PDA

View Full Version : First casting session

Little Big Oz
06-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Just got my casting equipment and some clip-on WW ingots from The Captain, so today was my first casting session. Below is a picture of how my first boolits came out (left), and how they looked by the time I was done (right). I'm using a bottom pour Lee pot and an RCBS 44-250-Keith mould.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_192844e066397217eb.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1296)

I've got a lot to learn about preheating the mould, proper alloy temp, and cadence. Do most of you find that it's difficult to properly preheat the mould by placing it atop the pot? I've read where some recommend using a hot plate for that purpose.

RobS
06-25-2011, 07:04 PM
You can put your mold on the top of the pot but it will take longer to bring it up to temp, or at least it was for me on my Lee 20lbs pot. I now use a cheap hot plate and it's been smooth sailing. Good looking boolit on the right there; your venture has begun it appears. Welcome aboard.

Little Big Oz
06-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks RobS. This is a terribly addicting hobby.

RobS
06-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks RobS. This is a terribly addicting hobby.

Yes it is and it'll get worse!!!

geargnasher
06-25-2011, 07:31 PM
Looks like you have the hang of it pretty well!

You can get by just fine preheating your RCBS mould by dipping one of the bottom front corners of the mould about 1/2" deep in the molten lead in the top of your pot, hold it there about 20-30 seconds with the blocks and sprue plate tightly closed, when you pull it out and the lead doesn't stick to it in a thick clump but just sloughs off back into the melt, it's hot enough. Also, dip the tip of your sprue plate into the melt right afterward, same trick, when you pull it out it should be clean or only have a speck or two of lead clinging to it.

NO, it won't warp your mould to do this. If your first couple of casts still show wrinkled boolits, dunk it again for another ten seconds or so.

I use a hotplate and a little "oven" I built out of a metal electrical box to preheat my moulds, but I have some large, heavy, brass moulds and some Lee commercial ones, and it takes forever to get them to temp by just casting with them. For two-cavity moulds the "dunk-a-corner" method is just fine.

Time your cadence, actually watch a clock. Three pours a minute steadily will get and keep your mould plenty hot for good boolits, although your first dozen or so usually aren't perfect because the heat needs time to equalize throughout the blocks and sprue plate.

DON'T overheat your alloy, or turn the pot temp way up to "cure" fillout problems, this is a band-aid at best and affects boolit quality. With Kathie's WW metal (I have some myself) you shouldn't need to turn your alloy temp up beyond 700 degrees, and 650 might be better although that cool you might need to add just one percent or so of tin solder to help the fillout. The #1 secret to boolit casting is getting your mould to the proper temperature, and maintaining a casting pace that keeps it there. If you do this, you won't need to overheat the metal.

Other than casting fast enough and not overheating you alloy, the basics are mostly up to you. I'd recommend trying to "swirl pour" you metal (do a search for it here with my name and onandaga's), get some Bullplate sprue lube, and keep your cavities 100% oil free for good, wrinkle-free boolits.

Good luck!

Gear

Dennis Eugene
06-25-2011, 09:36 PM
The RCBS 44-250-Kis a great mold and your last bullet in above pic was a great looking bullet, yep preheat the mold better next time and your off to the races. Dennis

WHITETAIL
06-26-2011, 08:29 AM
OZ,Welcome to the forum!
And great job on those boolits.:cbpour:

Little Big Oz
06-26-2011, 08:57 AM
Thank you all for the welcome and the tips. The advice on this forum has been very helpful. I'm able to learn something every day here. You guys are good coaches.

adrians
06-26-2011, 09:18 AM
welcome lbo,
life as you knew it has now past on , you have entered the 4th dimension and it;s irreversable,addicting and oh so much fun .
the wealth of knowledge here will help you along your trip so buckle up and enjoy the ride ,,,,i do!!
:evil::CastBoolitsisbest::twisted:

thegreatdane
06-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Yes it is and it'll get worse!!!

Sure will!

My advice is to stay out of the group buys and never look at Midway's casting section! It'll save you a lot of $$! But then you'd miss out on all the really neat stuff. Oh heck, you're saving money, right??

Welcome. Nice looking boolits for a first cast. Very impressive.