PDA

View Full Version : future invention

bryonbush
06-29-2011, 01:57 AM
ive got an idea on a very easy automated boolit sizer. the thing is i dont even have one yet. if someone could give me the following specs it would be awesome

force ( in pounds) needed to push the bullet through the sizer.
stroke length: how far the shaft pushes the bullet into the sizer.
if this is a LEE sizer die or if its on a RCBS or similiar set up.

i know this is an odd thing but if anyone could help me that would be great.

also, if finding this information is too much work. ill be more than happy to buy your lube/sizer off you because i cant find a used one thats not worth just spening a few more bucks and buying a new one.:drinks:

btroj
06-29-2011, 08:21 AM
The force required is dependent on many factors. Bullet diameter, allot, was bullet heat treated, bullet age, start vs final diameter, is bullet lubed? These are a few of the possible factors which make a "set" number impossible to agree upon. My arm tells me that some bullets take lots more force to size than others. Sadly, my arm isn't very well calibrated. It only measures in units called "grunts". I avoid sizing bullets that takes more than 3 grunts of sizing force.

Wayne Smith
06-29-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm guessing he wants maximum force likely to be applied, not actual.

bryonbush
06-29-2011, 12:00 PM
well, if i remember right. in my cave man math class each grunt was equal to 60lbs of force. yes, max force likley to be applied is what i was looking for. i have parts from a past project and i want to see if it would work with a sizing bullets. its a pneumatic cylinder that actuates the ram which is controlled by a foot valve. all you have to do is place a bullet on the ram and press your foot down. i hooked it up to my lee single stage and was able to seat bullets with it. worked great. but the cylinder i had wasnt strong enough to do anything else. if i can get some ballpark numbers on the force needed, i will know what size of cylinder to buy in order to have enough force to push the bullet through the sizer.

Wayne Smith
06-29-2011, 01:21 PM
well, if i remember right. in my cave man math class each grunt was equal to 60lbs of force.

In my experience that's a decreasing function! Sorry I can't help you more, I've never measured it, just did it.

How much effort does it take to size say, linotype, in .002" increments? This in a standard Lyman/RCBS sizing die. Anybody able to measure this?

nanuk
06-29-2011, 01:42 PM
just get BIG one and regulate the pressure until you get it working

btroj
06-29-2011, 11:22 PM
I am guessing that you could use a large spring scale, like a fishing scale, to pull down the handle when sizing a bullet to get a rough estimate. if I had one I would try it.
I don't even know how to begin estimating the pressure required.

snuffy
07-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Calculating the force required to size a boolit would require some complicated, (for me anyway), math. You have to realize the leverage of, say my Lyman 450, looks to be around 3 to 1. If you apply 60 pounds of force to the handle, it's multiplied by a simple factor of 3 times 60. IOW, you're pushing down with 180 pounds of force.

Then, you will need to figure out what force your air cylinder is putting out at whatever pressure you apply to it. That's a simple formula of area of the piston times air pressure.

Since the 450 and RCBS have to have the ram returned to the up position, you'll need another cylinder underneath the die to push the boolit back up. OR a double acting cylinder to put up force on the linkage.

Off hand I'd say a solution to an non-exiting problem. While sizing on my Lyman 450 is hardly fun, it's NOT hard work either. Just boring and time consuming. I doubt pressing a button to activate an air cylinder is going to save much time. If it activates fast enough, you're going to have some chunks removed from finger tips and or crushed boolits.

edsmith
07-06-2011, 01:43 PM
I think he is talking about a auto sizer, one with a boolit feeder. he wants to take the bordom out of it, sounds like a really good idea.:drinks:

twotoescharlie
07-06-2011, 01:49 PM
an old wood splitter would probably have enough pressure in both directions. just kidding!!!

TTC

Chicken Thief
07-06-2011, 02:05 PM
As for a Lee sizer the solution is simple:

1) Get a bathroom scale.
2) Get a jack.
3) Get a piece of something that extends from the top of the jack sitting on the scale to the bottom of the press center pin.

Work jack and observe scale.