PDA

View Full Version : No more cases from the scrapyard?????

Typecaster
06-23-2011, 06:45 PM
I stopped by my favorite scrapyard last week, and it didn't look good. The manager came over to say hi and to say "no more bullets." He said the company wasn't buying any cases because the Chinese didn't want them. They still had the same 55-gal. drums of junk brass that looked like it had been out in the acid rain for too long, but there wasn't anything of interest and half looked like it had been driven over.

Bummed me out for the day. I guess I should be happy about the good luck I used to have there, like a 5-gal. bucket almost full of NEW 45/70, .45 Colt and .44 Special, with some unusually clean 5.56 mil. and a smattering of typical range pickups. Usually, though, it was just a few pounds of cases at a time. Sometimes the manager would tell me if there was a new load to look through. No more.

On the way back to the truck I walked next to a typical-looking metal scrounger (or was he a shooter?) who was carrying a shoebox of .45 ACP cases that the scrapyard wouldn't buy.

Anybody else run into this? I can't fault the company…if they can't resell it, there's no point in buying it. Bummer.

Richard

(MODS: I don't know where to post this, but I had to vent a little)

Lizard333
06-23-2011, 07:36 PM
I'm still getting clean brass scrap prices here. No problems yet.....

Johnch
06-23-2011, 08:26 PM
No problem as of 3 weeks back
They put my junk brass into the same pile as all the other clean brass

John

Mike W1
06-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Been awhile but mine had to be deprimed, which I now routinely do when I scrap cases.

frkelly74
06-23-2011, 10:28 PM
That could be good news sort of. It is a race between the scrappers and the reloaders to scoop up brass. This could eliminate some competition if it proves to be a trend.

DGV
06-23-2011, 10:59 PM
I just got $1.90/LB for my scrap brass. 114 lbs. almost two 5 gallon pails.

bwgdog
06-24-2011, 12:26 AM
Richard-Where are you located-can not tell your part of the world? They are paying $2.30 in the Bay area-N.CA. tia barry

lead-1
06-24-2011, 01:12 AM
There has not been anyone within 20 miles of my location that will buy cartridge brass for ten years or more. The reason I got years ago was that the recyclers that they sell to won't take it. I keep it just in case but I got the same reply as Typecsater.

Longwood
06-24-2011, 01:27 AM
A friend of mine just paid for his truck driving schooling with brass he scrounged here in Southern California. His place is about 2 miles from the local "Shooting area" and everyday, when the shooting stopped, he would ride over on his motorcycle and pick up all of the brass that people left behind. His son is now doing the same thing and I told him to start selling it here instead of wasting it at the recycler. He is thinking about selling wheel weight ingots here also.

nanuk
06-24-2011, 02:23 AM
up here, we have our Gov't surplus sales

tenders for brass 'Start' at around $3.00/kg IIRC. and most lots are around 20,000kg.

that works out to about $1.36/lb and 44,000lbs lots.
someone up here must be buying it for something.

warf73
06-24-2011, 05:31 AM
IF anyone has brass cases they can't get rid of at the scrap yard pm me. I'll put all scrap BRASS cases back to work.

Thanks Warf

skeet1
06-24-2011, 09:02 AM
I was told by a scrap dealer in Hutchinson, KS that the problem was they could not be shipped out of the country and had to be disposed of in the U.S. because of export laws.

Ken

bobthenailer
06-24-2011, 03:30 PM
my brother in law just sold a box with perhaps 1500 or more 45 acp cases to a scrap yard in Fredrick Maryland ! got $28.00
The last time i took brass to the scrap yard they took fired brass with primers or spent loose primers its still brass ! except for shotgun primers

warf73
06-25-2011, 12:32 AM
Dang I log in today with great hopes of PM's stacked up, no such luck :(

Junk brass makes great swaged bullets. Just another way to recycle and do my part lol