PDA

View Full Version : filler?

camaro1st
06-29-2011, 10:07 PM
i have read about people using filler, i dont understand when we should use it and why. i have had factory loads that you can hear the powder in mostly in 30-06. can someone shed some muzzle flash on this for me?

legi0n
06-29-2011, 11:45 PM
there are 3 reasons I know of to use filler for small powder charges:
1 some powders, when used in large cases burn differently when ignited next to the primer than when ignited next to the bullet.
2. some powders when used in large cases and happen to lay horizontally along the case wall may behave like shaped charges and create a spike of pressure.
3. powder being ground into finer particles from the rubbing will burn faster (even though a guy tried it in a tumbler and was not able to notice any differences.) Maybe some powders are more susceptible to grinding.

geargnasher
06-30-2011, 12:38 AM
There's a great sticky on it somewhere, basically a good discussion of Dacron.

Gear

1Shirt
06-30-2011, 10:47 AM
I use fillers with some ctgs when after testing with and without I get better accuracy with. Most of the time I have found that I get better accuracy with. It is an extra step, but for accuracy sake it is worth the effort. I don't use fillers for fast pistol/shotgun powders, but I do weigh all finished cases for consistancy of weight to avoid double charges. I start filler comparisons with 2400. Hope this helps.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Larry Gibson
06-30-2011, 11:52 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=109280

This is the "sticky" on fillers mentioned. Myself and others give the why, when and how of our use of fillers.

Larry Gibson

camaro1st
06-30-2011, 09:23 PM
thanks guys

303Guy
07-01-2011, 06:20 AM
... may behave like shaped charges and create a spike of pressure.SEE (Secondary Explosion Effect) may be a separate issue in which case it's a fourth reason to use filler.

There is a fifth reason too - to form a wad behind the boolit. (Be careful of this one with bottle neck cartridges, especially those with sharp shoulder angles).

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-01-2011, 10:08 AM
MY theory is you use filler when you load up 2 batches one with and one without and you can tell the difference in accuracy

or legions 3 reasons

i am using a filler currently in my reduced loads trying to see how far i can go without a gas check before accuracy degrades or i start leading plan is to stop at aprox 1800 fps either way

so i am using it for 303 guys 5th reason, and legions first , i am using grits i weigh it an add it to the weight of my boolit but since they are reduced loads i am very safe on pressure

i fully plan to remove the grits for a test run once i find the load i like to compare accuracy , if burn and accuracy are fine then i will leave it out

frkelly74
07-01-2011, 11:53 AM
I, under the guidance of Larry Gibson, put filler in some loads that were giving vertical stringing and erratic functioning in my Garand. I was using Accurate 2520 powder in a reduced charge and 155 gr cast boolits. Both problems disappeared immediately , pressure was still moderate according to the appearance of the primers, and I didn't have to bump the butt on the ground to rearrange the powder charge any more.

Jim
07-01-2011, 12:08 PM
An article on Kapok. (http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/HowTo/Kapok.pdf)

1Shirt
07-05-2011, 08:19 AM
I now use dac fill only. In times past, I tried COW filler (or grits, or corn meal-whatever) but only for straight cases like 45-70 and 444. They worked fine for that, but are much more messy than dac and for getting the right amount for seating without over compression.
1Shirt!:coffee:

bowenrd
07-05-2011, 06:18 PM
I tried using filler once in a 300 WM with SR 4759. The group was all over the place. Never used filler again. By the way it will shoot 3/4 MOA with out filler.