PDA

View Full Version : My Pedersoli Gibbs is here!

Fly
06-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Wow I can't wait to shoot this big boy.I need to figure out how the scale
is gradurated thow.But looking this rifle over I'm very impressed.

And boy what huge bullets for a 45 cal 535 gr.I have the mold, lube &sizer
& the whole deal.

WOW HOO!
Fly:holysheep

Boz330
06-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Did you get a platinum lined nipple? A standard one won't last but a few shots till it wears out far enough to blow the hammer back. My buddy is using a stainless steel one from South Africa but those aren't available in this country. He tried to find the flavor of stainless but none of his metal suppliers carried it. He got a season and a half out of the last one before the hole got too big.

Bob

idahoron
06-21-2011, 06:10 PM
I am resisting the urge to say you stink. :^)
I am so jealous right now. Please post a picture. Ron

mooman76
06-21-2011, 07:31 PM
All that excitment and no pictures?

Fly
06-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Boz I just ordered that nipple.But till it comes in I'm stuck & hope it last till the other comes in.I will
post a pic & my first target with this bad boy.

I plan to test my home made powder in it as soon as I get it lined out with some Swiss.

Fly

plourbag
05-22-2012, 03:29 AM
You convinced me.. Just ordered one and should arrive next week at my local gunshop so I'm as excited as you in your first post. Trouble is that here in Oz, I can't pick it up until I get a Permit to Purchase/Acquire (by post). No problems for me obtaining one except for a wait whilst bureaucracy drink their coffee and finally decide to get around to their "in" tray. Meanwhile I will read as much as I can find on the net, order a platinum nipple and some goodies from your excellent suppliers in the US and keep casting the paper patch slugs that I already use in my Pedersoli sharps. As they patch out to .450 I'm hoping they might fit the Gibbs, if not, they won't go to waste.

Boz330
05-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Mine came in a week ago yesterday. It was slightly used but looked new.
The beryllium nipples work good and not near as expensive as the Platinum lined. The South Africans are making a stainless nipple that works very well also at a much cheaper price, if you can find them.

Fly, are you shooting a grease groove boolit and if so what size and where did you get the mold?

Bob

451 Pete
05-22-2012, 08:40 AM
:)Congratulations fellas. As has been mentioned here before the Pedersoli Gibbs is the most accurate commercially available muzzle loading rifle currently available and I am pretty sure you will not be disapointed with it. The Gibbs represents the final development of the muzzle loader prior to the start of the cartridge era for long range shooting. They are kind of the Throughbred's of muzzle loading.

Fly , I have heard through the grapevine that you may be coming to Friendship in a few weeks for the Spring Shoot. I sure hope you can make it as I am very much looking forward to meeting you.

When you bring your rifle to the part of the main range that we use to shoot Long Range Muzzle Loading Rifle you will no doubt be offered several informal class's by the shooters that we hold down there. Take advantage of these. This will cut several years of trial and error from your learning curve in learning how to load and shoot your rifle. We have a great bunch of guys that very much enjoy sharing thier knowledge and what they have learned. Vernier Sight Adjustment 101 and The Wind is Your Friend will be two of these that you may want to take notes on. Plan on starting a log book to keep track of range conditions and sight settings to refer back to .... it helps.

Take care and hope to meet you in a few weeks .... Pete

Fly
05-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Mine came in a week ago yesterday. It was slightly used but looked new.
The beryllium nipples work good and not near as expensive as the Platinum lined. The South Africans are making a stainless nipple that works very well also at a much cheaper price, if you can find them.

Fly, are you shooting a grease groove boolit and if so what size and where did you get the mold?

Bob

Well I got my mold & sizer with my gun.I also got some paper patched
bullets with it.Yep Pete I'm coming & I'm going to bring you some of my home made powder, my friend.

Looking forword to meeting you also.

Fly

Boz330
05-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Fly,
Do you have any idea what day or days you will be there? Pete and Alan will probably be there all week and normally I'm there with some other friends on Tuesday. Dick Hoff, my shooting buddy, is very proficient at long range shooting and would be a wealth of information. He is a pretty fair amateur machinist and I think you and him would hit it off pretty well. He is pretty anal retentive about shooting so he can bore you to death.

Joe was talking about coming as well.

Bob

DIRT Farmer
05-22-2012, 11:05 PM
If we can figure an evening when all will be there, I may have to bring an extra dutch oven or two. There a few fair to great camp cooks in the group.
I plan on getting up on the 8th, and plan on being up all week, however I got invited to a fish fry in Topeka to eat some croppie that my grand daughters cought. I may cut out a day or so early.
Alan

DIRT Farmer
05-22-2012, 11:07 PM
BTW Hubertus is planning to be there the first weekend

wgr
05-22-2012, 11:35 PM
be nice if a bunch of us could meet. Last year at the fall shoot i passed on a gibbs and a bunch of extras still kicking my self

Fly
05-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Well guy's I can be there when ever.Let's plan on when & were to meet.It will
be great meeting up with you guy's.
Fly

451 Pete
05-23-2012, 05:15 PM
I will be at Camp Atterbury on the Thursday and Friday prior to the start of things at Friendship. If any of you would like to attend a long range black powder cartridge and muzzle loading match to see how well those rifles can do send me a PM here on this site and I will get your contact information to get you access into the military base and directions. We will be shooting 800 and 900 on Thursday and 1000 on Friday.
Saturday and Sunday on the 9th and 10th I will be at Friendship helping at the Youth Range from 1-4 pm.... other than that and a BOD meeting on Wednesday I am free for the rest of the week.

take care and see you soon .... Pete

Tatume
05-25-2012, 07:11 AM
Did you get a platinum lined nipple? A standard one won't last but a few shots till it wears out far enough to blow the hammer back. My buddy is using a stainless steel one from South Africa but those aren't available in this country. He tried to find the flavor of stainless but none of his metal suppliers carried it. He got a season and a half out of the last one before the hole got too big.

Bob

Hi Folks,

I've been using a bronze nipple in a Parker-Hale Volunteer shooting a 450 gr bullet over 90 gr of FFFg powder for a couple of years now. Although I have a brand new one from Track of the Wolf, I've not been tempted to open the package yet.

Take care, Tom

Fly
05-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Hi Folks,

I've been using a bronze nipple in a Parker-Hale Volunteer shooting a 450 gr bullet over 90 gr of FFFg powder for a couple of years now. Although I have a brand new one from Track of the Wolf, I've not been tempted to open the package yet.

Take care, Tom

Yea the bronze nipples are really good.You can replace them every
so often, & come out $ a head offer the platinum lined nipples as
I was told.
Fly:coffee:

Tatume
05-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Hi Fly,

The bronze nipple was $6. I'm glad I got one when I did, because they do not have them now. They have the bronze nipple with the correct thread for # 11 caps, but not for musket caps. I expect they are just out of them, and will get some eventually. Does your rifle take 5/16-18 threads, or is it metric?

Take care, Tom

Fly
05-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Man I can't say off the top of my head.It's a Gibb's like the others have.I buy
mine from Track of the Wolf.
Fly

DIRT Farmer
05-26-2012, 10:17 PM
It seems it is a #11 1/4 x 28. My Volenteer uses a metric threaded nipplie in musket.

MBTcustom
05-26-2012, 10:32 PM
You really got something against pictures don't you?
I wanna see, I wanna see, I wanna see, I wanna see, I wanna see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please be kind, this is as close as some of us will ever come too such sweetness.

DIRT Farmer
05-27-2012, 09:46 AM
I know it is a bit of a drive for you but if you could make it to Friendship, I would venture that you would have the plesure af seeing several from new reproductions to origonals on the line. I would futher guess that youmight get the plesure of hearing the ring of steel at 500 yds from a shot you fired.
The only down side is you may be subjected to hours ofdiscussion on the history and the temperment of the several designs. (if that is a down side, talking guns that is)

Fly
05-27-2012, 04:11 PM
You really got something against pictures don't you?
I wanna see, I wanna see, I wanna see, I wanna see, I wanna see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please be kind, this is as close as some of us will ever come too such sweetness.

Well this is my Gibb's, if it helps.
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i384/Fly61/DSCN0486-1.jpg

John Boy
05-27-2012, 04:56 PM
As has been mentioned here before the Pedersoli Gibbs is the most accurate commercially available muzzle loading rifle currently available and I am pretty sure you will not be disapointed with it.
As a representation of the accuracy of the Pedersoli Gibbs, check out the list of international matches that the rifle has won ... http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tipologia-prodotti.asp/l_en/idt_1/rifles-gibbs.html

rhbrink
05-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Enough talk and pictures when is the shooting report coming?:popcorn:

Richard

Boz330
05-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Enough talk and pictures when is the shooting report coming?:popcorn:

Richard

Your wish is my command.

