PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Pour Pots.

kodiak1
01-05-2007, 11:11 PM
[smilie=1: Okay the Group Buy Forum has sent me into a tizzy! Got 3 now with 1 more for sure and probably a few more 6 barrel moulds that cast beautiful bullets.
My dilema is with my old 10# Lee Pot it don't take but about five minutes and that pot is empty, (the pile of bullets go up leaps and bounds).
Sooooo I have been scouting large bottom pour pots Lee, Lyman, RCBS and Magma's. As you all know the most of them are 20#er's give or take a pound or two but that Magme 90# for a few dollars more really caught my eye.

Anyone here had a chance to use one of these big bad boys? If so tell the good, the bad and the ugly on it. Throw in a few pointers of what you have or what you would buy.

My other option is to build something and design a good valve system on it.

Good Casting Ken. :castmine:

robertbank
01-05-2007, 11:45 PM
Here is my range report on the RCBS Pro Melter:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=10689

Very happy with it. Best price I could get was from Graf & Sons out of Texas and they ship to Canada. Saved at least $100 by ordering from them as opposed to buying in Canada.

Take Care

Bob

AnthonyB
01-06-2007, 06:52 AM
I have one of the Magma 90 lb. pots but have only used it once or twice. It came to me as a package deal shared with another poster, and had been used to feed a Master Caster in long production runs. It is an outstanding pot and I highly recommend it. I'll have a 220 receptacle installed in the garage soon and will make far more use of it then. Tony

LAH
01-08-2007, 08:50 AM
I've never used the 90 pounder but if it's anything like their 40 pounders you will be happy...........Creeker

44woody
01-08-2007, 12:07 PM
I have 2 of the 40 lb pots one on a master caster and one on a home made stand imho they are one of the best pots to work with I would recomend them to anybody to use while casting you can add a 5 lb ingot to it and not have it freeze up on you like some of the other pots out there do another thing a 40 lb pot runs on 110v and a 90 runs on 210v hope this helps :castmine: 44Woody

kodiak1
01-08-2007, 08:51 PM
Yes I was told that and I figured what the heck go with the 220 Volt cuts tha amp draw in half and should heat faster and more efficient.
Ken

georgeld
01-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Ken:

I made a raw scrap melting pot that holds a bunch, some over 200#.
Copied near as I could the design of Lee's pin valve.
Has a 1/2" outlet tube.

Trouble with this is the weight of the lead makes a whole lot of pressure on the flow. The more lead the harder it flies out of there.

Can't pour into ingot molds direct, it richochette's out just like a high pressure water hose, nothing stays in the mold.
I've got a 10# ladle to catch it in, then pour from that. Makes it work out fine, but, one extra step in the process.

Like they say: "watch for what you ask for" sure applies to this setup.
Whether the factory rig is any different, you'll just have to learn.

Wanted you to know this and beware of it. I was sure glad it bounced in another direction the first time. Could have been a nasty, massive burn if it had come at me.

Good luck, and let us know what you find and how it works out.

Mr Peabody
01-13-2007, 12:55 AM
I'd vote for the biggest one you can afford.
You don't have to fill it full to try out an alloy.
If it's an alloy you know and like there's alot to be said in favor of not changing anything during the pour.

Dale53
01-13-2007, 01:48 AM
I suggest you get a 20 lb pot (I have a couple of RCBS's but I would certainly try a Lee PRO 20 lb pot if something happened to my present pots). I have a number of friends who are VERY happy with the Lee pots.

I can only cast two or three hours before tiring (after all I am a terribly old man:mrgreen:) and 20 lb capacity is enough for me. When running lots of big bullets, I have a Saeco dip pot (20 lbs) that I can be alloying then transfer to my primary pot and continue to cast without stopping and waiting for the alloy to melt.

Dale53

BigSlick
01-13-2007, 02:13 AM
I have recently broken in my first Lee 4-20.

So far, it's excellent.

As soon as the freezing rain stops, I am going to run it again, and break out the second 4-20 I got for cheap at the Tulsa show.

I figure Let one pot get hot, and while running it, let the second 4-20 be warming up ready to go. When I run out of alloy in the first, the second pot is already hot and ready to go.

The idea is refill one and let it come to temp while casting out of the other one.

