PDA

View Full Version : Compression Die for .45 Colt?

James P
01-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Hi everyone! I'm just starting to get into handloading blackpowder in .45 Colt cartridges, for my Ruger New Vaquero. Is it really necessary to use a compression die for that? I loaded some with 34 grains by volume of FFF real blackpowder and had to compress it pretty hard to seat the bullets deep enough. I just used the seating die for that. Is it likely that would be enough to deform the bullets? Thanks.

shooter575
01-04-2007, 11:11 PM
I dont think that a pistol cartridge needs that much compression.In the 44-40 I compress just enough so nothing moves.Heck I even do the same with the 45-70 for 100 yd plinking.Now if I was shooting long range....
Now this is just my .02 worth

wills
01-04-2007, 11:22 PM
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,3329.htm

John Boy
01-05-2007, 01:37 AM
Is it likely that would be enough to deform the bullets?
James ... No. Using a compression die as a reloading step of 45 Colts is totally unnecessary.

Using the bullet in the seating die to compress 30- 35grs for a 45 Colt will not deform the bullet.

How do I know? I shoot 454" 250gr bullets in all my CAS revolvers and rifles, averaging 400+ reloads a month... using 35gr FFFg Schuetzen powder.

Welcome to the Dark Side and Enjoy the Smoke!

PS: My workhorse revolvers are RVSSBH's:-D

Dale53
01-05-2007, 01:57 AM
I have shot thousands of .45 Colt Black Powder loads. You do NOT need a compression die. I compress 1/16" when I seat the bullet. You do not need more compression nor wads. Use the amount of black powder that allows you to compress no more than 1/16".

There is quite a performance difference between brands of black powder. You can drive a 250-260 bullet from 750 fps to nearly 1000 fps depending on which powder you use. 2f Elephant (for those that still have some) is the slowest, then 3f Elephant, 2f Goex, then 3f Goex, #5 Swiss, then #4 Swiss the fastest. All of this in a 7½" barrel.

FWIW
Dale53

floodgate
01-05-2007, 01:36 PM
James P:

If you want a full charge of powder, and are worried about over-compressing, have you tried drop-tubing? A 24" length should add a couple of grains. Also, with excessive compression, you may find the boolits "oozing" out a bit after the loaded cartridges have set a bit.

floodgate

KCSO
01-05-2007, 03:34 PM
If you drop tube, that load of FFF should compress with just the bullet. That is a real he man load and should duplicate the old factory load with about 900fps from a 255 bullet. I am more of a wimp and I like 28 grains of FFg and a felt wad in W/W cases. This gives me about 750 fps and is more to my liking. Just as a note of interest I have pulled loads from WTC, Peters, UMC and Military loads and have NEVER gotten 40 grains of powder. Peters with 37 grains was the most powder and the 3 I shot over the chrono ran right at 950 from a 7 1/2" bbl. All ammo was and still is loaded to velocity, not powder charge and 45-70, 44-40 ect is at best a misnomer not a graved in stone loading instruction.

James P
01-05-2007, 09:11 PM
When I start loading some proper softcast bullets I'll have to experiment and see if it deforms the bullets. And I appreciate the info on using a drop tube, I'll definitely try that. So the concensus seems to be that I don't really need a compression die, and that's nice to know. Thank you everyone! :)

ELFEGO BACA
01-24-2007, 03:50 PM
I load about 33 grains of FFFG Skirmish black powder in my 45 Colt. I shoot a 300 grain flat point bullet with large lube grooove cast of wheelweight/lino alloy. The mold was made by Doughty.

NO COMPRESSION DIE NECESSARY:)

The real challenge is to get your New Vaquero to function reliably for more than a cylinder full of ammo. It was not until I had a groove cut in the cylinder pin boss on the front of the cylinder that I could shoot 30 rounds(6 stages) in our local CASS matches without CLEANING.

I hope your experience is better:)

44man
01-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Put STP oil treatment on the pin too. It really helps to keep things moving. RCBS case lube works too.