PDA

View Full Version : Reloder 7--- A great metering powder!

Shuz
06-25-2011, 07:41 PM
The past couple of days have been a real joy for me. I decided to try some Alliant Reloder 7 with some assorted 25 cal boolits as I continue to search for the "one hole group load" for my .250 Sav. I still may not have found the "one hole group load", cause I gotta wait awhile to shoot until I heal from a recent operation, but I have found a powder that works extremely well thru my old Dillon 450 push feed powder measure. I have been using this measure since the mid 80's when I burned copious amonts of powder shooting the 7mm TCU in IHMSA competition. In those days, H-322 was a fairly good metering powder for the TCU. My charges with that powder varied in the plus or minus .1 g area and that is plenty good enuf. However, Reloder 7 has consistently given me plus or minus "0" variations in the 15 to 16 g area. For the first time in my life, using the 450 Dillon, and a suitable "cast boolit powder", I have been comfortable not having to weigh every charge, as this powder does not "bridge" in the measure/drop tube.
I hope this info helps some others who have been struggeling with 4759 and 5744 and other supposedly "ideal" cast boolit powders.

bruce drake
06-26-2011, 02:52 AM
I enjoy usin Re7 whenever I can find it at my local gunshop/dealer. I use it for all my medium weight/caliber boolit work when my IMR4895 doesn't provide a smaller group.

Bruce

geargnasher
06-26-2011, 03:37 AM
In medium-small cases and large straightwall, I get the best accurate velocity for the lowest pressure most of the time with RX7. I've never tried it against 5744 directly, but it's usually a cut above 4198 and 748 as far as accuracy and consistency in a variety of temperatures goes, at least in my guns. Some of the extruded powders, particularly IMR rifle powders, meter like toothpicks. If you're used to that, RX7 is a dream.

Gear