PDA

View Full Version : Lee H&G 68 clone?

dualsport
06-23-2011, 04:32 PM
I've heard of this Lee mold, which one is it? Good stuff? My ratty ol' .45 chokes on about anything lead, my good one eats anything.

Bula
06-23-2011, 04:37 PM
6 cav is the Lee 90310, good mold. Shoots excellent OAL that works for me, 1.255" over a charge of 5.2g of W231.

dualsport
06-23-2011, 09:31 PM
thanks, I'll check the Lee sight. I might need one of those.

oscarflytyer
06-24-2011, 11:43 AM
if you can get your hands on one, the MiHec clone (mine is 6 cav alum) is great. He has a cpl other versions as well. I love mine.

94Doug
06-24-2011, 12:03 PM
There were several attempts with Lee and the HG68. One of the last ones came out kinda close. Of course there always is the debate of exactly what the specs of a "true" '68 are.

Doug

dualsport
07-12-2011, 08:48 PM
A friend from the CBA forum has sent me his Lee 6 cav. mold to try out. I cast some up, beautiful boolits and the mold works good. They are not quite .359 but I'll give 'em a try anyway. I'm told adding some antimony will increase the OD, that may be next. It is a good looking design, looks like an all purpose type. May try some in my Marlin. So far it prefers the LBT 359-200 LFN at about .360 but a light 158 pb in a 6 cav. would be nice for blasting ammo.

milprileb
07-14-2011, 07:51 AM
dualsport: you lost me there. I thought the OP was about .45acp H&G 68 Lee clone bullet mold?

If indeed this is the OP intent, my experience is this six cavity Lee Mold drops excellent bullets and are very accurate in all my 1911 pistols. Downside is its a bevel base design and a ring
of lube forms when using a sizer lubricator and one had to wipe that ring off the base of bullet.

Accuracy is such, I am not going to alter the mold to eliminate the bevel.

There is data written that bevel based bullets are prone to leading or contributing to leading of barrels. I have not found that to be the case but that may be situational dynamics with my alloy, sizing, and weapons bore diameters and powder choices.

Doby45
07-14-2011, 09:03 AM
Downside is its a bevel base design and a ring
of lube forms when using a sizer lubricator

You mean OTHER than a Star. Star =s no lube ring.

dualsport
07-14-2011, 11:28 AM
dualsport: you lost me there. I thought the OP was about .45acp H&G 68 Lee clone bullet mold?

If indeed this is the OP intent, my experience is this six cavity Lee Mold drops excellent bullets and are very accurate in all my 1911 pistols. Downside is its a bevel base design and a ring
of lube forms when using a sizer lubricator and one had to wipe that ring off the base of bullet.

Accuracy is such, I am not going to alter the mold to eliminate the bevel.

There is data written that bevel based bullets are prone to leading or contributing to leading of barrels. I have not found that to be the case but that may be situational dynamics with my alloy, sizing, and weapons bore diameters and powder choices.

Oops. I lost my place, mentally. Have too many projects going at once I guess. (Or I'm losing it). I'm working on loads for my .357 for ppc and got them mixed up. A friend here has sent me a bag of the Lee #68 clone to try in my .45. I will try them lightly tumble lubed and sized in a Lee push thru .451/.452. Also a lube/sizer at .451 with my home made lube. I have high hopes for this boolit, the inexpensive 6 cavity mold is a real good deal.

Old Caster
07-14-2011, 04:18 PM
There is a Lee group buy 6 cavity out there also that has a flat base. I have one but don't think it is anything better than bevel unless you have the lube problem. Another thing to think about is that the flat is slower to load than a bevel base. Like so many things that are argued about, it is personal preference.

milprileb
07-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Doby,

The Star is in the que for purchase. Its money well spent , just money not in hand at the moment.

Doby45
07-14-2011, 08:19 PM
There you go brother, I can not begin to tell you how pleased you will be. ;)

MtGun44
07-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Not a clone, more a "sorta like" than a clone.

Bill