PDA

View Full Version : 45/70 to .45x2.2ish

nanuk
06-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Hi

I have an NEF 45/70.

45/70 brass is either none existant or very expensive. over $1.25 apeice last time I found some in a store.

so I was wondering, as I can get much more cheaper belted brass, is it doable to rechamber a 45/70 to something like a Belted 2.1 or 2.2 or something close to that?
at the same time, it could be throated for CB

then only issue I can see is the extracter might be a bit short

what is the direction I need to go here?
I'm hoping someone has plowed this ground before me, and can offer me some direction.

John Traveler
06-27-2011, 09:13 PM
You certainly can rechamber a .45-70 to the wildcat .458x2" which is basically the .450 Marlin with a thicker belt.

Those other wildcats you mentioned: .45x2.2" are easily "doable", but but you have to consider that a rifle chambered for non-standard ammunition has much less resale vale come time to sell or trade it off.

The existing .45-70 extractor will work just fine once you cut it down to fit the belted case rim.

I find it incredible that .45-70 cases are that hard to find or so expensive. Down south in the lower 48, they go for upwards of .50 cents each.

John Taylor
06-27-2011, 09:30 PM
I don't think there is a problem shipping brass. Look here http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=941110085

nanuk
06-28-2011, 12:08 AM
thanks for the info.

No one will ship brass up here. something to do with the HSA. Same with barrels, and gun parts in general.

the permits run way up there.

from the Midway website:
Can I order from MidwayUSA.com if I have an international address?

Due to the variety of regulations controlling international orders, MidwayUSA.com is not able to process international orders for retail customers. We appreciate your business and YADA YADA YADA....

nanuk
06-28-2011, 12:30 AM
I just checked again.

up here form the bigger stores, it runs roughly $1.00 each, add 5% fed tax. and about 10% shipping and your are up to $1.15 each... so a tad less than what I quoted.

has anyone from USA tried to ship once fired "Scrap Brass" up here?

I've received it from the EU without an issue.

troyboy
06-28-2011, 08:58 PM
gets done all the time go here (http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?board=126.0)

abob
06-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Fellow canuck ---Check Track of the Wolf out of Minnesota -- great people to deal with and great prices...good luck. personally I make the drive to a mom and pop gun shop just south of the border from me and bring in reloading suppies couple times a year. ... Cheers- Bob.

roberto mervicini
06-29-2011, 02:33 PM
1- Brass cartridges cannot be exported from USA without proper U.S. export permit.
I ordered couple of boxes of 45/70 from a company south of the border and as I mention Canada, they told me they cannot ship since they do not have the export permit. (this permit cost in excess of US $ 2000)
If Midway has the export permit you are ok.

2- At time private individuals unawere of the law are willing to ship but if the parcel is intercepted you are going to loose it and create them a problem.!

3- (This is good only if you leave close to the border ) Some US company for a small fee give you a legal US postal adress under your own name, you need to fill some paper with info, name, home and phone adress and poto copy of 2 canadian official document one with picture. You give the U.S. adress to the seller in U.S. and they ship to the U.S adress they keep the parcel for you 10 day's, you need to go to pick up and take it back to Canada. Every time you pick up a parcel will cost you couple of $ fees, if you do not pick up with in the 10 days fees increase every 10 days they storage the parcel for you.
________
roberto