PDA

View Full Version : I'm gonna have more time to cast and shoot

quack1
06-24-2011, 08:23 PM
I work for a university research division, doing research mostly for the Navy and just found out we lost a major amount of funding and I, and some other co-workers, will be officially done in a couple of weeks. The government running out of money is really hitting us hard. There were about 26 guys working in our building a short time ago, and now there are only 9 left. Guess the Navy has to keep the ships and planes running, rather than have us work on new toys and improvements for older ones.
I forsee some extended range time to work on some load projects I wanted to get to last summer, but didn't have the time. I also forsee some fish and groundhogs dieing. Only problem is I will have to job hunt at the same time. Hopefully I can come up with something that will last the 5 years until I can retire.

SciFiJim
06-26-2011, 02:28 AM
Ouch! Man I feel for you. I work for the Post Office and hope it lasts another 8 years until I can retire. Things look dismal for the PO. Hope you find a decent job quickly that will allow you the time to hunt and fish as well.

SharpsShooter
06-26-2011, 11:07 AM
That's a painful way to garner free time. I too hope it is brief and your next position is an improvement.

SS

Olevern
06-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Good luck on the job hunt. I've been lookin for over a year and it has gotten tiresome. Had been hoping to work until age 65, but nothing avail. in this area (north central Pa.) requiring my education and background. Now considering a part time job driving old folk to their doctor appointments in a van....a big step down from what I did previously, but, unless I want to move again from my ideal (very) rural setting in the mountains, I guess the alternative is to not work the next five years until social security age. Who knows, SS may not even be there when I reach 65. There are many advantages to living 75 miles from the nearest mall....such as having one's own range in the back pasture. Not willing to give this lifestyle up...

Anyway, as I said, good luck with the job hunt...the key is to not get discouraged and keep plugging at it...and, in this economy...to be willing to drop your sites a bit if need be.

Our economy (as all economies) seems to cycle and eventually it will recover and times will be good again.

shooterg
06-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Olevern, I have rethought waiting for SS until full retirement age. Gonna take it at 62. 75% for a few years may be better than 100% of nothing later !

RobS
06-26-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm in your shoes and working odds and ends trying to make it; I feel your pain.

firefly1957
06-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Good luck to you Enjoy the time off while you can.

white eagle
06-26-2011, 11:14 PM
I have been out of work for over a year
sucks ...big time specially when everyone else needs a job too
9 more for me to retire but at my age the younger fellas beat me out
best of luck to ya hang on as long as you can

Olevern
06-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Olevern, I have rethought waiting for SS until full retirement age. Gonna take it at 62. 75% for a few years may be better than 100% of nothing later !

I hear you, shooterg, I figure I'll lose too much by takin it early,and, as I intend to live to at least 110 , I'll make up the 62-65 age payments. :-)

Phat Man Mike
06-30-2011, 06:08 PM
I feel for you! I was forced out by a W/C accident .. and my employer paid 0 .. just getting by a wing and a prayer .

blackthorn
07-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Olevern said "I figure I'll lose too much by takin it early,and, as I intend to live to at least 110 , I'll make up the 62-65 age payments".

At age 57 I figured out that taking an early (by 3 yrs.) pension and losing 10% I woud have to live to be over 90, just to break even using the difference I would gain by waiting! I figure if I get that far and I wind up broke it will be time to take a walk on the ice (the way old wore-out eskimoos do (or at least used to do).