PDA

View Full Version : 3220 92

Lloyd Smale
06-21-2011, 06:08 AM
got my 3220 back from steve young. Hes a smith that specializes in cowboy action shooting. The guns been a money pit. Started with my buddy AL. He wanted a 32mag levergun so he bought a 357 rossi 92 and sent it to reggie nonoman. Regie fitted it with an oct barrel chambered in 32 mag and did the nessisay action work. It took Al 3 years to get the gun back and when he did it ran like ****. Well at the same time he had reggie build him a 50ak and that one too didnt run right. He sent the 50ak to ben forkin who got it right but he had a bit of money into it. He couldnt afford to do the same with the 32 so it sat. he had 300 into buying the gun and another 800 into the work.

One day i was at his house and we were looking at it and he said give me 300 and you can have it. Well i did and regretted it a few times. MY firs attempt was to send it to dave clements. He told me the only way he could get it to work would be to convert to 3220. I had to complaints with that and told him to go for it. He did and i got it back shortly and it did run a bit better then before but still no where near exceptable. Cost with shipping both ways was 280 bucks.

Well the gun sat again for a couple years and then i was told about steve young. He specializes in 92s. I didnt want to stick more money into this gun but had enough in it allready that i guess it was worth rolling the dice again. Well i got it back and other then its a pain in the but to load those shells though that loading gate it runs just fine and still shoots as well as it originaly did. The group in this picture was shot yesterday. It was shot off the bench at 75 yards. Load was a 118 groupbuy lfngc. the 314640 bullet. Cast out of #2 and lubed with felix lube. 14 grains of lilgun and a federal small pistol match mag primer. I just threw that load together to make it go bang. turns on it shoots great. IF i remeber right the gun shot well with about everything.

thinking of popping a pig with it sometime soon.

Jeff H
06-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Sounds like a great rifle.
Probably best to forget about the money and enjoy it now that it works.

Swampman
06-21-2011, 04:24 PM
I had a vintage Marlin .32-20 like that. I finally gave up on it. I'm glad yours worked out.

Calamity Jake
06-23-2011, 09:31 AM
"Well i got it back and other then its a pain in the but to load those shells though that loading gate it runs just fine and still shoots as well as it originaly did. "

That FN boolit is the loading problem, it wants to hang up on the edge of the mag tube, you can take the mag tube out and chamfer/radius the inside edge for a little help with loading
or you can go to a RF or RN boolit, or just live with it.

Ben
06-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Lloyd Smale :

For a nice 32/20 lever that shoots like that, ......In my opinion, this isn't too much money to invest.
I believe you're going to like that rifle.

Ben

John Taylor
06-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Steve Young and I have worked through a few gun problems in the past. He does know his 92's. I have one of his guns in the shop now but that's another story.