PDA

View Full Version : How can someone be so smart and so misinformed?

jonk
06-26-2011, 10:47 PM
I know a guy that casts beautiful bullets for a lot of guns. 45/70, .30, 8mm, etc. He's a credit to the hobby.

Today I heard him say with regards to shooting cast out of an M1 Carbine, "You can't do that, you'll lead it up, the twist is too fast and the rifling too shallow for cast lead."

Didn't matter that I shot a better group with cast than with 110 round nose jacketed, or that I told him I had about 1000 or so through said gun with no leading and no function problems, running about 1900 fps, he was adamant that I was nuts.

Go figure.

MtGun44
06-26-2011, 10:56 PM
You are mistaken in your assessment of him as "so smart".

Bill

beagle
06-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Unfortunately, some are like that. At the range when you say you're shooting cast, you get, "Yeah, they're inaccurate, lead and ruin your barrel."

Typical statements from someone not in the know.

To quote Brother Dave Gardner of old........ "Let them that didn't want none have memories of not getting any......"

That will leave more cast for me to shoot./beagle

felix
06-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Why do you care? To each his own. ... felix

06-26-2011, 10:59 PM
Some people refuse to acknowledge fact and reality, even when it stares them in the face, preferring, instead, to lead their lives in blissful ignorance.

btroj
06-26-2011, 11:18 PM
I am always amazed at what can be accomplished by someone who doesn't know something can't be done.

geargnasher
06-26-2011, 11:50 PM
I am always amazed at what can be accomplished by someone who doesn't know something can't be done.

That's how Henry Ford got unbreakable glass for his windshields. Everybody told him it was impossible, so he interviewed a series of fresh, new engineers, and his primary question during the interview was what they thought about making safe windshields. He hired the one engineer that didn't tell him it couldn't be done. That engineer went straight to the job of it, invented tempered, laminated glass, and Henry Ford got what he needed.

Gear

waksupi
06-27-2011, 12:48 AM
Back when I apprenticed to a blacksmith, he taught me if something was impossible to do, just add three days onto the delivery date. Darned if he couldn't pull it off every time, too!

noylj
06-27-2011, 01:58 AM
You can take almost any manufacturing process, describe it to someone as something new and most of the time they will tell you it's impossible.
I have watched some processes that I still think are impossible.
I always worry about lead collecting in the gas tubes of gas operated semi-autos.

PAT303
06-27-2011, 04:33 AM
Before I joined this site I thought you could only use 10gns of shotgun powder under a lead boolit and that I could only shoot 1'' groups at 100 with jacketted. Pat

Fishman
06-27-2011, 04:49 AM
Maybe he had an m1 carbine that didn't work well with cast for some reason. He may also not have found this site which is amazing btw.

lwknight
06-27-2011, 05:14 AM
Don't tell me "CAN'T" ! I'll show you some "CAN"T!
I always told my kids " Cant never could do nuthin".
Really , some people just get something stuck in their head and cannot get past it. Its worse the older the person is too.

41mag
06-27-2011, 05:40 AM
Well I have recently become a convert. Not that it "couldn't be done", I simply didn't want top bad enough. While not with the M1, I had apprehensions of shoving a heavy chunk of lead down my bore at high pressure and velocity. I am over that now that I have done it. Well mostly anyhow. [smilie=l:

I always told my kids " Cant never could do nuthin".

Yep, that brings a whole flood of memories back, I can here my pop now,

"Don't won't, couldn't wouldn't, and can't never could", plus quite a few more. It was usually followed up by, "now get your "donkey" up here, and lets get done with this".

soldierbilly1
06-27-2011, 06:10 AM
they don't know what it is they don't know!

philosopher
billy boy

Bret4207
06-27-2011, 07:12 AM
There's stupid and there's ignorant. Ya can't fix stupid, but you can educate the ignorant. No guarantee they'll have an easy time of it or that they'll end up thinking just like you do, but you can inform them if their minds are open.

Wayne Smith
06-27-2011, 07:44 AM
Knowledgable in a narrow frame and highly opinionated. CLosed minded and not willing to learn. I don't define that as "smart".

songdog53
06-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Glad this came up and reminded me i haven't shot my M1 lately.

