PDA

View Full Version : First blood with my cast

bootsnthejeep
06-22-2011, 07:31 AM
At least I'm pretty sure, I think this is the first critter I've dispatched with my very own cast bullets. Most all other problem critters got it from the 22 or the shotgun.

Anyway. Also first blood at my new living quarters. Nice spot in front of 110 privately owned acres that I have access to. Landlord has a sprawling operation, lots of good cultch, and the man is a gardening nut, couple of nice big well-fenced gardens.

So I'm heading up back to get my ATV to move one of my utility trailers, and in the brush I see something moving. I know there's a massive groundhog floating around in the area that he's been trying to put lead to and hasn't succeeded yet. I investigate. Big ol' porcupine.

And I have a particular dislike for quill pigs. And this one seems to homing in on the delicious looking wooden fence to the garden and the delicious sprouts therein.

Back to the house on the jog. He's not going far. Grab the K-38 with my NOE 358429s over Unique (Why couldn't it have been one of my hollowpoints? DRAT!) and just for good measure, grab the Rossi 22 pump gun with the sub-sonics. Back up to the last known area, he's only meandered about 5 feet. I step over in front of him, and he bristles up. Don't threaten me with a good time, sweetheart.

170 grains of 50/50 in the boiler room rolled him over and sent him to kicking. It was a tad louder than I expected near the house, and not wanting to disturb the neighbors anymore than necessary OR incur the wrath of the local cops, and now that porky was in a more amiable mood, I sallied forth with the 22 and deposited one in the noodle. That set him out straight.

The other reason for termination was my landlord's rottie. Nice dog, but kinda dumb, and I wouldn't want to see his dumb mug with a face full of quills form a live OR dead porky, so then I lugged the fat bugger up back and buried him. But facts is facts, I really detest quill pigs. They're just as sneaky and destructive as red squirrels, just bigger and have bigger "leavings". I'll leave them alone in the woods, but not around the homestead.

Now, to start learning the habits of that groundhog...

Olevern
06-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Great benefits to living in the country. I carry a handgun around my place more often than not, amazing the targets of opportunity that happen by when you are not expectin it.

stubert
06-22-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm on 6 acres in the middle of a couple hundred, I don't leave the house unarmed. I shoot woodchucks, skunks,on sight. I leave the deer alone until October.

Jailer
06-22-2011, 08:10 PM
I've been stalking a family of woodchucks living in my brush pile for a week now. I'm not burning the brush until I get a chance to shoot all 4 of those destructive little things.

Baron von Trollwhack
06-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Now you can also change varmint pistol caliberss to get a better "report."

BvT

Hang Fire
06-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Remember porkies blinding and killing a lot of dogs every year in AK, if impaled in the eyes or nostrils, quills work their way right into the brain. They are dumb and not fast moving, so no need to shoot them unless up a tree, stout stick to the head is all it takes.

When available, one could survive very well on porkies in AK if lost etc. But don't expect too much meat, they may look big, but mostly all guts and quills, and, always skin from the belly side, quills are barbed and hell to get out if in deep. Quills are almost painless when they penetrate the flesh, I have had them stuck deep in leg muscles and just itched at first, but cutting the hollow quills to deflate them and pulling out with pliers is very painful

firefly1957
06-22-2011, 10:53 PM
Thank you those things are nasty and I have had them turn on me it is far better/safer to shoot them than to club them to death.

Over the years I have noticed it is hard to stop (Collapse) a porky with a single shot if it does not hit spine or brain. 22LR 38 .380 44/45 round nose all will kill but rarely stop them .45 acp 44 special/Magnum with semi wadcutters or hollow points usually knocks them out. Of course a rifle caliber works well I really like the 30-06 with 110gr hollow points often they do not exit. Another odd thing is that those quills will stop a short range shot charge (from a 12 gauge) the impact may still kill it though.

Dutchman
06-23-2011, 01:24 AM
Ik ben bergratjägermeister. The only good woodchuck is a dead woodchuck.

http://images19.fotki.com/v207/photos/2/28344/1676633/scan0025x-vi.jpg

http://images7.fotki.com/v129/photos/2/28344/318494/rodentthingie-vi.jpg

http://images54.fotki.com/v555/photos/2/28344/318494/bigdaddy9-vi.jpg

http://images51.fotki.com/v732/photos/2/28344/318494/a2-vi.jpg

http://images51.fotki.com/v732/photos/2/28344/318507/marmot66-vi.jpg

1Shirt
06-23-2011, 09:50 AM
Just gotta love the pics of the chuck, and particularly with a Swed! Chucks were pleantiful when I was a kid in western N.Y. Not so many now, and access to land is really tough.

As far as I can remember my first kill with a cast (in a rifle at least) was on a chuck in an apple orchard not far from Gettysburg, Pa. Think it was with a 30-30 in a 340 Sav, at probably 60 yds. Probably with 311291 as that was the only 30 cal mold I owned at that time, and it was probably loaded with 3031 or 2400. My friend who was with me and who spotted the shot said he had never seen a hit quite like that one. He said that on impact, the body sort of just puffed up like a ballon, and then settled back to normal. Can't remember where I hit the critter, but know the blt didn't exit, and that the chuch never moved. That was 35 or more years ago, but is a good memory none the less.

My most memorable cast kill was on a prettly good Rusky Boar in Tex. about 8-9 years ago. It was over bait, about 65 yds with a #1 Ruger in 45-70 with a 405gr. Ohas plain base flat nose over 26 gr of 2400 with dac filler. (My load for my rifle, and not a recommendation for anybody else). After recoil what I saw in the scope was 4 legs in the air sticking up above over 300 lbs of pork. Another good memory. Gotta go to Tex. and do that again.:bigsmyl2:
1Shirt!:coffee: