PDA

View Full Version : Lee Magnum Melters Problems

brudford
06-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Just purchased a Lee Magnum Melter from Midway about two weeks ago . My first casting outing no problems . Just casted again today and the melter is making a loud buzz or humming noise , driving me insane . Any ideas ?

Bill*
06-26-2011, 08:04 PM
60 cycle hum caused by slightly loose connection?

lavenatti
06-28-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm about to start stuffing some insulation into my Lee pot. The humming drives me nuts.

Now I know why it was only $30.

Baron von Trollwhack
06-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Why worry about the hum. It is related to the off/on cycling of the thermostat and lets you know temperature. Full pot, fast recycling, ready to cast at your chosen temp. As the hum stops you are at steady state temp till it starts again, especially as you make the melt level go below the heating element. Etc. BvT

Longwood
06-28-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm about to start stuffing some insulation into my Lee pot. The humming drives me nuts.

Now I know why it was only $30.

While you have it apart, you might try fixing the problem. It is more than likely what Bill said, a loose or corroded connection.
Don't work on covering up the the symptom, work on fixing the problem.
I would lcheck to see if the heating element is touching the case somewhere.

snuffy
06-29-2011, 09:15 AM
A buzzing noise bothers you?! What would bother me is if it stopped! That would mean the element is blown, or the thermostat was stuck open, I'd be all done casting.

Mine buzzes when it first starts heating up. Then, as parts start expanding it settles into the low almost silent hum when the element is on.