PDA

View Full Version : Casting Boolits (Bullets) With A Hot Pot 2

maglvr
06-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Hi Folks:
About a month back I decided it was time to give casting a try.
However, I wanted something small as I doubt I will ever need more than 200-300 at a time.
I had always thought the Hot Pot's aka. electric ladle were a neat idea, and darned easy to store as well as use, well I Googled "Hot pot bullet casting" and drew a total blank, I decided to bite the boolit and just order one and see what it was all about.
For anyone considering one, but not sure if it will work out well, let me say this "I have NEVER been happier with any product I have ever purchased!!
Like the ads say, it will hold 4lbs. of lead, however, 3 lbs. makes it easier to hit the little hole on the first few pours. Years ago the original Hot Pots were 400 watt, the Hot Pot 2 is now 500 watts and in my experience it will go from cold to 3lbs ready to pour in about 10 minutes.
After initial warmup it is much faster naturally, and easy to keep filled and ready to pour.
With my Lee 2 cavity TL 158 358 mold I can drop out 200 boolits in no time.
For the whopping sum of $42.80 delivered to my door, I feel it is a EXCELLENT tool as well as a heck of a bargain! It does everything I need and faster than I had hoped for.
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd325/maglvr/casting.jpg
Thanks Hot Pot folks for a great MADE IN USA product!!!
maglvr

cbrick
06-29-2011, 12:53 AM
maglvr, welcome to Castboolits,

Thanks for posting that, I have never seen one of those before. Interesting, an electric ladle.

You might want to post where you got it, others may find it interesting also.

Rick

geargnasher
06-29-2011, 01:28 AM
That's pretty neat! I've never seen one of those either. Nice boolits, by the way, quite an endorsement of the product.

Gear

PS just noticed the hip waders, good way to keep the lead out of your boots.

maglvr
06-29-2011, 02:26 AM
Thanks for the welcome and compliments!
It is indeed quite the item! Could not be better fitted to my needs and is built like a tank!
The cheapest I was able to find it was here(where I bought mine) http://www.barlowstackle.com/Palmer-Lead-Melting-Hot-Pot-2-P352C62.aspx
I have no idea how they did it but I ordered on a Friday night and it was in my mailbox on Monday afternoon! Opposite sides of the country to boot!
Here is the factory website, http://www.cpalmermfg.com/hotpots/hotpot2image.html
I forgot to mention the burner(coil) is also sold seperately should you ever need one.
If you guys decide to try one, please post how you like it.
maglvr
P.S.
Hard to believe in the year 2011 you can buy something made here in the good ole U.S.A., and have it delivered to your door for under 50 bucks, and get a top quality product, made like things used to be years ago!
Palmer Mfg. should be proud!!!

MikeS
06-29-2011, 03:45 AM
Bass Pro Shops also has them. But you have to look in the fishing dept, not the gun dept. When I first started casting, before I had bought any pots I considered one of these. I just thought 4lbs was a bit small, but at the time I hadn't thought of actually using it as a ladle, more as using it as a small pot, and using a Lyman ladle, which is why I thought it was too small. Might be a nice option to have around for when you just want to cast a small number of boolits, rather than firing up a 10 or 20lb pot!

Mk42gunner
06-29-2011, 07:02 AM
Hey if it works for you, and it obviously does, good job.

With tumble lube boolits you can be casting with NEW equipment for less than $65.00. I am impressed.

Robert

btroj
06-29-2011, 08:18 AM
That might be just the ticket for those times when you want to try a special alloy without draining the whole pot.

Wayne Smith
06-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Wonderful idea for casting two alloy boolits. Melt the pure in that and pour it first. Only use a little. Have to make a small ladle anyway to measure the amount, though.

Catshooter
06-29-2011, 06:48 PM
That is very cool, thank you.

Cat

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Yes,
I could see a use for that with a small run of boolits in a different alloy.

Is there any adjustable heat control ?
or just one permenant heat setting ?
or is it just always on ?
Jon

maglvr
06-29-2011, 10:54 PM
When it is plugged in it is on. it always seems to be perfect temp to me.

nanuk
06-30-2011, 01:58 AM
a friends Dad has a couple for sale to me cheap.........

Now that I've seen them in action, I may just have to grab them. they would have numerous uses

maglvr
06-30-2011, 04:52 AM
a friends Dad has a couple for sale to me cheap.........

Now that I've seen them in action, I may just have to grab them. they would have numerous uses

JUMP on them!! you won't be sorry ;)

LEADHOPPER
06-30-2011, 05:48 AM
I have one of those, bought it when I first got into casting my own fishing sinkers. The only problem I have had with mine is I burned the rivets and little knobs off the stand that came with it. But then again I used to pour so many sinkers it ain't funny. There is no temp setting, I've always just kept an eye of the temp and when it got to temp started pouring. I believe that I also bought mine from Barlow's. It's amazing how fast they get orders to you.

357shooter
06-30-2011, 07:06 AM
Great idea and find. Very creative too.

maglvr
06-30-2011, 07:46 AM
"I believe that I also bought mine from Barlow's. It's amazing how fast they get orders to you."

I never saw anything like it!!

ChuckJaxFL
07-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Hrmmm...

Looks like a good way to pre-melt ingots to resupply your casting pot without pulling the temp down.

tonyjones
07-03-2011, 04:04 PM
I have seen these in Cabelas' catalogs. They are usually in the fishing tackle section or with the duck decoy anchor moulds. I have thought about getting one to cast soft noses for two alloy bullets. Some mould makers (LBT, Accurate, others?) will make a companion mould to pour an identical nose section for some of their moulds.

Regards,

Tony

bhn22
07-03-2011, 08:19 PM
LEE Precision Melters are cheaper, but you'd need a ladle to use one.

maglvr
07-04-2011, 02:44 AM
LEE Precision Melters are cheaper, but you'd need a ladle to use one.

I like the simplicity of it, plug it in and go, no ladle to mess with. I'm sure it's not for everybody, but I wouldn't care to be without mine ;)

diehard
07-04-2011, 06:49 AM
Nice write up and good info. I have a friend that has used one of those things for casting fishing sinkers for years. He swears by his, as well.

I think you may have sold a few more today. :)

Happy 4th of July ( now this is a real holiday!!!)!

Laurel

PS. God Bless all of those of you out there that continue to work, have worked, or have paid the price for working to stave off those "long train of abuses." The Declaration of Independence could have been written simply as " We Quit!" Instead, it laid the foundation for a free society, and inspired thousands ( in fact many hundreds of thousands by now) to shed their blood for both the wisdom and the ideals it contains. Read it today to your kids (or the neighbor's kids) so they don't forget!

Live Free or die!
Laurel