PDA

View Full Version : Little ones

NoZombies
06-20-2011, 11:44 PM
Okay, so it came up in another thread that a 23 grain .22 button nose was the *third* smallest bullet that I currently cast. I was asked to post photos of the smaller stuff that I cast, so I will in this thread, but I'd also like to see the little stuff that other people cast as well.

From left to right:

.225 button nose (about 23 grains) .20 hollow base spitzer (about 15 grains) and a .185" round ball (about 9.5 grains) All of these are cast from Single cavity molds.

http://nozombies.com/cast/small.jpg

Von Gruff
06-21-2011, 12:03 AM
Impressive little line up.

I am promarily interested in the 20 Cal.

What do you shoot the 20 cal in. Where did you get the mould. Is it for paper or have you shot pests with it. What velocity are you getting it to and what range do you use it over.

Edit to add: Sorry I just re-read the origional post and see it is for an air rifle.

Von Gruff.

BCall
06-21-2011, 12:08 AM
Love to see that 22 button nose mold. Got any details on it? Thanks, Billy

HARRYMPOPE
06-21-2011, 12:09 AM
My buddy has a .14 cal mold for the .14 Jones.I have to see it i can get a sample.

NoZombies
06-21-2011, 12:43 AM

All I have right now is a crappy photo of the mold, I don't have the mold here, so I'll try to get a better photo in the next day or so. There's no marking as to manufacture, just ".22x.250" and a few letters, I can't remember the letters, but I'll update when I take photos. It has 3 alignment pins, and is cut from iron. It's probably the easiest of my .22 molds to cast from, (open the handles, and the bullet drops out, every single time, no rapping on the handle hinge or need to pressure cast) and drops bullets at .226 from WW or .225 from 40-1. I haven't shot them yet, but I think stacking 2 in a hornet over 1 gr bullseye could be a fun load...

The .20 mold is .200 and would be a little small in any of the .20 firearms I think, and being hollow based, I don't think it would handle much pressure before blowing the skirt. I've been tempted to try paper patching HB molds before, and I'm just crazy enough to try something like that with this in a 5mm craig or similar.

41mag
06-21-2011, 08:48 PM
I haven't shot them yet, but I think stacking 2 in a hornet over 1 gr bullseye could be a fun load...

Boy I bet a bucket of WW goes a ways with those....

As to your above comment, about two years back I had some work done on my knee. Well the first afternoon sitting here at the house with everything nice and quite I hear thump, thump, thump, across my ceiling. Well from past experience I knew immediately it was at least one of the neighborhoods pet squirrels. I hobbled in to my gunsafe and found that I had left my .22 up in the country so the rat shot was out of the question.

I did however spot something that just had to be tried out. There sitting on the shelf was a can of .22 caliber pellets, right along side my Contender with the .223 AI barrel already mounted on it. I guess it was a sign from above, as the boredom was killing me already. So gathering things up now came the how to get it to work process.

It only took me an hour or so before I had a box full of newspaper ready at the end of the hallway, and a loaded round in the chamber ready to be tested. Turned out that by simply neck sizing about half the neck, the pellet could be hand seated perfectly into the case.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/41nag/Shooting/P1010018.jpg

Loaded at first with only a standard primer it simply bounced off the box. So the mag primers came out. This was a bit better but still only went through the first layer of cardboard and a couple of layers of paper.

Could have been the pain meds, but this just seemed a little lackluster for a bonified wild squirrel killing round. So the next logical thing was to add powder. Looking over all I had on hand, some of the Salute simply jumped off the shelf and into my hand. It seemed like divine intervention once again. I already had images of dead squirrels going through my head as they continued to run to and fro in the attic. So taking the smallest Lee scoop form the set, I dipped up about hald a scoop and poured it into the case and seated the pellet.

The first shot was impressive to say the least. IT went through my box full of paper, and into the archery bag target I had sitting behind it. Now bear in mind this was only 6 or so inches of paper, if that, but I was NOT expecting it to drive all the way through plus the double sided box. Al I could do was laugh, and load up more.

To be honest, the squirrel died WAY to fast, and did not ever realize the joy I had in pulling the trigger on him. The rest of the day was spent shooting my little toy down the hall until the wife came home from work and asked me to knock it off.

NoZombies
06-22-2011, 03:00 AM

Here are some photos of the mold itself, the blocks are a bit bigger than Lyman 2 cavity blocks. The pin and set screw is how the mold attaches to the handles.

As you can see, besides the mold designation of ".22x.250" The only markings are "MOS" and "067"

Maybe someone can figure out who made this one?

http://nozombies.com/cast/bn-1.jpg

http://nozombies.com/cast/bn-2.jpg

NoZombies
06-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Anyone got any ideas on the identity of that mold?

HORNET
06-23-2011, 09:31 AM
I seem to recall a custom moldmaker named Dave Mos, whose work was very highly thought of. It could be one of his.

firefly1957
06-23-2011, 09:44 AM
I wonder if that 20 would work in my pellet gun? it is Sheridan Blue streak.

It seems a pound swage die would work better on such a small bullet.

BCall
06-23-2011, 11:17 AM
The 20 was originally made for pellet guns.

Thanks for the pic NoZombies. That's a neat little mold. I think David Mos is still making some molds now. You might try to get ahold of him and see if it is one of his. With the Mos on it, that would be my guess. I don't have any of his molds, but I seem to recall something about them having 3 alignment pins, but I could be wrong. Much appreciated, Billy

NoZombies
06-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Billy,

Yessir, the .20 is used in my blue streak, but I haven't shot them enough to say much beyond that they work and are no worse accuracy wise than anything else I've tried. They did seem to work well on the starlings I shot, but I'm pretty sure those things will blow up if you look at them funny.

I'll have to look more into David Mos. The mold is neat, and really does cast well.