moulds our way of letting America know we are everywhere, and watching everything.

/s/

Red Diaper Doper Baby

walltube
07-11-2011, 12:40 AM
I am very good at up-dates. They may be inaccurate and out of date, but I never allow them to go to waste.

Cool thing about "IMI" is, Hebrew is read from right to left....so no matter the orientation, left or right, it'll be IMI.... :lol: I can't imagine the confusion with an "IMI" logo on a mould. Archie opened a bakery shop in the Old City. From lead moulds to bread mold. He passed into peacefull obscurity.

I, too, occasionally drift off.....
Fortune was on your side. Too scary to think about. I mean, being 180 degrees, Whew!. All the en blocs I have are imported exclusively from Greece and South Korea. None of that multi-national IWI nonsense for me. "IWI", eh? Almost New Zealandic! Wonder what's up with that?

Cyrillic alphabet? Too many to think about, like maybe thirty cyphers? Would not CCCP have been official before Georgia Joe's rise to power? Frank, Joe, Benny, Francisco, 'Dolphie; always the "Social" types, weren't they? All my sources are expert(s). Official(s) too. They are quoted worldwide on CNN, MSNBC, AP. Expert this, expert that. This official said that, that official said this. All cast from the same mould (on topic). :lol:

And so, you Lyman mould guys going to sell your rare and undocumented Lyma(*) moulds here at C.B.? A benefit auction at those asking prices? For Ken maybe?

Buy Pb from CB vendors,
Wt. ;)