PDA

View Full Version : Front Sight training -- how about them?

patsher
06-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Has anyone here been to their training? This is the outfit in Pahrumph, Nevada. Are they for real? Is the training really as good as they make it sound? Are there hidden costs in going down there?

Pat

scrapcan
06-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Pat

One of my coworkers went down a short time ago. If you are interested I can give you his email or phone numbers. I am sure he would be glad to talk to you.

PM on the way.

Mal Paso
06-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Some of our local club members are very enthusiastic (lsssa.org) and had a club trip last April. It's on my list when I can make the time.

Ranch Dog
06-28-2011, 06:09 PM
I attend on a semi-annual basis. I feel Front Sight has made me one heck of a concealed carry shooter. I have nothing but good to say concerning the training, instructors, and facility. The big dog is a bit of a snake oil salesman type but he is actually selling and maintaining a great product.

No matter when I've attended, there has been at least 450 shooters and I've seen as many as 750 shooters there on a weekend. Everyone is there for one thing, learning to be a very skilled concealed carry shooter. It is very motivating and impressive. In the first few minutes of my first trip, I realized how poor my skill level had been, can't say that any more.

41 mag fan
06-28-2011, 06:52 PM
I know they don't know how to not harrass people. They call my home cell ph every other day and leave msgs. I told them 2 yrs ago to stop the calling. It quit then started back up again about 3 months ago.
I checked the home ph last Thursday and deleted 2 msgs from them. Checked today and had 7 msgs from them. Today was enough is enough
I emailed them today and in a nutshell told them next ph call I will be contacting my lawyer, the State Attorney general and the local sherriff and district attorney to file phone harrassment charges on them, plus my cell phone provider.
Thats fine if you sign up for a class and they call to verify accordingly, but not the incessant calls I have been recieving.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-28-2011, 07:10 PM
The local conceal carry instructor in our sportsman club brags about "front sight"
I think he goes there every year.
He is a member of castboolits, but I don't think he is active.
I bought most of his casting stuff, I don't thinks he casts much anymore.
his website is: http://www.planecents.net/
if you scroll halfway down his page...it's a long page,
He offers "Next step skill builder classes"
where he teaches fundamentals he learned at "front sight"
Jon

spqrzilla
06-28-2011, 07:19 PM
I hear good things about their training but their marketing is on the par with a timeshare salesman. That's put me off them.

Bulltipper
06-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Yes, Ignatius Piazza is an Ubersalesman... Yes Frontsight is a top notch school. I am a Diamond member and I have shot thier 4 day handgun and 4 day practical rifle classes. The instruction is great. The lectures are super informative and done by ex law enforcement so you get some great insight on how to legally protect yourself if you have to pull your smokewagon on a bad guy. They charge $50 for a background check if you haven't had one by them in the last 12 months. This, I understand is so they don't train criminals. I have yet to hear someone that actually attended a class say it wasn't worth thier while. You can stay in a hotel in Parumph or if you drive there like I do, you can camp on the BLM land right outside the gate. I no longer take target practice with my pistol, I now do dry fire, hot range drills from the holster and after action drills, practice malfunction clearance procedures and tactical reloads...

geargnasher
06-28-2011, 08:37 PM
My best friend attended last year, and since he's in advertising himself, his Bravo Sierra filters are always on so he was able to enjoy it for what he wanted it to be (he's immune to hype!). His report was extremely positive. Mrs. Geargnasher are flying out there early next spring for the four-day defensive handgun course, already have the admission tickets. We'll let you know how we like it.

Gear

cajun shooter
07-01-2011, 08:58 AM
I have heard of the school and way back in the late 70's or early 80's while I was a cop, I and some buddies attended a shoot don't shoot type of school in Biloxi, Ms. The two instructors had a conference room that contained about 300 police officers. To me,when you are teaching any gun handling at all, the classes should be much smaller with hands on training. Huge classes do not allow this. The instructors then have to rely on hand outs and overhead projectors to teach. If it is a college level information course then that set up is fine but not for firearms. I have attended many firearms schools including several FBI schools that are pass -fail and not the if you attend you pass type. The schools by S&W have a instructor for every 5 students when at the range with live fire. I am in no way taking away from the school as I have not been through it. I would think that if it is indeed one instructor then I would attend a school that was more hands on for the money spent. I also would check the instructors background training. When it comes to teaching a shooting school, it's like showing a picture of the Grand Canyon to someone who has not been there.