PDA

View Full Version : A couple of new 7MM molds

JDL
06-04-2005, 10:22 PM
Last year I got some brand new Lyman's from my friend Bob, but haven't used them until today. I cleaned 2 of them, adjusted the sprue plate, and started casting. I'm telling you, I have never used a mold that was any easier to use than the 287308, making great boolits on the 3rd cast! I mean every boolit picture perfect but, now for the rest of the story. They only measure .273" on the bore-ride nose :-( ,with the body going .286". I'm going to try them but, I don't have much confidence they will shoot very well,as they will drop all the way into the muzzle, to the body.
But,I am looking foward to shooting the other one, the 287405, a Loverin design, that measures .289". This was also a very user friendly mold, despite being a Loverin design, but I needed to make about 7 casts with it before it started to drop good boolits. I believe with the long, gradual throat in my 7X57, these will work well.-JDL

BOOM BOOM
06-09-2005, 04:07 PM
HI,
Always good to hear from another 7MM shooter.
One of these days when I get rich & famous I get a 7X57 mauser.
But now I'm focused on the 7MM/06 w/ the 168gr. gc. lyman bore rider.
Keep posting to let us know how things go.

BOOM BOOM
06-13-2005, 11:14 AM
HI,
I have been using the Lyman 168 gr gc #287308 for over 25 yrs now. I have a four cavity mould and up to this yr. just shot WW air cooled or ww. + tin air cooled. This year I am trying H2O quenched WW.
The bullets w/ gc. & lube ave. out to wt. of 176.5 grs.
I have MOPG ( mim. of potgut ground squrell) groups at a 100yds. (2").