Rangefinder
06-27-2011, 10:55 AM
It always amazes me how many things I've done that I found out later couldn't be--good thing no one told me they were impossible before I did them--I might not have tried. Well, I probably would have anyway on second thought--I tend to ignore the nay-sayers with amazing regularity. ;)

gnoahhh
06-27-2011, 11:01 AM
I put a couple thousand rounds of cast through an M1 Carbine and the only issue I encountered was a bit of lead fouling in the gas port. Could've been an alloy issue, but dealing with it was no big deal so I just kept shooting it out of ignorance that cast bullets were no good for it. It was a sweet shooting fun little gun but the novelty wore off after a while so away it went.

I know a guy who has over 150 of them in his collection, but he refuses to shoot cast in them. Of course he doesn't shoot much jacketed either. The only one that gets "aired out" occasionally is his M2.

white eagle
06-27-2011, 11:07 AM
do the impossible first then that makes the others look easy

frkelly74
06-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Some people refuse to acknowledge fact and reality, even when it stares them in the face, preferring, instead, to lead their lives in blissful ignorance.

I worked with a guy once who every once in a while would say " My mind is made up , don't confuse me with the facts!" Same thing different words.

Trey45
06-27-2011, 11:16 AM
I don't mind a bit when people think you can't use lead in their guns, it leaves more lead for me to gather up and use in mine. Their loss, my gain.

michiganvet
06-27-2011, 01:15 PM
My carbine loves 311359 sized to .311. The bore is a bit oversized for .308 jacketed.

singleshot
06-27-2011, 02:31 PM
There's stupid and there's ignorant. Ya can't fix stupid, but you can educate the ignorant. No guarantee they'll have an easy time of it or that they'll end up thinking just like you do, but you can inform them if their minds are open.

Yep, there's nothin you can do with ignorant AND apathetic...
"I dunno, and I don't care."

onesonek
06-27-2011, 03:09 PM
If there is a will, there is a way. Think outside the box.
Just a couple adage's that come to mind.
Dad always said, "sometimes you have to forget the books, and use your brain"
And like other's mentioned, "there's no such thing as can't"

1Shirt
06-27-2011, 03:15 PM
There is a problem leading that horse to water regardless of if he drinks or not!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

mold maker
06-27-2011, 03:21 PM
I've always heard you can't use metal in a micriwave, but I've just been told of a method, of casting metals, like lead, IN A MICROWAVE. It's something just now being explored, but so far the tecknology looks sound.
Only the container and metal are heated, so it's very efficent.

Baron von Trollwhack
06-27-2011, 03:27 PM
There are at least 1, 000, 000 varieties of this fellow in our hobby. They will not listen to truth but perhaps quietly observing learners and intrested bystanders will.

BvT

milprileb
06-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Beyond the fact you can shoot cast bullets in carbines and Garands, the use of these bullets can extend the life of the weapons. Many weapons have worn bores and years of shooting can be gained with these original barrels if one casts bullets for these rifles.

nametrux
06-27-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm new to casting. This thread is fascinating to me. If the velocity is kept low and with the proper cast hardness, can most calibers be loaded with cast? Where can I find more info on this?

nanuk
06-27-2011, 05:43 PM
Yep, there's nothin you can do with ignorant AND apathetic...
"I dunno, and I don't care."

My Boss said I was Ignorant and Apathetic. I didn't know what he meant, but I didn't care!

Dad always said, "sometimes you have to forget the books, and use your brain"
And like other's mentioned, "there's no such thing as can't"

Up around here, we call it "Book Learned"

I'm new to casting. This thread is fascinating to me. If the velocity is kept low and with the proper cast hardness, can most calibers be loaded with cast? Where can I find more info on this?

I am facinated also, by cast boolits.... and having them go as fast as jacketed and with accuracy.

06-27-2011, 08:08 PM
"Where can I find more info on this?"

Look no further. Everything you need to know will be found somewhere on this site. Read the various sub-forum stickies and the Archive...link at the bottom of the page. If it isn't here, it isn't worth knowing.

Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook is a must read, expecially the third edition.

singleshot
06-27-2011, 08:29 PM
I've always heard you can't use metal in a micriwave, but I've just been told of a method, of casting metals, like lead, IN A MICROWAVE. It's something just now being explored, but so far the tecknology looks sound.
Only the container and metal are heated, so it's very efficent.

You know, that's not entirely true. You CAN put metal in a microwave. Look at the new racks, they're metal. You have to put the RIGHT metal in a microwave.

Melting lead in a microwave is intriguing, but how would you cast with it?

blikseme300
06-27-2011, 08:46 PM

Ya can't fix stupid, but you can often head it off before somebody gets hurt! Don't mess with the Darwin awards contenders though, they will too often take you with them.

Bliksem

canyon-ghost
06-27-2011, 09:02 PM
nametrux, welcome aboard. I shoot nothing but lead, and shoot 40 round silhouette matches with it.

Ron

whisler
06-27-2011, 09:24 PM
My Momma always said " can't never tried".

Iron Mike Golf
06-28-2011, 09:21 AM
And Grandma said, " 'I can' makes a great man"

MBTcustom
06-28-2011, 10:55 AM
As far as I know you can cast for any firearm or caliber. The difference between cartridges that have cast lead boolits and those that have copper jacket bullets is minimal. As far as performance of one verses the other, Copper jackets are superior only in that they are inherently consistent and they are harder, therefore they are less prone to damage but they are also harder on barrels. The cast lead boolit is superior in every other way. They are cheaper, there are more options, they are easier on the barrel, they are better killers, and they run cleaner than copper jacket boolits (that is the difference between cleaning powder fowling vs. copper streaks. Properly made cast boolits do not leave any metal in the barrel.)
Cast boolits do have trouble with high speeds but their limit is much higher than most folks figure. Speeds of 2700 fps are easily obtainable with cast lead and many have claimed that 3000+ is possible. So read some stuff here and post a few questions and forget what you think you know and you will soon find out how much myth is propagated by those who are not in the know.

jhalcott
06-28-2011, 06:55 PM
At the range the other day a friend was shooting his new to him 7tc/u at 100 yards using cast bullets. A fellow shooter asked about the gun and load. Then said "OH, it's a fire form load, so you don't care that it's NOT accurate!" My friend let the guy shoot 3 or 4 shots at another target that was not being used. The guy did not believe he'd shot the 1 to 1 1/2 inch group with a cast bullet thru a 10" barrel at 100 yards!! He asked how expensive a Contender like that cost before he left. Yes , bags and a 2x7 scope was used!

williamwaco
06-28-2011, 09:32 PM
=================================================

=================================================

I no longer have an M1 Carbine and I really miss it. Unfortunately, even if I had one, there is no place left to shoot it. I have lived in heaven and unfortunately there is no going back.

I had it when I was a kid and couldn't afford the 5 cents per round for military surplus. I found a used 3118 double cavity mold and could buy primers at that time for less than $10 per thousand. Wheel weights were free for the asking at any "filling" station. We could also pick up a pound a week at every reilroad crossing. I also couldn't afford a 30 round clip but we duct taped three 20 round clips in a staggered arrangement with two open up and one open down for 60 rounds total. Similar to the way they tape two 30 round clips today.

I could shoot that thing for the cost of .22LR. Never heard of carbide dies.

Modern shooters can't even imagine the pure joy of walking down a muddy dirt road with a pile of tin cans and empty bottles, car bodies with unbroken windows, referigerators and washing machines, piled 30 feet high and 400 yards long - on both sides of the road!

One shot would make four or five cans jump and a five round burst ( semi-auto ) would put 15 to 20 cans in the air at the same time.

Well - I digress. Over a ten year period, I put at least 20,000 of those 3118s through that thing with nothing bur normal cleaning. By today's standards, it got nothing more than a dust off and a couple of bore swabs. Leading was what I got in my .357 /ruger with HOT loads.

JIMinPHX
06-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Being told that something can't be done, sort of puts some of the fun into doing it, for me anyway.

Hang Fire
06-29-2011, 01:20 AM
"To most of us nothing is so invisible as an unpleasant truth. Though it is held before our eyes, pushed under our noses, rammed down our throats- we know it not." ... Eric Hoffer