PDA

View Full Version : Ammo storage

straightarrow
06-22-2011, 09:55 AM
I store my reloads on end with the primer down to keep the powder away from the tumble lube on the back of the bullet. Does anybody think it makes a difference one way or the other.

Baja_Traveler
06-22-2011, 10:09 AM
I don't tumble lube (I use a lubrisizer) but I had 100 30-30 reloads stored primer up for close to 20 years with no problems. They all fired just fine even though there always is a little lube on the base of the boolit.

edler7
06-22-2011, 10:20 AM
I've thought about this with TL bullets. My take is even if some powder is stuck to the lube on the bullet base, it's still going to burn along with the rest of the powder, so it shouldn't make a difference.

I can't find any unburned powder on bullets I recover after shooting.

Von Gruff
06-22-2011, 07:24 PM
Most of my boxes for rifle cartridges allow primer down but pistol boxes I set primer up for ease and speed of getting the cartridges our of the box. Never any worries over powder on lube whether for plinking loads or for high velocity-pressure loads.

Von Gruff.

Blammer
06-22-2011, 08:32 PM
good grief, don't you guys shoot any? Storing ammo for longer than a month? That's crazy! lol

Calamity Jake
06-23-2011, 09:05 AM
I've always stored pistol ammo primer up, have used LLA and lubesized boolits with never
a problem with them going BANG.

Rifle ammo goes primer down cause I want all that powder as close to the primer as I can get it.

gray wolf
06-23-2011, 09:28 AM
My lube sized pistol ammo goes in zip lock bags and then in a cardboard box.
I know better but I can't do better.
Never had a problem, the bases on my bullets are clean when I load.
They are stored in a cool place, 70* or lower.
45/45/10 is knew to me but I am told there is no degradation of the powder,( will see )

Jim
06-23-2011, 09:31 AM
I've got handgun and rifle ammo stored. Some of each is tumble lubed and some of each is pan lubed. I have no particular order of storage with respect to nose up or down. Some is in boxes, vertically, and some is in Zip-lok bags, laying on its side. I've never had an issue with any of it failing to fire.
I will say, though, that all of it is in a decommissioned refrigerator with desiccant and the temperature is controlled as it is in the house.

firefly1957
06-23-2011, 09:36 AM
I wonder how many complaints of excess smoke are from lube on bullet base or in powder?

Shiloh
06-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Loaded boolits, both tumble lube style and conventional lube style. All loose in steel ammo cans, all positions. They work fine.

Shiloh

Char-Gar
06-23-2011, 10:39 AM
I don't use tumble lube, I wipe the base of the bullets and don't load with any lube exposed to the powder. Therefore, It doesn't much matter how the ammo is stored.

casterofboolits
06-23-2011, 09:20 PM
I had the oppertunity to purchase a large quantity of MTM 100 round boxes directly from the factory about 20 years, so the majority of my pistol rounds are stored primer up. Puitting them thru a Star leaves no lube on the bases.

MT Gianni
06-23-2011, 10:26 PM
I think if lube could get hot enough to melt and affect powder it would only happen if it was stored primer down or sideways. I try to store my ib controlled temperatures which I think is a far better method. I do generally store primer up in cases, but have some in old bank bags stored any which way.

bbqncigars
06-24-2011, 07:37 PM
For longer term (>4 weeks), I'm with Shiloh. Ammo cans in good condition, with a rechargeable desiccant inside.

big dale
06-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Shiloh has this thing wired. For 45ACP I simply fill an ammo can with the reloads dumped in as they come off the press. When it is empty, I just fill it up again. Thisasin't rocket science...just shoot a bunch and have a lot of fun.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

williamwaco
06-24-2011, 09:44 PM
================================================== ==============

Loaded boolits, both tumble lube style and conventional lube style. All loose in steel ammo cans, all positions. They work fine.

Shiloh

================================================== ==============

Me too. I just toss them in a box. I have been storing handgun ammo that way for over 50 years. I have some in my shop now that is 39 years old and shoots reliably and accurately. It has been stored in a Texas garage. Temperature ranging from 10 degrees to 110 degrees. Storage and lube is not something you need to worry about.

XWrench3
06-25-2011, 09:23 AM
i have never chronoed a dozen tl boolits against a dozen conventionally lubed ones with the exact same load. but every tl boolit i have ever loaded has gone boom as long as the primer works. and i load some pretty light loads. the kids love shooting the 38 special as long as the load is light, so i usea #00 rotor in my little dandy with bullseye and 105g lee cast swc boolits. they actually do a pretty good job.