PDA

View Full Version : 2 cycle oil for Felix lube?

Timb1
01-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Of all the lube formulas I have seen I have never seen 2 cycle oil listed has anyone tried it? While mixing up gas for the old saw I got to thinking about this in boolit lube. With so little mixed in gas to keep a high RPM engine it must be slick and fairly clean burning too. I am sure I am not the first person to think of this, so whats the deal?

Thanks Tim.

felix
01-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Tim, try it and see. Use instead of mineral oil. I never try anything that I think might smell foul when either cooking or shooting. Could be throwing away a good additive by this method of thought, but my olfactory nerves take precedence over those which look at groups. ... felix

Timb1
01-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Felix, would you just replace the mineral and castor oil both with the 2 cycle oil?

Tim.

357maximum
01-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Watch your step...

I made one of my early batches of lube using a synthetic 2cycle oil....The lube ingredients/and/or my cooking methods give it a rubber like quality...it lubed good and there was no leading......but it left what I would call plastic fouling ..in bulk..I had to use an acetone based plastic fouling remover to get rid of it....the fouling looked like it belonged in a skeet gun.....

felix
01-05-2007, 12:16 AM
Don't use synthetics! See another post which was written by me within the last week or less. ... felix

357maximum
01-05-2007, 12:22 AM
Don't use synthetics! See another post which was written by me within the last week or less. ... felix

I really wish you had posted that about a year and a half ago.....I had to learn it the hard way.....:drinks: I am now one of the "I like lubes that smell nice" camp members myself....

longbow
01-05-2007, 02:05 AM
Tim:

I have been thinking along the same lines and plan to try a grease & 2 stroke oil mix with soap (sodium stearate) to thicken and keep it all together or possibly paraffin or beeswax to thicken as required.

Not trying to reinvent things or steal your ideas Felix, I am just curious and trying to minimize ingredients, and keep things simple for a simple old man (that would be me).

I figure that if I can turn 2 stroke oil into a grease using soap which is essentially how grease is made anyway it should have the right characteristics: high temperature capability, thin film strength and clean burning. 2 stroke oil is a thin film boundry type lubricant. If it needs a little help for thickening then high temp wheel bearing grease should help and/or maybe beeswax.

If this works out then it is simple, the ingredients are easily available, I will have had fun doing it and learned something. If it doesn't work out then I will still have had fun trying, I will still have learned something and I will carry on and make Felix Lube because it works for sure and I would rather make stuff than buy stuff (yeah I know, I have to buy stuff to make stuff but you know what I mean).

Anyway, there you have it. I had planned on getting this done by now but vehicle repairs have kept me busy.

If you try the 2 stroke oil I would appreciate knowing the results and if I get to my mix first I will let you know how it goes. Currently I am working on penetration tests that I want to post so I have to get that out of the way too.

Good luck.

Longbow

sundog
01-05-2007, 08:25 AM
Bees wax and Moly Sta-lube, 50/50 and adjust from there, worked real good in a worn M1917 revolver with 255 gr .454 boolits. Bbl actually started cleaning up a bit. Drawback is, it stinks. sundog

Bug
01-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Get this:
For those that don't like stinky lube:
I once stiffened up some FWFL by melting in a little paraffin. In this case it happened to be from some left-over scented candles. Hey, the lube smells nice!
I don't know why you couldn't add in a touch of the oil-based candle scent, or the scented wax chips. That would let you make it smell like anything you'd like.
Vanilla for plinkin loads, Cinnamon for the hotter stuff, evergreen for hunting. That might get to be fun... And yes, you can smell it when you shoot!

9.3X62AL
01-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Martha Stewart Designer Boolit Lubes.......it's a good thing. :-)

wheezengeezer
01-13-2007, 12:40 PM
rendered 10 lb of deer tallow last night,this morning i have a full pot of hard white stinky waxy stuff.glad i did it in the garage.planning on moulding it into 1 lb blocks,and i think some sort of preserving addative might be in order.what do they use to preserve animal fats and where can i find some?dont really have a recipe in mind for lube but i read that petroleum base lube is better for smokeless and animal base is better for blackpowder.i am considering a tallow/beeswax base with maybe alox added.any good blackpowder recipies?what is felix lube?

TCLouis
01-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Bees wax and Moly Sta-lube, 50/50 and adjust from there, worked real good in a worn M1917 revolver with 255 gr .454 boolits. Bbl actually started cleaning up a bit. Drawback is, it stinks. sundog

That posts here a lot. It seems we all gravitate to some lube that works well for us. I am using FWFWL and will continue til the purchase from the big batch is used up. Then I will likely return to my 50/50 untill I get rid of the 10-15 I have squirrelled away now.
Then I will have to try some of Lar's lube in there somewhere.

Heck, DoAll Tool saver works well on BP boolits and may well do well with smokless. I know it prevents leading, but can't say anything about accuracy.

As I remember a lot of the early experiments (C.E. Harris) proved that many lubes worked very well for the prevention of leading, the issue was that accuracy "went south" when using them.

carpetman
01-13-2007, 01:37 PM
I would think with all the muffin ingots,someone would try jelly or butter as a lube.

44man
01-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Beeswax, beer and a dash of scotch, process through the kidneys first. Really, why does anyone try to improve on Felix or Lar's lube? There are no magic ingredients any where in the world so you would be better served to use the K.I.S.S principal.
I printed out a huge stack of recipes and most are just plain junk as are most of the commercial lubes.

Gun Junkie
01-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Wheezengezzer,

What I've heard about deer fat is that it doesn't go bad. I've got some I've had around for 4 or 5 years and it's still just pure white and solid. So long as you rendered it properly you shouldn't need any preservatives.

Been trying to figure out what to do with it. I haven't seen a lube mix that uses it though, bee wax it ain't....I'd have to add some smell good stuff....my personal preference would be the smell of Hercules/Alliant or whoever makes it now 2400 powder!

Gun Junkie

waksupi
01-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Wheezengeezer, I would make soap from the tallow, works good. Felix Lube is one most of us use. The recipe can be found on Cast Boolits topic forum on this page.

Greg5278
01-13-2007, 08:22 PM
I don't know about the deer fat, it's preety brittle at cold temps. Lard without preservatives works well. I have seen some corrosion problems with lubes that contain fats and the Preservative BHT. The BHT is normally added to prevent oxidation/rancidity in edible fats. The bullets were corroding and getting pitted and oxidized after a few monthgs. After cleaning a few bullets, some shallow pits remained. The Lard contained no salt as an additive, so I have given up on it. I will make my own lard next time. It smells like a pork BBQ when mixced 50/50 with beeswax.
Greg

44man
01-13-2007, 11:24 PM
I rendered all the fat from a large doe one year. It was so hard I hung it from a tree in the yard. The birds made short work of it. We had very healthy birds that year.

Willbird
01-13-2007, 11:45 PM
Hey I figuire if FELIX tries to improve on his lube it is not sacrilege of others do so too :-)

Bill

John Boy
01-15-2007, 12:37 AM
Tim, steam cylinder oil would be a better choice than 2 cycle stuff. It has mineral oil in it.

If it was good enough for Harry Pope in his lube ... should be good enough for us modern day folks!