Got with my shooting partner yesterday, who has been shooting a gibbs for several years now. We started the day with paper patching lessons only to find out that the patched boolit was a little small in the bore. So we used a pound die to bump the diameter up for the paper he had. I also had some greasers to try as well.
Got to the range and set up a target on the 300yd line. We used some of my buddy's dope from years ago to guess at the sight settings. 95gr of KIK a cork wad and the paper patched boolit and the first round was low and left on the target. After sight adjustment the next round was a 10 and I went for group. I got 9 rounds down range before a thunderstorm drove us to cover. The result was 2- 9s, 2- 10s, and 5-Xs. Had I raised the sights a half MOA the 2-9s would have been 10s. All rounds were shot over cross sticks since we were try to see what the rifle was capable of.

After the rain quit I went back and shot 5 greasers before the heat and humidity as well as the late hour got to me. The group for the greasers wasn't quit as good but within 2 MOA and lower on the target than the paper patched rounds.

Considering this was the first load I tried I was more than pleased. Of course I was the beneficiary of my partners prior trials and tribulations with the Gibbs. I already have a PHD from the school of hard knocks and have figured out that it is much easier to go to school on other's mistakes.

Did I mention that I am pleased as Punch with my rifle.[smilie=w:

Bob

Fly
05-29-2012, 10:27 AM
That's why I need help,Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Fly

rhbrink
05-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the report Boz330 sounds like you have a shooter. Bet after you get work with it for a while it'll get better and better! All this talk about Friendship and muzzleloaders is starting to make me think about going back there one of these days probably been 35 years or so since I've been there. When I was last there the only long range shooting going on was the slug guns and some heavy round ball guns shooting at Never-Never Land (200 yds).

Richard

Boz330
05-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Richard, the mini creedmore targets are at 500yds. They are really a hoot when you hear that sucker ring after your shot. You tell most folks that you are shooting a ML at those distances and further and they think you are pulling there leg.
10 years ago I would have thought the same thing.

Bob

Newtire
12-28-2020, 04:24 PM
Since I bought mine used and don’t know if the nipple is platinum lined or not, is there a way to tell if it’s a platinum lined one or not?

oldracer
12-28-2020, 06:40 PM
I have had a Gibbs for several years (8 I think?) now and shoot it about once or twice a year and so far I can shoot it well (4 inch circle) at 300 yards. Here's what I do. First make sure the patent breach is cleaned out completely, next I make sure I use pure lead bullets either the Pedersoli stub nose (529 grain grease groove) or a Creedmoor 540 grain grease groove bullet. I use a 0.060 fiber wad on top of the powder that was put in using that long funnel Pedersoli sells, no compression of either. The bullet rides the bore with the weight of the cleaning rod enough to make it bottom. I use 80 grains of Goex FFG powder or if it is really hot (100 degrees) I'll go up to 90 grains. To adjust for windage I use either the front or rear adjustments/ The front has a lock screw, mine is on the left side of the sight, loosen it, move the globe then lock it. I check the trigger pull now and then and mine is a clean 15 ozs where if you compete in the world championship matches it has to be 2#, no less. Mt Gibbs weighs 11lb, 14oz so it is under the 12# max weight of an unloaded rifle. I do shoot with a strap but last I checked it can only be attached permanently in one place, where the sling swivel is, the other end is wrapped around the gun? These are an amazing rifle and ol' Mr Pedersoli takes a huge amount of pride in them. Just make sure to get the patent breech cleaned.
John

Saltner
12-31-2020, 06:13 AM
Congratulations, you'll have fun with that muzzleloader.
Here is a report on my experiences that you will still find in the forum.
https://blog.davide-pedersoli.com/developing-load-for-45-cal-pedersoli-gibbs-rifle/
Unfortunately my Gibbs is dead, the barrel didn't last long, I suspect the steel of these barrels is poor.

Boz330
12-31-2020, 11:06 AM
Since I bought mine used and don’t know if the nipple is platinum lined or not, is there a way to tell if it’s a platinum lined one or not?

If you pull the nipple you should be able to see the Platinum insert. The Platinum nipples are pretty expensive.
My buddy that I spoke of earlier developed a stainless nipple that is cheaper and seems to hold up as well as the Platinum. Unfortunately he passed and the ones he made are no longer available. I have one in my Gibbs that is approaching 1000 rounds with no indication of serious wear. I check it with a torch cleaning set.

Bob