I got both 4-20's for a grand total of $111 on my doorstep. The first was $53 plus shipping, the second I picked up in Tulsa for $50 out the door.

Both combined for less than half the cost of the Lyman or RCBS pots.

A really good friend of mine has the RCBS Pro Melt. It is top quality in every respect and actually holds closer to 20 lbs. The Lee pots seem to hold 17-18 before I get a little skiddish about them being too full.

No leaks so far from either 4-20. I won't be suprised if they start, but for the bucks they'll do for my needs.

FWIW,

'Slick
________
Squirting Lesbian (http://www.****tube.com/categories/1006/lesbian/videos/1)

Lee W
01-13-2007, 07:33 AM
I have the 40# pot and it is 220. There is an option for 110, you just need to ask.
I am not sure the 90# has the double pour spout like the 40#er.

IcerUSA
01-13-2007, 11:20 AM
I like my Lee 4-20 pot so far, still working on ingot size for the pot, trying to get a size that melts fast and keeps the temp close enough to cast continuasly, just did 1500 124gn RN for the 9mm couple nights ago with very little wait between ingot adds. Going to check out one of those corn stick pans from evilBay for ingots and see if they melt fast and keep the temp usable for a long run as soon as it gets here and I get some more WW :)

LAH
01-13-2007, 12:07 PM
I have the 40# pot and it is 220. There is an option for 110, you just need to ask.
I am not sure the 90# has the double pour spout like the 40#er.

If memory serves the 90 pounder has interchangable pour spouts. It uses the same spouts as the Master Pot or Master Caster........Creeker

AnthonyB
01-13-2007, 12:43 PM
I know the 90 lb. pot can use the double spout, but don't believe it is standard issue. Magma makes and sells different sized spouts. I called to ask about a smaller one when I first used my pot, but they wanted a ridiculous price - something like $50. Tony

Springfield
01-13-2007, 02:55 PM
I thought about the Magma 40# pot to replace my 17# LEE's but got a great deal on a 220 RCBS(100.00) and it is way better than the LEE's. Actually holds 22#. But I still use the LEE to melt lead to put into the RCBS, I can still outrun the pot with 6 ganger moulds. If I ever get some extra money that I don't need for anything else(fat chance) , I might spring for one of the Magma pots. 40 pounds would be nice, I usually cast 2-3 thousand at a time. I already have the bullet feeder for my Star sizer,and just bought the air feed, so maybe a new pot will be next. Wouldn't mind running into a deal on a used Magma 40 pound pot. I can dream, I guess.

kodiak1
01-13-2007, 08:01 PM
The 90#er comes with an assortment of spouts according to the email from Magma.
2- 20#ers would work good to but then do you use two different pluggins to power them so you don't over load one circuit?
Thanks Ken.

TasunkaWitko
01-15-2007, 11:44 PM
kodiak -

if your old lee pot needs a home, PM me and maybe we can make a deal. my kids and i are looking to start casting (i started learning about 2 years ago, but had to quit when we moved. bought my own home now and can cast whenever i want!) and that pot would probably be perfect for my limited use and experience.

Dale53
01-16-2007, 01:23 AM
Kodiak1;
Good comment about two pots requiring two separate circuits for safe and proper use (plugging two pots in the same outlet could blow the fuses, overload it, etc). When I had my utility barn built with a dedicated casting station, I had two separate circuits installed so I can run two pots without ANY problems.

In the past, I was able to run two pots on a 20 amp circuit but that is not always the case. So, when I had an easy opportunity, I did the "right" thing and had two circuits installed. I also had a 220 Volt line run for a possible welder and a separate one for my electric, wall mounted, space heater that keeps things toasty in the winter.

Dale53

spottedpony
01-16-2007, 11:34 PM
Kodiak1;
Good comment about two pots requiring two separate circuits for safe and proper use (plugging two pots in the same outlet could blow the fuses, overload it, etc). When I had my utility barn built with a dedicated casting station, I had two separate circuits installed so I can run two pots without ANY problems.

In the past, I was able to run two pots on a 20 amp circuit but that is not always the case. So, when I had an easy opportunity, I did the "right" thing and had two circuits installed. I also had a 220 Volt line run for a possible welder and a separate one for my electric, wall mounted, space heater that keeps things toasty in the winter.

Dale53

The proper way to calculate a circuit load is watts/volts=amps so a 1200 amp @120 volt load is 1200/120=10 amp draw and therefor at 240 volts you'd have a 5 amp draw and so on. (change the amp draw in the formula to the listed amps on the appliance of course) and for proper calculations, use 120/240 volts as this is the standard voltage ratings (single phase) used in the industry.
Note though, breaker and fuse ratings are somewhat misleading, as a derate factor has to be applied, at 80% of the fused rateing, thus a 20 amp circuit is really only good for 16 amps, or a 15 amp circuit/12 amps at any voltage.
dont forget to take into consideration any loads on an existing circuit. in other words if that old freezer in the garage pulls 10 amps, adding a 1500 watt (12.5 amp) load is going to trip a breaker.

Hope this helps

LAH
01-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Welcome to the board spottedpony........Creeker

ELFEGO BACA
01-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Years ago I had a Lee Production Pot. It worked great even with my first 6 cavity Lee mold but it drained the pot fast.

I then got a old beat up Saeco 20 lb bottom pot with an old Hensley and Gibbs 6 cavity mold. They both stayed with me for a few years.

I replaced it with a Lyman 20lb one that I got on a 'gun' trade. I still use it. About once a year I need to replace the cord. The contacts 'burn out' at the pot.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Hey, sounds like we got an electrician on board. Welcome to the board spottedpony.

Regards,

Dave

cbrick
01-17-2007, 07:54 PM
My Magma 40# pot was hardly up to casting temp the first time before I couldn't believe I had ever used anything else.

A point that I didn't see mentioned in this thread is the value of 40 pounds of alloy at a time that is all the same. You can pour 20 pounds or so into ingots and add another 20 pounds to the pot. By recycling some of the already poured ingots back in you can blend several hundred pounds of alloy that is all of the same lot. If your looking for consistency in your alloy this is the way to go.

Rick

kodiak1
01-17-2007, 10:19 PM
cbrick that is a good point that I hadn't even considered yet. I got nothing against the little lee it just empties out to fast. Sooooo if you are going to replace my theory is going big go bigger. Also 20, 40 or 90 pounds of all the same mix well there has to be something to say about that.
Thanks for the input and advice guys.
Ken.

spottedpony
01-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Hey, sounds like we got an electrician on board. Welcome to the board spottedpony.

Regards,

Dave

Ive been called that, (among other things lol) but yes, ive been in the trade for over 20 years.

In addition to my previous post regarding circuit calculations, as an addendum, assuming a clean circuit, (no other load applied) any wattage combination not to exceed 1920 watts @ 120 volts can be used on a 20 amp circuit, though occasionally i've seen 20 amp breakers on the sensitive side that would trip at a max load. Generally speaking though one could run 2-700 watt pots + a 500 with no problems. Bear in mind in cases of GFCI protection, most installed devices are 15 amp, and may result in nucense trips due to this limitation. inadiquate extension cords can cause problems too

Sorry for the slow reply, i sort of lost track of this thread, & thanks to all for the welcome.

9.3X62AL
01-26-2007, 11:06 AM
That Magma 40#'er sounds intriguing.....but I'm pretty happy with the RCBS furnace I have. One interesting factoid about them--Art Green, a metals dealer in L.A. that I've done business with, has several of these furnaces in his office/shop. He regards them highly, stating they are "impossible to break".

Slick's two-pot idea is a pretty good one, but much of my casting involves smaller boolits (75-150 grains) that don't empty out the pot as fast as do the 45-70 and 500 S&W slugs. I do have an old 10# Lee that could be pressed into service while the RCBS re-heats. I'll tell ya--casting up a 1# coffee can full of 95 grain 243 boolits or 72 grain 25-20 slugs with two-holers will take up an afternoon or two--and the breaks while the pot re-heats are a welcome respite.

LAH
01-27-2007, 10:11 AM
1# coffee can full of 95 grain 243 boolits or 72 grain 25-20 slugs with two-holers will take up an afternoon or two

Those who cast small bullets are a different breed..........Creeker

robertbank
01-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Other than my 9MM and .45acp mold all the rest are either one or two holers. I get around the time factor by always casting one of my rifle/revolver boolits when I am doing the 9 or .45. That way I am always accumulating boolits of different calibers whilst casting my volume rounds.

Take Care

Bob