PDA

View Full Version : Lead Shot Making??

Lizard333
06-30-2011, 11:19 AM
Does anyone make their own shot?? I have done some research but it apears the onlu manufacture is the littleton, and I really don't feel like spending 400$ on a shotmaker. Does anyone have a homemade version? I just can't see spending 45 bucks on a 25 pound bag of shot when I have plent of WW's at home that would make great shot. Also, if someone here does make their own shot, I would be willing to trade WW's for shot. I'm not the picky type either. This shot maker doesn't have to be perfect, I just want something that will break some clays. Something around 8 would be great. Any help would be great!!

hotrod13
06-30-2011, 02:03 PM
I bought the littleton shot maker and have made about 800 pounds of shot with it, it works real well. I was in your situation on shot being $45 a bag and I had a bunch of lead (about 3000 pounds). As for making your own shot maker there was a link on shotgunworld.com with a guy who made one, you might want to check it out. The main problem that people have with them is that they drop the shot too high, it only needs to be dropped about 1/4 of a inch or so into the liquid below. I use wisk laundry detergent with some distilled water. Shot comes out a little out of round, but it works just fine, and kills just fine. Once the shot maker is heated up I can make about 60 to 70 pounds a hour.

Rod

JeffinNZ
06-30-2011, 06:22 PM
I have a domestic, single nozzle version. It is a lot slower than the Lyttelton but works great. Drop 1/4 inch into antifreeze. I shoot very well with it. I can miss just as many clays with my homemade shot as using commercial loads.....

grubbylabs
06-30-2011, 11:34 PM
I could have sworn I have seen molds for shot?

DWM
07-01-2011, 06:23 AM
Do a search on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M1Ghk31WFM

Bret4207
07-01-2011, 06:27 AM
I bet if you look in the "CASTING FOR SHOTGUNS" section down the page you'll find more info.

gmsharps
07-01-2011, 06:31 AM
Take a look at the bettershot maker http://www.thebettershotmaker.org/

It's a bit pricey but US made and articles in shotgun world speak highly of him. I believe the things to consider are how much shot do you need per year and how good in quality does it need to be. I've seen where people have made there own and they have worked well. depends on do you have the time and are handy enough.

GM